Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 714 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 510 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Gunslinger Apprentice sai delgado is on a distinguished road sai delgado's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by towerguard View Post
    I just picked up the first book in Pullman's His Dark Materials series. I'm falling in love with the story, haven't been able to set it down.
    i haven't read that in ages a couple of years ago i must have read the series 3 times over. They're really great, but some of it is a bit too scientific for me to get my head around
    'He bowed low, right down to the ground, in front of the man sitting there motionless, whose smile reminded him of everything that he had ever loved in his life, of everything that had ever been of value and holy in his life.' Herman Hesse

Gunslinger Apprentice sai delgado is on a distinguished road sai delgado's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

at the moment i'm re reading harry potter and the order of the phoenix-i thought i better re read books 5 and 6 in the series before the 7th comes out, or i will be confused.
    also, a storm of swords by george r r martin, a classic series so far and i cant wait for the release of dances with dragons
    'He bowed low, right down to the ground, in front of the man sitting there motionless, whose smile reminded him of everything that he had ever loved in his life, of everything that had ever been of value and holy in his life.' Herman Hesse

Gunslinger Apprentice towerguard is on a distinguished road towerguard's Avatar

I still refuse to read Harry Potter even though I'd probably like it...

I'm being stubborn.
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't read them until GoF came out, I was being stubborn too Not wanting to give into the hype, y'know. Then a book club I was in was offering the first four books for something ridiculous like £2 so I caved.

You should consider caving...you probably would like them

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not yet. I'm on a Vonnegut rush, so whatever the library has when I return books I pick up.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Wait a little longer and you will be able to read the thing start to finish.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm being stubborn.
    We're on the same boat.

Back in HS, I used to feel very high and mighty about the fact that I actually read. I still do. When HP came out, people who have never read half a book in their life were reading, adults even. So, I quickly denounced these books that I have never read as pure idiotic trash, that only a fool would read. If I'm feeling less than upfront, I'll still rant about them if someone mentions them, but usually now I don't. I'm just stubborn, and HP attacked my pride when it got morons, rednecks, and gym teachers reading. Because reading was MY thing, not theirs, they're idiots who hate to read, and I should have been allowed to live with that assumption...damn you Harry Potter.
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I didn't read them for a long time either, but I picked one up while at work one day and I was hooked.

I figure anything that gets more people reading, despite who they are, is a good thing.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Back in HS, I used to feel very high and mighty about the fact that I actually read. I still do. When HP came out, people who have never read half a book in their life were reading, adults even. So, I quickly denounced these books that I have never read as pure idiotic trash, that only a fool would read. If I'm feeling less than upfront, I'll still rant about them if someone mentions them, but usually now I don't. I'm just stubborn, and HP attacked my pride when it got morons, rednecks, and gym teachers reading. Because reading was MY thing, not theirs, they're idiots who hate to read, and I should have been allowed to live with that assumption...damn you Harry Potter.
    And here I thought I was the only one. That's exactly why I didn't read any of them until I think book 4 came out. Seriously, get off the intellectual high horse and join the rest of us in some good literary fun.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw how much my girls loved them and had to have a look. As far as I am concerned, bring the non readers to the force however we can.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

i started reading the harry potter books when i was 11, and as they were originally set to be childrens books so naturally i loved them. Now as I have gotten older, i've read books 1-3 so many times I don't read them anymore, and its always books 4 onwards. ronnie, i hate to compare you to my mum but she was just as stubborn as you but I forced her to give the books a chance by reading them to her myself which, incidentally, i began to regret as she wouldnt let me stop reading and take a break until the whole series was finished. i say anyone who thinks the books are a load of crap are just missing out...

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    And here I thought I was the only one. That's exactly why I didn't read any of them until I think book 4 came out. Seriously, get off the intellectual high horse and join the rest of us in some good literary fun.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo

*gallops away*

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/B...142287,00.html

It serves as a great counterpart to Ron Chernow's hagiography of Alexander Hamilton, Burr's arch-nemesis, for those of you who read that one.

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo

*gallops away*

If you do, you have to commit to atleast the third book. If given the chance, I would bet she would rewrite the first book somewhat. Because the rest of the books have so much more meat to them. Personally the second book didn't trip my trigger that much is why I say the third book, but you might like it. Could just be me. But by the 3rd book, you should be very good and hooked. And the fourth book you are slamed dunked.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Currently reading: CHOKE by Chuck P.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm now reading Timequake.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Im reading Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tvmorbid View Post
    Im reading Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

My favorite thing in all of Discworld are the Nac Mac Feegle. I want to get some sort of new pet so that I can name it No'-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-than-Wee-Jock Jock.

They can tak' oour lives but they cannae tak' oour troousers!

Crivens! I kicked meself in ma ain heid!
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Aye I know what ye mean Chris, possibly the funniest characters Mr Pratchett has ever created

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

i always take shit for saying this, but i think that l. ron hubbard is a brilliant science fiction novelist. i loved battlefield earth, and i'm currently reading the first book in the mission earth dekalogy: the invaders plan.

(i got the first three in hardback at one of my local thrift stores for 50¢ each)

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

I'm being stubborn.
    We're on the same boat.
    This boat's getting bigger. I've never read them either, and for shame, I have an 8 year-old. I have no clue why I haven't read them, I actually have the first two. They just sit there on the bookshelf, looking pretty.

Drew and I are enjoying the Bartimaeus trilogy. It's similar to Harry Potter, but the jinn in it is hilarious.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

i LOVED the bartimaeus trilogy.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    i always take shit for saying this, but i think that l. ron hubbard is a brilliant science fiction novelist. i loved battlefield earth, and i'm currently reading the first book in the mission earth dekalogy: the invaders plan.

(i got the first three in hardback at one of my local thrift stores for 50¢ each)
    As long as you don't convert to the religion he created, I don't see any problem with enjoying his other fiction.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read where critics bashed the books for riding on the shirttails of the HP success, but I really like the dry humor in them. I'm actually reading the second one aloud to Drew. It takes longer to get through the books that way, but it's fun.
    Sometimes I cheat though, and if Drew falls asleep while I am reading, I keep on reading silently! LOL
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 714 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 510 ... LastLast