Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 390 of 714 FirstFirst ... 290 340 380 388 389 390 391 392 400 440 490 ... LastLast
Results 9,726 to 9,750 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by George Steinbrenner View Post
    I've got a bit of an embarrassment of riches. Brian Freeman bailed me out on a ltd of The Exorcist 40th Anniv. So I can go ahead and read my Amazon 1/1.
    Dammit! I missed out on the limited 40th Exorcist, and for only a hundred bucks I wouldn't jumped on it without thinking, even having the trade (which is sweet in itself). Only found out about the limited after it's been sold out

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
    Woo hoo! Then you'll be able to sit and wait 5 years with the rest of us for The Winds of Winter.
    All of a sudden, I'm depressed.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I know!

It's going to be especially agonizing because I think Dragons was the build up book and some awesome shit is going to go down in Winter.

Spoiler:
    A Targaryen invasion underway...hello!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

And once again, I am so glad I'm such a slow reader! Have yet to finish A Game of Thrones yet (though that's only because of all the other comics and books i've gotta read, such as American Gods. Just 30 pages more and I am done)! Thankfully, I don't have to worry about agonizing waits just yet.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys are all so positive and upbeat, I can hardly stand it!

Well, I became a fan before A Feast for Crows was released, so I know all about waiting. I can do it....I think!

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I doubt it will be 5 years, the show is gonna push him as long as they continue shooting it.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

True, true. But seriously, recommend something truely awesome because like I said, I'm in a super slump. I usually immediately start a book right after finishing one, but I've been without for 3 days now! Gah!

I waited so long on Ghost Story because I had let my dad borrow it and just got it back from him last week. But yea, Changes was SUCH a good book. I really liked Ghost Story, too. I really liked :

Spoiler:
    When he went into Bob's skull and I was totally surprised by the ending when we found out he arranged his own murder.
    Coming off of Dresden, you should read Hounded by Kevin Hearne. It has avery similar tone. It is the first of three books (with a fourth on the way) about a centuries old druid living in modern Arizona.
    Atticus O’Sullivan has been running for two thousand years and he’s a bit tired of it. After he stole a magical sword from the Tuatha Dé Danann (those who became the Sidhe or the Fae) in a first century battle, some of them were furious and gave chase, and some were secretly amused that a Druid had the cheek to defy them. As the centuries passed and Atticus remained an annoyingly long-lived fugitive, those who were furious only grew more so, while others began to aid him in secret.

Now he’s living in Tempe, Arizona, the very last of the Druids, far from where the Fae can easily find him. It’s a place where many paranormals have decided to hide from the troubles of the Old World—from an Icelandic vampire holding a grudge against Thor to a coven of Polish witches who ran from the German Blitzkrieg.

Unfortunately, the very angry Celtic god who wants that sword has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power, plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good, old-fashioned luck of the Irish to kick some arse and deliver himself from evil.
    http://www.kevinhearne.com/books

Now listen to me for a change and get it now.
    I'll make it easy. http://www.amazon.com/Hounded-Iron-D...9757268&sr=1-1
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm waiting for signed copies of The Night Eternal to show up on eBay. I LOVE the first two books. They're both signed by Del Toro and I'd like to get a matching set.

Brice, I'm sure you'll like Stalkers. The weakest story was IMO F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack 60 pager. The rest are all top notch.

I'm reading Wireless by Charles Stross. This is some serious hard sci-fi and I'm loving it. Some times I'll go back in the story thinking wtf did I just read. That's a good thing.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, after my 2 week break from anything to do with the show:

