Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 271 of 714 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 269 270 271 272 273 281 321 371 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,775 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Sunset Alex is on a distinguished road Alex's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dracula By Bram Stoker
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat" -Theodore Roosevelt

Traveler jack12k6 is on a distinguished road

The Handmaid's Tale by Margret Atwood....book won the first Aurthur Clark award in '87.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jack12k6 View Post
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margret Atwood....book won the first Aurthur Clark award in '87.
    I want to read that sometime. I loved her book, ORYX AND CRAKE.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

John F. Kennedy sofaki is on a distinguished road sofaki's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am reading Hearts in Atlantis right now, I recently finished The Dark Tower Series and I can say I am hooked!!

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

glad you liked it, you'll love HIA, The title story, as well as Low Men In Yellow Coats, were my two favorites.

I'm currently rereading A Song of Ice and Fire for the 3rd time. I'm taking it slow this time, if I'm lucky I'll finish the last one around the time they publish a Dance With Dragons.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Choke (by Palahniuk, of course)

::triple meh::
    You don't like it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Apparently Jean isn't into it, Heather. Oh well, we'll miss him in the Chuck P. thread.
    I hope to post there sooner or later, only I am afraid what I can say will sound very much like what Hannah already said there.

I can't say I don't like it, or I can't say I like it; I don't find anything to like or dislike. It's the same sarcastic cud all over again, the same intellectual blah blah blah which makes one wonder how he can separate it into what he for some reason calls "novels". (more later, in the appropriate thread)
    Huhn. Well, personally, I can say that I didn't like Choke, although I do think that "meh" really would say it better in my case, as well. However, I love Fight Club, so I don't think i'm really getting this mini-analysis of yours, Jean. I'll have to pop by that thread, too, if I get time, by & by.

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Unchained America - Dave Gorman

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Just cracked Under the Dome

*rubs hands together with maniacal laugh*
    Sloth Love Chunk

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Gunslinger Apprentice <ô> bango skank <ô> is on a distinguished road <ô> bango skank <ô>'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i'm trying to finish Eldest (christopher paolini, eregon thingy) but under the dome is sitting on my shelf, looking down at me. If i start a a book, good or bad, i'll finish it. Eldest isn't all that bad but i think this time i'll quit and start UTD. mabey go back to it later.
    "God pisses down your neck everyday, but only drowns you once.*

"When the shooting starts, we kill what moves. " - Roland Deschain

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I will definitely track down the related suggestions you posted earlier, pathoftheturtle! This is just what was waiting for me on the 25 cent shelf at the library.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post

re-read that one earlier this year
    alan watts is always good stuff

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished the Road and I'm about to start reading 20th Century Ghosts. I enjoyed Heart-Shaped Box, but it wasn't as brilliant as everyone made it out to be, so I'm hopeful that this collection will dazzle me.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved HSB, but 20th CG is by far superior, IMO. It is one of the best short story collections I've EVER read...and I read alot of them.

I'm currently reading Bentley Little's The Policy. His books are SO fuckin' twisted.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I loved HSB, but 20th CG is by far superior, IMO. It is one of the best short story collections I've EVER read...and I read alot of them.
    What Brice said.

Finished THE EYES OF THE DRAGON.

Now about half way through UNDER THE DOME.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    Just finished the Road and I'm about to start reading 20th Century Ghosts. I enjoyed Heart-Shaped Box, but it wasn't as brilliant as everyone made it out to be<...>
    No, it wasn't.

Hear, hear.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post

I will definitely track down the related suggestions you posted earlier, pathoftheturtle! This is just what was waiting for me on the 25 cent shelf at the library.
    Lucky you. That's a great one. I always recommend "The Book" first for those who want to start reading his work.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I always recommend "The Book" first for those who want to start reading his work.
    it is an excellent place to begin with watts.

i also have a fairly good selection of his speeches on audio and often start people with those. i find his voice hypnotizing in and of itself, and then there's what he's actually saying. i've gotten several people hooked on watts that way. once they've heard him speak, they devour his books.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Legacies by F. Paul Wilson and am now reading The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice! I have the zombie survival guide cards.

If you rescue me

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

There are cards?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, there are and they are awesome. Better still I got mine used for $5.

If you rescue me

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Yes, there are and they are awesome. Better still I got mine used for $5.
    There wasn't any blood or guts or brains on them, were there? I mean, "used" and all.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Not much!

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 271 of 714 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 269 270 271 272 273 281 321 371 ... LastLast