Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 207 of 714 FirstFirst ... 107 157 197 205 206 207 208 209 217 257 307 707 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just started the Dresden Files. Very cool!
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    i'm with daggers, it's an ocd thing. if i start with one type of an author's books all the author's books have to be that type. that's why i get so when they change types midstream. all my simon r. green nightside books are paperback - they released the most recent one in hardcover. which of course, means i have to wait for it to be released in pb before i can buy it. same with my dresden files books.

don't they understand ocd?

Oh, and don't you just HATE it when somewhere in the middle they switch from mass market paperback to trade? It makes me want to SCREAM!

I'm not OCD about too many things, but I am über OCD about my books.

And, back on topic, I just finished my reread of Four Past Midnight and am now going to reread Coraline by Neil Gaiman so I can have it fresh in my mind before I go see the movie.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by William50 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Why the hardcover hate? I can't read paperbacks, unless I absolutely have to. As for Harry Potter, I enjoyed the series up to book four, where I've stopped. For some reason I haven't picked it back up yet, though I do have all the books.
    I loveee hardcovers. For some reason paperbacks just bother me.My collection is almost entirely hardcovers.
    The problem is they make books with this crap binding these days, which means they come apart after only a few years.

I could understand charging twenty-seven or twenty-eight bucks for a hardbacked book if it was made with the same diligence and of the same quality of books from the past, but the way they markup these cheaply made books and then market them as "new" is outrageous.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Agreed, Ruthful.

Anyway, I'll give you one guess as to what I'm reading right now...
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Atlas Shrugged?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

How To Get Rid Of Migraine Headaches If You're A Naked Golden Statue?

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    How To Get Rid Of Migraine Headaches If You're A Naked Golden Statue?

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

AARRRGGGH, PHOTOBUCKET!

I'll see your pictures yet.

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammet

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

V for Vendetta! I'm so happy I finally get to read it! Best birthday present this year.

But I totally understand now why some people got pissed off about the movie... they are nothing alike. If I had read this first, I don't think I would have liked it... but I didn't, and I still love the movie.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I'm glad you see why I have issues with the movie. It's not that I didn't like it, because I did, it's just that had the Wachowski's stuck to the novel, they could have made a much better movie. A true-to-the book adaptation could have been one of the better films made in a long time. Glad you liked the book though.

So let me ask you this since I know you really liked Evey in the film. How did you like her character in the book? I preferred "book Evey" to "film Evey". I thought she was much more developed as a character.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to spoiler this, just in case.
    Spoiler:
    It's harder to relate to her because she's pretty young, but on her own. I like it better that she loved Gordon and not V, but obviously that wouldn't work in the movie. The prostitution worked better than the "I'm going to sleep with my boss for seemingly no reason whatsoever" angle. I'm really wondering why they did parts of the movie the way they did, the more I think about it.

I've wondered the same thing myself. They altered more than they needed to.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

R of G, have you started The Time Traveller's Wife yet? I came to this thread pretty much to see if you had haha
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

On Writing - SK
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Frangit View Post
    R of G, have you started The Time Traveller's Wife yet? I came to this thread pretty much to see if you had haha
    I have it in my possession but have not started it yet. I should be done with Babylon's Burning in the next few days and it's up next for me. And feel free to call me Jayson. It's got to be easier than typing R of G.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, I was going to say "I noticed your name is Jayson, can I call you that?" but thought it might be creepy. And get a move on with that! What happened to starting this weekend? Tsk, tsk.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

That'd probably be the most polite 'creepiness' I've encountered (which is to say not at all creepy).

This turned out to be a much busier weekend than I anticipated but I will start the book ASAP lest I disappoint you further.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Among other things, am now rereading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It is wonderful, fantastic, even better than I remembered.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John F. Kennedy mhelgers is on a distinguished road mhelgers's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm reading The Plant from S.K om pdf

Traveler college_ewok is on a distinguished road college_ewok's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Among other things, am now rereading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It is wonderful, fantastic, even better than I remembered.
    I also LOVE this book too! Right now I'm reading The Drawing of the Three, again.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I've wondered the same thing myself. They altered more than they needed to.
    They really did. Some of it was for flow (getting rid of Almond, etc.) but a lot of it seems a little weird. I guess for emphasis on what life would be like in a shitty country.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just finished listening to Stardust on audio. I absolutely loved this one. So far it's my favorite out of the ones I've read. But I know I've still got some catching up to do.

Just an interesting little thing, at the end of the story they did an interview with Neil, and at one point he was talking about how he loves audiobooks, and authors narrating their own stories, and how he especially likes listening to them on long car rides. Well one time he was traveling from Florida to I can't remember where at the moment, but he picked up a bunch of Stephen King unabridged audiobooks to listen to on his drive, one of them being Bag of Bones.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished a reread of Coraline and am now reading Bodies of Subversion: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo by Margot Mifflin.

Gunslinger Apprentice ClicheGuevara is on a distinguished road ClicheGuevara's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

At the moment I'm reading Grapes of Wrath again, I have a soft spot for Steinbeck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 207 of 714 FirstFirst ... 107 157 197 205 206 207 208 209 217 257 307 707 ... LastLast