Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 415 of 714 FirstFirst ... 315 365 405 413 414 415 416 417 425 465 515 ... LastLast
Results 10,351 to 10,375 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have not read The Idiot, but one of the books I listed in the "15 books of my life" thread (post 79--I'm not sure how to link to a single post) was Crime and Punishment, which I read in high school AP English. I really liked that book! It was one of my first introductions to "world literature."

I liked it so much I chose for my term paper a compare and contrast study between C & P and The Brothers Karamazov, which I also read and enjoyed.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I got maybe 40 pages in before I gave up on Crime and Punishment. I might revisit it again to see if my perspective has changed .... someday ...

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to know how to spell his damne name. My copy of The Idiot says Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment says Dostoyevsky. It's been bugging me for sometime.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I want to know how to spell his damne name. My copy of The Idiot says Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment says Dostoyevsky. It's been bugging me for sometime.
    Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский, actually. Different translators spell it differently when they translate it into English.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Of Mice and Men, Mattrick. I hope you like it.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never liked Crime and Punishment too much (maybe I got to reread it), but I love The Karamazov Brothers, and especially The Devils (don't know how it is usually translated into English - it's Бесы)

and Mattrick, I agree that Dostoyevsky is great at dialog and monologue!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Of Mice and Men was an excellent little book. Very nice to read such a short book after The Idiot and Under The Dome. I think I may have enjoyed Of Mice and Men more if I wasn' so familiar with the story, the end and what leads up to it. Still it was a very good read, good enough I read most of it in a sitting.

Next up I'm reading 'The Lesson of the Master' by Henry James. After that I'm not to sure...will have to look through my books. Maybe if I throw down a few books some of you can make me recommendations. I've got...

Mansfield Park and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    Notes From the Underground and Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

Going to go to a used book store in a few weeks and hope fully find some Vonnegut to read. Want to read more of him.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas .
    bears recommend!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Paused reading Game of Thrones to start reading Shada, based on a "lost" Douglas Adams story. Will let you know what I think of it as a novel later.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas .
    bears recommend!
    Mansfield Park is one of my favorites by Austen. Right along with Persuasion, and Northanger Abbey. I was never a fan of Pride & Prejudice though.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

why?

No, wait, I mean -

WHY?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I don't know. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. It's easily my least favorite Austen. Which I guess is kinda funny since it seems to be the one that everyone loves. I just prefer the others. How would you rank them Jean?

Country
    Country Flag

wonderful question!! have never tried; then again, I haven't read all of them

I think for today it's:

1. Emma
    2. Mansfield Park AND Sense and Sensibility
    3. Pride and Prejudice AND Northanger Abbey

oops... seems like it's the last here, too...

what's your ranking?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Of Mice and Men was an excellent little book. Very nice to read such a short book after The Idiot and Under The Dome. I think I may have enjoyed Of Mice and Men more if I wasn' so familiar with the story, the end and what leads up to it. Still it was a very good read, good enough I read most of it in a sitting.
    One of my favorite novels of all time. I remember the first time we read it as a class in jr. high, I would actually look forward to going to class and reading out loud.

wonderful question!! have never tried; then again, I haven't read all of them

I think for today it's:

1. Emma
    2. Mansfield Park AND Sense and Sensibility
    3. Pride and Prejudice AND Northanger Abbey

oops... seems like it's the last here, too...

what's your ranking?
    1. Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, Mansfield Park
    2. Sense & Sensibility
    3. Emma
    4. Pride & Prejudice

You didn't like Northanger Abbey, or just not as much as the others? And you need to read Persuasion if you haven't

Country
    Country Flag

I forgot to say that I absolutely loved all of them! and the ranking can change any moment

Of course I need to read Persuasion. I haven't been unable to get it yet, but being a big Austen fan, I will sooner or later!

P.S. We both have S&S at the second position

P.P.S. If even the present conversation doesn't lure Brice back to us, nothing will.

I forgot to say that I absolutely loved all of them! and the ranking can change any moment

Of course I need to read Persuasion. I haven't been unable to get it yet, but being a big Austen fan, I will sooner or later!

P.S. We both have S&S at the second position

P.P.S. If even the present conversation doesn't lure Brice back to us, nothing will.
    So True! I think if we continue to discuss Austen and Argento, one of the two will bring him here

Do you do audiobooks Jean? They're all up on librivox.org

Country
    Country Flag

No, bears don't - or rather, never tried. Maybe they should.

Give it a shot. It's free, and you can always download one track and see if you like it before downloading the rest. I'd just recommend finding a version read by 1 person if it's available.

Country
    Country Flag

what has always stopped me is that I can't imagine a situation in which I listen to someone reading a book. How do people usually go about it?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

what has always stopped me is that I can't imagine a situation in which I listen to someone reading a book. How do people usually go about it?
    I have the same problem myself, Jean. Primarily because it gives the narration a 'voice', which in a lot of cases shouldn't be the case. (Unless it's first person. First person should have its own voice and personality, that's why I enjoy using it when writing.)

How do you feel about audio drama, though? (And when I say 'drama', what I really mean is any genre at all, including horror, of course, but told for the audio medium and with a cast rather than narrator?)

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never done audio book either. Don't think I ever will. I like to dictate the pace and tempo of any book I read.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Audio drama though, feev? Thoughts on that?

- Melike

I can only listen to audiobooks in the car, where my mind isn't occupied on other things. I have a long commute to work (over 1 hour) so it helps me pass the time.

Country
    Country Flag

bears have no car... and on overcrowded bus/subway it doesn't seem the best idea...

have never tried any audiodrama, either

+ Reply to Thread
Page 415 of 714 FirstFirst ... 315 365 405 413 414 415 416 417 425 465 515 ... LastLast