Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 342 of 714 FirstFirst ... 242 292 332 340 341 342 343 344 352 392 442 ... LastLast
Results 8,526 to 8,550 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Mo, Tales Of Dunk And Egg is a series of novellas written by GRRM, based in the ASOIAF universe, 100 years ago. You remember Maester Aemon mentioning his brother Aegon? Well that's the egg they're talking about. The series is about a Hedge Knight who ends up with a tagalong squire who ends up being a prince, and their adventures. Knowing that you're about done with the ASOIAF series, I thought I'd help you extend your stay in Westeros. You'll catch alot of references to the series in there too.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice boq is on a distinguished road boq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I started reading the entire Harry Potter series (and watching each movie after reading each book) at the insistence of a good friend a few months ago... all in preparation for The Deathly Hallows movie.
    I found the first two books quite hard going... perhaps because I'm in my 40's and they're aimed at a more juvenile market. I persisted however and soon found myself wrapped up in that magical world of spells, wands, broomsticks, potions and of course that eternal battle between good and evil.
    It's hard to believe I could become as attached to a group of fictional characters as I did with Harry and co. I thought only The Dark Tower had the power to do this to me... and maybe The Lord of the Rings.
    It became so absorbing that I've been kinda absent from here for a while . I've not become so obsessed as to have joined any Potter sites though. Only you guys can do that to me
    As a whole though I'd recommend Rowling's series; if you've got the time to commit to such a long tale, and the patience to make it through the first couple of 'young' books.
    Good to be back here though. What's happening with "The Wind Through the Keyhole"?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Boq, I'm at least 20 years older than you, but I really enjoy the entire Harry Potter series. I didn't have too much trouble getting into the first two or three books (maybe because I volunteer as a tutor for first grade reading at one of our urban schools) but I've continued to read and reread the books. The writing of the books isn't the best, but the story...

John

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

San Francisco De California, Cusco, Peru, Peru
    My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Mo, Tales Of Dunk And Egg is a series of novellas written by GRRM, based in the ASOIAF universe, 100 years ago. You remember Maester Aemon mentioning his brother Aegon? Well that's the egg they're talking about. The series is about a Hedge Knight who ends up with a tagalong squire who ends up being a prince, and their adventures. Knowing that you're about done with the ASOIAF series, I thought I'd help you extend your stay in Westeros. You'll catch alot of references to the series in there too.
    Thanks! I'll for sure check that out. I'm interested

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Sure Whatever View Post
    I've been sprinkling in some Phillip K. Dick short stories when I'm not on the bike reading ASoIaF. Very interesting and thought provoking
    So...you are a big fan of dick?

Spoiler:

He was a brilliant writer. I haven't found a story by him I didn't like.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

San Francisco De California, Cusco, Peru, Peru
    My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes and yes

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    re-reading TALISMAN
    Me too.

I just finished TDT, yeah I know I'm about a MILLION years behind, about two months ago. I also have been listening to it on audio and am currently up to SOS as I only listen in my car so it is taking a lot longer than reading did.

I have to break out of this DT (Roland) obsession I am in. I want to re-read right away but, I decided to try the Talisman and Black House again instead. It's been about twenty years so it's a whole new experience.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone else heard of the Ravenloft series? I used to love it as a teen! I don't think it did well because it didn't tend to have happy endings, but it took place in the village of Ravenloft where the sun never shined, and there was a lot of gloom and doom. I miss it and want to revisit it.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

LOTR reread, The Fellowship of the Ring right now.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post
    Has anyone else heard of the Ravenloft series? I used to love it as a teen! I don't think it did well because it didn't tend to have happy endings, but it took place in the village of Ravenloft where the sun never shined, and there was a lot of gloom and doom. I miss it and want to revisit it.
    That's so weird. I've been thinking about Ravenloft recently, as well.

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe it's a sign.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I love the Ravenloft books. I still have a bunch of them somewhere. The D&D stuff they were based on was pretty awesome too.
    There wasn't a village called Ravenloft, though, as far as I remember. Ravenloft was the whole world that pulled people from other worlds into it(also known as the Demiplane of Dread). There was a Castle Ravenloft, where Strahd ruled from, which may be what you remember. Only a few stories were set there, though, mostly the Strahd ones. The book called Vampire of the Mists, which was about the vampire Strahd von Zarovich, was set in an area of that world called Barovia, which is where Castle Ravenloft is located.
    [ /end D&D uber-nerdism ]

My favorite of the Ravenloft books is probably Knight of the Black Rose, because I already loved Lord Soth from the Dragonlance books.

