Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 405 of 713 FirstFirst ... 305 355 395 403 404 405 406 407 415 455 505 ... LastLast
Results 10,101 to 10,125 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Erin, I just finished THE HUNGER GAMES, and went straight into reading CATCHING FIRE.

Also, the DRAGON TATTOO trilogy is everything that Feev says it is. Highly recommended.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finished Legion a couple days ago. I wasn't overly thrilled with it. It was a bit convoluted at times. I was entertained though, so I consider it a good read. I think I'm either going to start The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (want to see the movie before it's out of the theater!) or The Ridge.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting concepts... Written in a very assertive tone
    "If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you will never change the outcome" -Michael Jordan

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

About to start Pirate Latitudes by Chrichton. I've heard mixed review, but I like most other Chrichton novels I've read.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recently started The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's supposedly sortof like The Stand with post-apocalyptic adventure. I'm liking it so far!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

That book was awesome. The sequel is supposed to come out this year.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Working my way through The Count of Monte Cristo. It's a little hard because he keeps going on tangents (I don't need ten pages to tell me the characters can't get a carriage for the weekend!) but it's worth it. It's also nothing like the movie! Not sure I'll be able to watch the movie anymore knowing it's so different.

I also started reading Twilight because my best friend told me I couldn't make fun of it if I hadn't read it, and dear God is that the worst book I have ever read. I seriously had to stop because Bella's drooling descriptions of Edward's physique were literally making me nauseous. The first third or so of the book had me laughing out loud at the ridiculousness though, so that part was at least entertaining.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I struggled with Count of Monte Cristo as well. It does get better, but it is still copiously descriptive. I think it is because Dumas was payed by the page to write the book in installments. So, of course he drug it out as long as possible.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ugh, that would explain it. This part where Albert is being seduced by the chick at Carnival is at least twice as long as it needs to be. This book is so long I'm starting to forget what all's happened so far. But I must persevere!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read it in French and loved every word. I only wished it was longer, slower, and more detailed.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, but bears abhor action.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

right...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    Working my way through The Count of Monte Cristo. It's a little hard because he keeps going on tangents (I don't need ten pages to tell me the characters can't get a carriage for the weekend!) but it's worth it. It's also nothing like the movie! Not sure I'll be able to watch the movie anymore knowing it's so different.
    I hope you're reading the new Robin Buss translation and not any of the old public domain ones.

Country
    Country Flag

Uh, I'm reading whatever my boyfriend put on my Kindle? It is probably public domain. It finally got to an interesting part so I'm okay now, at least until the next ridiculously long description starts.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There is a Kindle edition of the Buss translation: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RI9KL8/ I highly recommend you go with that. Much better read.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started The Winter of Our Discontent.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Rereading the Dark Tower series. Then when I get my Kindle fire i plan on getting Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs Gideons Corpse.

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    the only Steinbeck I've ever enjoyed (at least to an extent)

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Only my second book of his, I like it so far. And, I really liked Of Mice and Men.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

So The Count of Monte Cristo is amazing. The first third or so was hard, but once the action started I have been unable to put it down. Only 10% more to go!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Yeah, I'm torn on John Steinbeck. I really enjoyed Of Mice and Men, but Grapes of Wrath just annoyed me by the time I finished it.
    So, I've never been real sure if I should read more of his works.

I've said before that I'm trying to expose myself to more classic lit because I never was required to read much of it in school like most people. I feel like I have to wade through a lot of crap to find a true gem. Most recently, Ray Bradbury's Farenheit 451. I started it on Friday and finished on Saturday. This book blew me away. It was utterly beautiful. And it's so eerie how it was written so long ago, yet reflects our society today. I feel so lucky that I had a strong desire to read this book when I did. I have to put it on my list of top 10 books I ever read. Loved it!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Yeah, I'm torn on John Steinbeck. I really enjoyed Of Mice and Men, but Grapes of Wrath just annoyed me by the time I finished it.
    So, I've never been real sure if I should read more of his works.

I've said before that I'm trying to expose myself to more classic lit because I never was required to read much of it in school like most people. I feel like I have to wade through a lot of crap to find a true gem. Most recently, Ray Bradbury's Farenheit 451. I started it on Friday and finished on Saturday. This book blew me away. It was utterly beautiful. And it's so eerie how it was written so long ago, yet reflects our society today. I feel so lucky that I had a strong desire to read this book when I did. I have to put it on my list of top 10 books I ever read. Loved it!

FWIW, back in HS I read predominantly off the NYT best sellers list. Then I had a teacher who told me, quite sensibly in retrospect, that they were considered "classics" for a good reason. I proceeded to tear through them like a mouse eating cheese and for the most part was extremely pleased. The Literary folks do get it right once in awhile and when they agree, go for it. You'll be amazed and enlightened!!! Reading is fundamental!!!

Edit: For instance, The original "Dracula" by Bram Stoker is a truly creepy book. Also written in a novel style as a sort of "diary". You'll be creeped out for sure!! I was!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I am now reading Full Dark No Stars. FINALLY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 405 of 713 FirstFirst ... 305 355 395 403 404 405 406 407 415 455 505 ... LastLast