Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 178 of 714 FirstFirst ... 78 128 168 176 177 178 179 180 188 228 278 678 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Gunslinger Apprentice ladykatherine is on a distinguished road ladykatherine's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Right now I'm being crazy and reading three books (gasp, i know!):

Untamed (House of Night series) --P.C. and Kirsten Cast (yay vampires!)
    Regeneration --Pat Barker (for Postwar Brit Lit...it's pretty good actually)
    Wizard and Glass --Stephen King (HURRY! Before I get a late charge! I really should renew this...hmmm....)

I know two of these are kinda obscure books, but has anyone heard of them?

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just cracked Che Guevara's The Motorcycle Diaries last night.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladykatherine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I think you have to be a bit older, and disillusioned, to appreciate The Great Gatsby. Personally, I love the novel, although I must confess my ignorance at the time, because I thought it was a rip-off of The Sun Also Rises, which-as it turns out-was published the year before.

Even if you dislike it, there's so many interesting things in there, e.g. Meyer Wolfsheim owning The Swastika Holding Company, two years after Hitler was released from prison!
    Though I can't pretend to quite understand the ending to Great Gasby, I really enjoyed it. I dont know if it was because it was full of confusion among the main characters and their emotions/intentions or what. But I definitely liked it enough to want to go back and read it again sometime and try to make sense of it. And I don't neccessarily agree with how old you have to be--I was a junior in high school when I first read it, and though I'm obviously still baffled, doesn't mean I didn't get anything out of it (now a sophmore in college)!!

LadyK
    i liked TGG more than i thought i would. we had to read it in 11th grade english, and i found it quite enjoyable at the time. i remember chapter 7 the most...
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    It seems less like a style of writing, and more like a sad excuse for being unable to actually write anything else.
    very, very well said; I didn't read the book in question, but it applies to about 90 percent 20/21st century literature appreciated by critics (as opposed to readers) that I've read
    Thanks, Jean, but keep in mind that what i said might actually be bullsihit, and it's a good book. i don't think it is though. I just found out otday that we're reading the sequel next. Oh joy.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

so basically, your teacher is trying to kill you?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

indeed. But i have a plan. and a boombox. and a Dark Tower audiobook cd.

Gunslinger Apprentice ladykatherine is on a distinguished road ladykatherine's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

hehehehe. i love the way you think razz.
    LadyK
    "The average pencil is seven inches long, with just a half inch eraser--in case you thought optimism was dead." ♥ --Robert Brault

Traveler iamjacksgoat is on a distinguished road iamjacksgoat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently reading Crime and Punishment. It's an amazing book, but I felt like it should have ended 100 pages ago... And it doesn't help that I'm reading it on a time limit, for school.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

About to wrap up Speaker For The Dead - I'll be following it up with The Man In The High Castle and Neverwhere.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Neverwhere is awesome.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Aw I've heard neverwhere is good!
    I think I'll go look it up.
    ::googles::
    LadyK
    "The average pencil is seven inches long, with just a half inch eraser--in case you thought optimism was dead." ♥ --Robert Brault

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by iamjacksgoat View Post
    I'm currently reading Crime and Punishment. It's an amazing book, but I felt like it should have ended 100 pages ago...
    It's because you're reading it in translation. The original version is so much better, and the question "why the fuck is it so long?" just doesn't arise, the text is too good for that. (let alone that it is much shorter than most other Dostoyevsky )

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

• [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hellbound-Heart-Clive-Barker/dp/0061002828?tag=dogpile-20"]The Hellbound Heart[/ame]
    • [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Goblet-Fire/dp/043955490X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224675118&sr=1-1"]Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire[/ame]
    • [ame="http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Z-History-Zombie/dp/0307346617/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224675155&sr=1-1"]World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War[/ame]
    • [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kill-Mockingbird-Harper-Lee/dp/0060935464/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224675199&sr=1-1"]To Kill a Mockingbird[/ame]
    • [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Clockwork-Orange-Anthony-Burgess/dp/0345026241/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224675239&sr=1-2"]A Clockwork Orange[/ame]

I like to read.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I too am (re)reading A Clockwork Orange, Woofer...along with a couple other Burgess books.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I am ashamed to say I've read no other Burgess novels since grad school. Hey, I was poor! I was in grad school! I worked 3 jobs and was even selling plasma and cashing in aluminum cans. I read library books almost exclusively. I am now starting to buy books again.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey, I hadn't read any other Burgess books till just now. Our local library had a booksale about a month or so ago and I guess noone was checking them out because aside from the normal library markings they look pristine.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Brice - have you read The Wanting Seed by Burgess?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No, not yet. Aside from ACO I've never read anything else by him. I am now about a hundred or so pages into The Pianoplayers and am about to start another. I forget the title though.

If you rescue me

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ladykatherine View Post
    Wizard and Glass --Stephen King (HURRY! Before I get a late charge! I really should renew this...hmmm....)
    Do you have any used bookstores near you? You should just buy it. It's important to have the whole series readily available incase of a sudden Dark Tower fiending at 2am.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    No, not yet. Aside from ACO I've never read anything else by him. I am now about a hundred or so pages into The Pianoplayers and am about to start another. I forget the title though.
    Google TWC when you get a chance, I've read the plot overview and it looks really interesting. I've been wanting to pick that one up for a while now, but I keep forgetting/putting it off whenever I stop by a bookstore

the only thing better than reading neverwhere is listening to the audiobook.
    neil gaiman =

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Last Sunday I finished the motherfucking Blaze.

As I said before, I read the last chapters on subway - hoping that for the sake of decorum I will be able not to bawl aloud. Fat chance.

I was meeting a former student on that day, she came from Moscow for three days and we were going to have coffee together. When I appeared from the subway train with the book in my paw, she asked me in a very anxious tone if I had a cold, flu, something.

"No," I had to confess, wiping big ursine tears with a big checkered handkerchief, "it's this damned book!"

Will finish my Mary Higgins Clark now... what a consolation, really... and then Harper Lee for the club! (I have become so soft over the years, I fully expect to shed big ursine tears over Mockingbird, too... but they'll be different tears, all hope and faith and joy despite all)

okay, i'm definitely going to have to reread blaze i guess.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    (I have become so soft over the years, I fully expect to shed big ursine tears over Mockingbird, too... but they'll be different tears, all hope and faith and joy despite all)
    Soft?
    No, dear bear...those tears are not the signs of softness, but of a heart that embraces the things that truly move him and fill him with emotion often overfilling said heart...thus the leaking of tears.

Soft? The bear we know would never become soft, that's ridiculous.

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 178 of 714 FirstFirst ... 78 128 168 176 177 178 179 180 188 228 278 678 ... LastLast