Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 206 of 714 FirstFirst ... 106 156 196 204 205 206 207 208 216 256 306 706 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

OMG!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'm a total newcomer to this thread but this year for some reason I decided to keep a journal of the books I read. On January 1 I began to read The Count of Monte Cristo, the new translation. Great stuff!
    Pablo, there's also this thread where you can keep a running list of your reading for the year:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...2009+Book+List

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I think Dags, Jayson, and Brice have been drinking too much -

Quoted for truth!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

AND FTMFW!

Just turned in my first paper on McCarthy, "Lester Ballard: Kafka's Ape Man, and Nietzsche's Suspended Bridge."

Must say that I'm enjoying him more and more. I'm actually stoked that we still have six novels to read.

Currently Reading: Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My books got here!

Traveler college_ewok is on a distinguished road college_ewok's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Tales of Beedle the Bard. It is a short story from Harry Potter but it sucks compared to the books.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've never really gotten into the Harry Potter series. Oh well.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still waiting for book 7 to come out in paperback.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't wait!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I've waited this long, it won't hurt to wait until July.

Besides, I have a bazillion other books I want to read too.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The book industry has decided not to release a paperback of ANY more books until YOU buy a hardcover.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That will be a long freaking wait. Only about 10% of my books are in hardcover.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm only about 20 pages into Sirens of Titan, but I can already tell I'm going to love it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why the hardcover hate? I can't read paperbacks, unless I absolutely have to. As for Harry Potter, I enjoyed the series up to book four, where I've stopped. For some reason I haven't picked it back up yet, though I do have all the books.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't hate hardcovers, they just take up too much room and I prefer the portability of paperbacks.

Plus, I'm one of those OCD people who needs all her books to match. If I start buying a series in paperback (or an author, for that matter) they ALL have to be paperback.

My shelves must be neat.

Lay off the haterade today Dags.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I don't hate hardcovers, they just take up too much room and I prefer the portability of paperbacks.

Plus, I'm one of those OCD people who needs all her books to match. If I start buying a series in paperback (or an author, for that matter) they ALL have to be paperback.

My shelves must be neat.
    This bugs me as well...
    My first 4 HP books are paperback and the last 3 are hardcover.
    My shelves look so uneven but I couldn't wait!
    Apparently it doesn't bother me badly enough.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Lay off the haterade today Dags.
    Apparently you MISSED the part about me NOT hating hardcovers.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I'm only about 20 pages into Sirens of Titan, but I can already tell I'm going to love it.
    Glad to hear it Feev. It paves the way for a lot more enjoyment of Vonnegut in your future.

As for the hardcover vs. paperback debate... I prefer hardcover but when I buy books it's typically paperback due to pecuniary concerns. Of course much of my reading is done via the library and they get hardcovers.

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

My preference goes:

Mass-Market Paperback > Trade Paperback > Hardcover

There are some trade paperbacks that I like more than the mass-markets, but I usually prefer little books I can take anywhere in my bag.
    Hardcovers are just too bulky, heavy, and uncomfortable for me.
    Not to mention expensive.

I buy hardcovers only if they're in the bargain section of the bookstore.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Hugo Chavez and the War Against America: The Threat Closer To Home, by Douglas E. Schoen and Michael Rowen

Martial's Epigrams: A Selection, translated by Gary Wills

There Is No Alternative: Why Margaret Thatcher Matters, by Claire Berlinski

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Why the hardcover hate? I can't read paperbacks, unless I absolutely have to. As for Harry Potter, I enjoyed the series up to book four, where I've stopped. For some reason I haven't picked it back up yet, though I do have all the books.
    I loveee hardcovers. For some reason paperbacks just bother me.My collection is almost entirely hardcovers.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i'm with daggers, it's an ocd thing. if i start with one type of an author's books all the author's books have to be that type. that's why i get so when they change types midstream. all my simon r. green nightside books are paperback - they released the most recent one in hardcover. which of course, means i have to wait for it to be released in pb before i can buy it. same with my dresden files books.

don't they understand ocd?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 206 of 714 FirstFirst ... 106 156 196 204 205 206 207 208 216 256 306 706 ... LastLast