Some of the books were interesting re-imagining of classic stories, like Mordenheim, which was a Frakenstein-like story and The Enemy Within, which was a Jekyll and Hyde type story.
    I was always very fond of the Vistani in Ravenloft.

Here is a list of all of them if anyone wanted to look for them. Some of them aren't numbered in the list because they were short story collections and such.

1. Vampire of the Mists (1991) by Christie Golden
    2. Knight of the Black Rose (1991) by James Lowder
    3. Dance of the Dead (1992) by Christie Golden
    4. Heart of Midnight (1992) by J Robert King
    5. Tapestry of Dark Souls (1993) by Elaine Bergstrom
    6. Carnival of Fear (1993) by J Robert King
    Castles Forlorn (1993) by Lisa Smedman
    7. The Enemy Within (1994) by Christie Golden
    9. Mordenheim (1994) by Chet Williamson
    Adam's Wrath (1994) by Lisa Smedman
    When Black Roses Blooms (1994) by Lisa Smedman
    Awakening (1994) by Lisa Smedman
    9. Tower of Doom (1994) by Mark Anthony
    10. Baroness of Blood (1995) by Elaine Bergstrom
    11. Death of a Darklord (1995) by Laurell K Hamilton
    Chilling Tales (1995) by Lisa Smedman
    12. Scholar of Decay (1995) by Tanya Huff
    13. King of the Dead (1996) by Gene DeWeese
    Death Ascendant (1996) by Lisa Smedman
    Death Unchained (1996) by Lisa Smedman
    14. To Sleep with Evil (1996) by Andria Cardarelle
    Tales of Ravenloft (1997) by Brian M Thomsen
    15. Lord of the Necropolis (1997) by Gene DeWeese
    16. Shadowborn (1998 ) by Carrie A Bebris and William W Connors
    Vecna Reborn (1998 ) by Monte Cook
    17. Spectre of the Black Rose (1999) by James Lowder and Voronica Whitney-Robinson
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm guessing you are right on this Chris because I haven't even seen a Ravenloft book in over 7 years, sad face. I vaguely remember the vampire, I definitely remember the Tapestry of Dark Souls. I really want to get all of these books! Thank you for your help.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Starting Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle soon. It's only my second V book , having completed Sirens of Titan earlier last year, which I loved.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post
    I'm guessing you are right on this Chris because I haven't even seen a Ravenloft book in over 7 years, sad face. I vaguely remember the vampire, I definitely remember the Tapestry of Dark Souls. I really want to get all of these books! Thank you for your help.
    You're welcome.

I still break out the books I do have from time to time and try to get frieds to read them, but it is kind of hard to get average readers to take anything with Dungeons & Dragons plastered across the top seriously.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The whole premise of the series was what drew me in. It's been so long since I've read them, but I think about them more than many of the other books I've read. Too bad they are so hard to find.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I finished Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin last night. I absolutely adored this book and was glued to it the entire time. It felt like a perfect mix between Stephen King and Mark Twain.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I finished Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin last night. I absolutely adored this book and was glued to it the entire time. It felt like a perfect mix between Stephen King and Mark Twain.
    Oh fuck yes

Isn't it an amazing novel ? I especially loved the ending.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here, I think it ended perfectly, especially what Abner whispered to Joshua while he was holding out the bottle of drink while Joshua was staring at his wrist.

I really loved Abner as a character.

My Mood
    Breezy

Yes, he rocks. I like the part where Joshua and Julian square off for the last.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Totally cool. The whole book was a great take on vampires. I can't wait to read the rest of GRRM's stuff. I think I'm going to try Dying of the Light soon.

As for right now, I started On The Beach by Nevil Shute. I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic fiction and this is considered one of the "classics" from that genre that I've never read before.

My Mood
    Breezy

I like a bunch of his short stories too. Dreamsongs II has one called The Skin Trade, and it's very good.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I need a new book to start after I finish FDNS and after hearing 103948 good things about it on here, I'm considering Fevre Dream. It's either that or Swan Song. Any thoughts one way or the other?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I need a new book to start after I finish FDNS and after hearing 103948 good things about it on here, I'm considering Fevre Dream. It's either that or Swan Song. Any thoughts one way or the other?
    Can't vouch for Swan Song as I haven't read it, BUT - Fevre Dream is one of my all time favorite books. It's an illustrious tale of the devastation of realization that you might never reach your goals/dreams, the power of friendship, the need of kinship, all stringed together by the mysticism of vampire lore. It's a bit bleak in certain aspects, but the the narratives power propels it along. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 342 of 714 FirstFirst ... 242 292 332 340 341 342 343 344 352 392 442 ... LastLast