Now back to maximum fanboy status with a vengeance! I was pretty dissapointed with the last book that was written by a popular British scifi/fantasy writer for the show, in that case Michael Moorcock's The Coming of the Terraphiles, as the 11th Doctor and Amy seemed to be extremely bland characters, if I'm honest. There were some fun ideas, but it was all a bit too strange and a bit too romp-ey for me. Bit of a chore to get through, really. Nearly 40 pages into this one, however, and I can tell I'm gonna enjoy it so much more. For a start, it actually feels like you're watching a Who story instead of just reading it at times, as the characterisation and the dialogue is spot on for the Doctor, Amy and Rory, and the plot moves pretty fast. There's also a few nice nods to continuity, not just with the old series but also the new, but it isn't written to feel unwelcome to newbies. I also like Dan Abnett's style of writing, especially in his 2000AD comics and what little I've read of his Warhammer 40k novels: not especially deep, but really great at the grim and grittiness of scifi. He's also good at the action, so I'm expecting some of that soon. Oh, one more thing: Ice Warriors! Why the hell these big green bastards haven't shown up in the new series yet I really don't know, they're some of my favourite looking monsters from the classic. My only real worry is that it might become a little too traditional Who, a book that gets the formula right but doesn't have anything really original or emotional to it, like one of those eps that are ok but not particularly memorable. I hope that's not the case, but for the moment, it suits my fanboy needs ok!

- Melike

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    I just started reading The Enemy by Charlie Higson...pretty good so far
    I really wanna read that. A zombie novel series for kids! Well, I've heard it's a new take on it at least, and I've heard that surprisingly it actually doesn't shy away from the violence and gore too much. Yeah, those are books I do want to get round to at some point.
    This is exactly why I bought the books. I wanted to share some zombie craziness with my kids and I was hoping this would fit the bill...so far so good.
    Cool, well let us know if it keeps up that quality throughout. I really want to see if Higson's writing is as good as his comedy stuff, and how he writes something as tricky as young adult stuff, too. Because it's one thing to write a zombie novel for adults and give them bloody violence, scares, and the difficulties of dealing with life after the apocalypse. It's another thing entirely writing that for a much younger audience, though.

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm only reading Under The Dome out of some misguided sense of obligation at this point. These are going to be the longest 175 pages of my life.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
    I'm only reading Under The Dome out of some misguided sense of obligation at this point. These are going to be the longest 175 pages of my life.
    What, you reading the abridged version?

"There was a town, and then a dome, and an evil politician. Then there was a fire and the dome went away the end."

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
    : dies :

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've got a confession to make, bears: I too thought UTD was boring, overlong and seriously dragged out.

Well that's what I've heard, anyway. I'm sure I'll have an opinion on it next year!

- Melike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved utd... And i feel no obligation to finish a book i'm not enjoying. If within 50 or so pages a book doesn't hold my attention i put it down and move on.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I also feel like I'm one of the few people who loved Under The Dome.

Right now I'm reading "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult. My aunt insisted I read it and forced a copy upon me, so I started it and I'm actually really enjoying it so far. I was a nanny to a boy with Asperger's Syndrome for 6 years and my step-son has Asperger's, so the subject matter is really interesting to me.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really liked Under the Dome, too. But I can understand why some people didn't.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I started out really liking it, but everything seemed to just drag on and on as the narrative went forward.

When you have your most interesting character sitting in a cell for 500 pages and make it so that the most noteworthy thing he does is drink out of a toilet bowl, you know you got a problem.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I also feel like I'm one of the few people who loved Under The Dome.

Right now I'm reading "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult. My aunt insisted I read it and forced a copy upon me, so I started it and I'm actually really enjoying it so far. I was a nanny to a boy with Asperger's Syndrome for 6 years and my step-son has Asperger's, so the subject matter is really interesting to me.
    Totally stopping recommending books when you ask
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Under the Dome also. Agreed, it did seem to drag a bit in the middle, but overall it was a good read.

John

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I realized recently that a problem I have with reading is that a lot of times I'll have something way too specific in mind when I'm looking for a new book. I do this when I go shopping too. Like I'll be looking for a skirt that has all these requirements, and then obviously I don't find it because I totally created exactly what I want in my mind.

For example, right now I really want to read a great love story that isn't corny or depressing and is realistic but maybe has like time travel or aliens or magic in it and also takes place in a place that isn't Earth. Am I going to find this book? Probz not.

In any case, I've been thinking of doing a full Harry Potter reread. I don't think I've read any of them since the 7th book came out.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe you should just write the books you want to read?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah! That's the only way I can find the story I'm looking for, after all.

It's just finishing the darn thing that's the trouble.

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 390 of 714 FirstFirst ... 290 340 380 388 389 390 391 392 400 440 490 ... LastLast