Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 214 of 714 FirstFirst ... 114 164 204 212 213 214 215 216 224 264 314 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,350 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I assumed the TV miniseries was based upon something, then again, I'm always off on things like this. For example, I didn't realize that there was a comic book series that was actually an adaptation of The Terminator until someone on this forum pointed it out to me.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm trying to read Darren Shan's Procession Of The Dead again. I started it last year and ended up dropping it in favour of something else. It's not a bad book, just starts a bit too slowly.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

[quote=William50;340506]
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by William50 View Post
    Im going to read me sooome E.A. Poe!!!
    I actually got a copy of his complete collection for christmas. I was going to start going thru it in between other books. It's been so long since I've read his stuff.QUOTE]

That is exactly what I do. After I finish a novel, I spend a few nights reading Poe stories.
    I have a copy of his stories only (no poems) from the late 1800s or early 1900s. It has some different titles and minor textual differences from our modern editions. I paid $1.00 for it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Nice find there Brice!
    I've actually got an old copy of this book called Handy Volume Classics, that's 13 tales from him. I'm not sure the date it was published, but there's an inscription in the front that's dated from Dec 25, 1910. So I'm assuming it was a christmas present to someone. I've also got an old copy of Murders in the Rue Morgue, but have no idea how old this one might be. I haven't gone thru either one, especially the first because it's about to fall apart, but now you've got me curious.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Raining and cold here today, so I stopped by my favorite bookstore and picked up Ghoul by Brian Keene.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I'm fully immersed in "Lion in the Valley" by Elizabeth Peters.
    I LOVE the Amelia Peabody mysteries!

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Stand - SK
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

2666 - Roberto Bolaño

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Country
    Country Flag

NICE SIG!!
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

have finished Coraline

triple meh

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, bummer! I really like it.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

I finished The Stand... and now I think I might just read some Poe.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Man, you're such a fast reader. I wish I could do that.
    And you can never go wrong with Poe. After reading a couple of stories, it was hard to tear myself away to go finish my other book.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Man, you're such a fast reader. I wish I could do that.
    And you can never go wrong with Poe. After reading a couple of stories, it was hard to tear myself away to go finish my other book.
    I do read quite quickly.

I've been reading alot of Poe's poetry over the past few weeks. I'm starting to like it more and more.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Just finished The Time Traveler's Wife last night. Excellent book! (Thanks Tempus Frangit )

Now reading All Yesterday's Parties: The Velvet Underground in Print which is a collection of articles and reviews of the VU compiled and edited by Clinton Heylin.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Oh, bummer! I really like it.
    ::surprised bear::

why???????????

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Why? It's a dark children's story - what's not to love?

I thought it was well written and interesting.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

I see. I am afraid I didn't find it well written - I mean, everything mentioned there, any category used, any idea developed or action taken (door; the other mother; kid saving her parents; abandoned theater; souls kept captive, etc etc etc) has been used before, by other writers, and most of those other books were endlessly better written than that one. (The only thing I can say about Coraline herself, besides the fact that every time I saw that name I wanted to bearmaul the writer, is that soon she won't fit through any door, given her food preferences. The rest is a generic "good girl", a little adapted for modern tastes.) The text itself reads as a transcript of a movie, not as a book where text should have any value besides its descriptive ability; thus, on the bright side, I can say it should make a watchable movie (which it seems it did).

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't say. I thought it was a fun read, but yeah, I definitely wouldn't put it on the list of great pieces of fiction.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Coraline, and I think I would have liked it alot more at 8 years old, as is the intended audience.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished a reread of Gerald's Game and am now reading We're All in this Together by Owen King.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lady_Macbeth is on a distinguished road Lady_Macbeth's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

As for me I'm currently reading Time and Again by Jack Finney, because I have to write a paper on it for history class, though I'm finding the book very enjoyable! (Reading a sci-fi book as a school requirement is a dream come true for me!)

I'm also reading Dianetics: Modern Science of Mental Health by L. Ron Hubbard, which has been absolutely mind blowing! It will change your life, I promise you that!

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Macbeth View Post

I'm also reading Dianetics: Modern Science of Mental Health by L. Ron Hubbard, which has been absolutely mind blowing! It will change your life, I promise you that!
    Oh my, I hope that last part is sarcasm.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lady_Macbeth is on a distinguished road Lady_Macbeth's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh my, I hope that last part is sarcasm.
    Don't knock it till' you've tried it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 214 of 714 FirstFirst ... 114 164 204 212 213 214 215 216 224 264 314 ... LastLast