Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 452 of 714 FirstFirst ... 352 402 442 450 451 452 453 454 462 502 552 ... LastLast
Results 11,276 to 11,300 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    When did you read Farenheit?
    I don't know if you're referring to me or Jean, but I read it about 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    [Orson Scott Card's Ender series.
    Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick(most anything by him, really)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    1984 by George Orwell
    Frank Herbert's Dune series (not an Earth sort of situation, but certainly a lot of religious and political commentary and what excesses of either can lead to throughout)
    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
    Brave New World was awful, but 1984 is one of my favorites. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was a good one, though it was definitely more "hard" sci-fi than the sci-fi I usually like/read.
    Time seems to be proving Huxley right, though.

I'm pretty sure this has been posted somewhere on here before, but it is still pretty interesting.
    Infographic behind the spoiler because it is big:

Spoiler:

There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Orson Scott Card's Ender series.
    Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick(most anything by him, really)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    1984 by George Orwell
    Frank Herbert's Dune series (not an Earth sort of situation, but certainly a lot of religious and political commentary and what excesses of either can lead to throughout)
    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
    I've read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". Really liked that one. A nice quick read, too.

Top of the list though has gotta be Dune, I've heard a lot of good things about that. The reasons you've given certainly help, too.
    I really can't recommend Dune and the first few sequels enough.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the ideas and concepts in Brave New World, but it felt like Huxley was using those ideas and plot to further get across his own political opinions/viewpoints. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I usually prefer story to take presidence.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

I actually keep a speadsheet of all the stories, including my personal rating (1 to 4 stars) and a brief plot synopsis so I can keep track of what I've read over the years!
    Although thats a great idea I dont think I will get quite that detailed. But I think I may start keeping track of which anthology Ive read. Been a few times now that Ive purchased one I already had and already read, and found some on my shelf Ive never read and thought I had.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Fernando would be happy to know I'm 280 pages into Desperation since I started the book last night. At the part where
    Spoiler:
    Entragian takes Ellie into the mine
    I'll be very curious to read The Regulators when I find a copy of it...won't read it till I find the hardcover though so it could be awhile. I've actually never read a Bachman book before, but I doubt there is too much difference in the styles anyways.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll be very curious to read The Regulators when I find a copy of it...won't read it till I find the hardcover though so it could be awhile. I've actually never read a Bachman book before, but I doubt there is too much difference in the styles anyways.
    Mattrick, I beg you...read any of the other Bachman books first. The Regulators is not only the worst of the Bachman books but may be the worst thing King has ever written. It is nothing like Desperation, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

In my opinion.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know much about the regulators aside from it's like a parallel universe with the same characters or something like that. Sounds intriguing but yeah, Desperation always begged me to read it more (and I heard Desperation should be read first, as aparently The Regulators is more complete that way).

For the first time in a month I have NO IDEA WTF I'M GOING TO READ NEXT!!!! My gut is leaning towards 'Cat's Cradle' by Vonnegut, but I may want to wait to read more Vonnegut. That's the problem with having twenty unread books on your couch.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think The Running Man might be my favorite Bachman book.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know much about the regulators aside from it's like a parallel universe with the same characters or something like that. Sounds intriguing but yeah, Desperation always begged me to read it more (and I heard Desperation should be read first, as aparently The Regulators is more complete that way).

For the first time in a month I have NO IDEA WTF I'M GOING TO READ NEXT!!!! My gut is leaning towards 'Cat's Cradle' by Vonnegut, but I may want to wait to read more Vonnegut. That's the problem with having twenty unread books on your couch.
    Try around 200 books in a TBR pile and you'll see my dilemma.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I have tons of books in on my 'to read list' and I get new books every week, the books at the top of my list get pushed back due to new purchases then those get pushed back, so it gets aggravating at times. Then I've got the books my friend has as well he's telling me to read, then the books my friend coming back from Korea in a few weeks will be recommending me lol

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Mattrick, I beg you...read any of the other Bachman books first. The Regulators is not only the worst of the Bachman books but may be the worst thing King has ever written. It is nothing like Desperation, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

In my opinion.
    Divemaster, I just don't agree. I thoroughly enjoyed The Regulators.

The Bachman style and the King style are very different.

John

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I now have more than 250 books in my to read pile(s).

:thumsup: to The dark Descent and Stories. Great anthologies and I read a LOT of horror anthologies.

Skarlet-Thomas Emson
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In my opinion.
    in bears' too

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

The Long Walk for me
    reality continues to ruin my life

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    The Long Walk for me
    Yes, this!

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished reading "One Who Walked Alone" by Novalyne Price Ellis, who was Robert E. Howard's girlfriend in the 1930s before he died. The book was interesting, if a bit repetitive (he was an interesting man, but it seems like he had a limited range of things he liked to talk about). My wife and I also just watched the movie based on the book, called "The Whole Wide World" starring Vincent D'Onofrio and Renee Zellweger. It was a good adaptation of the book.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Just finished A Clash of Kings... deciding whether I should go straight into the next one or read something else for a break!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

And yes, my copy looks almost exactly like that one.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Larry Niven - A-hole in Space

Wait...
    Spoiler:
    A Hole in Space

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I have too many books going, cant seem to finish any of them:
    1.Nightmares and Dreamscapes - on " The House on Maple Street"
    2.Lovecraft fiction Volume 4 - about halfway through
    3. The Old Testament - on the book of Esther
    4. Metallica - Some Kind of Monster - about halfway
    5. Social Forces: The Great "They" in the Sky - about halfway
    6. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - almost done
    7. On the Origin of Species - about halfway.
    8. We Were Soldiers Once, and Young. - just started.
    9. The God Delusion - just started.

I've never had this many books going at once, not really my style. Just received a whole bunch of books in electronic format and cant resist the urge to start others before I finish the one I'm on. Guess I'll be finishing a bunch all at once.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I have too many books going, cant seem to finish any of them:
    1.Nightmares and Dreamscapes - on " The House on Maple Street"
    2.Lovecraft fiction Volume 4 - about halfway through
    3. The Old Testament - on the book of Esther
    4. Metallica - Some Kind of Monster - about halfway
    5. Social Forces: The Great "They" in the Sky - about halfway
    6. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - almost done
    7. On the Origin of Species - about halfway.
    8. We Were Soldiers Once, and Young. - just started.
    9. The God Delusion - just started.

I've never had this many books going at once, not really my style. Just received a whole bunch of books in electronic format and cant resist the urge to start others before I finish the one I'm on. Guess I'll be finishing a bunch all at once.
    Wow, how do you read so many books at once? I'd have a hard tome remembering where I left off if I did that, I think. That would be cool to be able to manage though.

God Delusion is a great book. I learned a lot more from Selfish Gene, but both were excellent.

I'm reading:

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Well two are short story collections (N&D, Lovecraft) one is a collection of non-related essays (Social Forces) The bible is sufficiently divided. Couple are non-fiction. Only real fiction novels I have going are HGTTG (which i am almost done with) and We Were Young which I just started.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That is actually how I normally read. In fact it might explain why I'm reading so little this year. I've been reading one or two at a time. Normally I'd have anywhere from ten to twenty books going at once. When I get stuck on one (or more) I'll just start another and go back to the others. So are you reading the entire bible?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Just finished A Clash of Kings... deciding whether I should go straight into the next one or read something else for a break!
    You must take a break and move onto something else for a while....the books are good but it's quite exhausting.
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    ..Normally I'd have anywhere from ten to twenty books going at once. When I get stuck on one (or more) ..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 452 of 714 FirstFirst ... 352 402 442 450 451 452 453 454 462 502 552 ... LastLast