Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 680 of 714 FirstFirst ... 180 580 630 670 678 679 680 681 682 690 ... LastLast
Results 16,976 to 17,000 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    Currently reading Rosemary's Baby as I finished Different Seasons this morning and forgot how good those novellas are.
    Is it your first read of RB? I absolutely love that book.
    Yes it is. I don't think I would have actively sought it out but getting the beautiful Suntup AGE made me move it to the front of my to read list.
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
    It was an fast, enjoyable read that had me thinking I would have been fine if I hadn't read it until the ending where my appreciation for it went up. I'm now reading The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn and hoping it is as enjoyable to me as Seed and Brother were.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Just finished Gwendy's Magic Feather. A fast and moderately entertaining read. Chizmar was certainly channeling his inner SK political leanings with the President Hamlin/Donald Trump character. Not sure what the point was other than an opportunity to inject an unnecessary rant. I also wasn't enamored with the recycled SK Castle Rock twist taken to resolve the abduction/murder mystery.
    I think he may have been planting seeds for the third installment in the series. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I've finished I am Legend by Richard Matheson (outstanding) and Seed by Ania Ahlborn (very good). Now reading The Bone Tree by Greg Iles, the middle novel of his recent Penn Cage trilogy (itself part of a larger series).

With all this talk about Expanse, that series might need to be my next SF read. Although Gibson's Agency is also waiting in the wings.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished my reread of On Writing, love that book. My first reread ever.
    Started Black Mad Wheel by Josh Malerman today.
    Aremag, let me know if The Shuddering is good. Thanks.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

William Ollie - Killercon. Ollie came onto the small-press scene out of nowhere and disappeared just as fast. No reason, no explanation, one day the new books just stopped coming. I'd like to know why he stopped writing but I'm not going to pry - if he wanted to explain himself, he would've.

Killercon is the last of his books I haven't read and that's that. Bummer.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Believe it or not I am reading FIRE AND BLOOD and THE BIBLE (New World Translation). Both are throwing a whole lot of names at me in the beginning pages. I hope I can keep track of all of them.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Believe it or not I am reading FIRE AND BLOOD and THE BIBLE (New World Translation). Both are throwing a whole lot of names at me in the beginning pages. I hope I can keep track of all of them.
    I almost gave up on A Game Of Thrones because of this; for 50 pages or so, I took notes to keep track, spending almost as much time typing into my phone as reading.

Assuming F&B isn't your first GRRM, perhaps this didn't come as a surprise.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

It's my first Game of Thrones based GRRM, but it's still not a surprise. It's getting easier now.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Chain. Good premise but the story fell flat for me.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I didn't want to give this its own thread but wanted to bring it to people's attention:

Taschen (a publisher known for distinctive, often art-oriented books, including design, film, architecture, the human body (including something called Forever Butt!), you name it) is having a sale (up to 75% off): https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/sale/all.htm
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    I loved The Shuddering....Ania is three for three so far with me. I found it a tense and fast moving creature story with characters I cared about. Not wholly original but I loved it. Now reading Gwendy's Button Box.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved The Shuddering....Ania is three for three so far with me. I found it a tense and fast moving creature story with characters I cared about. Not wholly original but I loved it. Now reading Gwendy's Button Box.
    I enjoyed Button Box. Magic Feather, not so much.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Philip K. Dick - We Can Build You

This seems like it could be a loose prequel to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed Button Box. Magic Feather, not so much.
    Agree sadly
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll definitely be checking out The Shuddering now as well, thanks to the recommendations in here.

I just finished The Sword of Destiny, which is the 2nd collection of short stories in The Witcher Series. I'm loving these books so far, and am now ready to move on to the "core saga" of books

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I read The Shuddering last winter and really enjoyed it.

Can I ask you guys a question about Brother. I started it awhile back and couldn't quite get into it. Does it read like a slasher flick? I love those types of movies, but not sure about book form for some reason. I know it's gotten a lot of love so I'll have to go back and give it another try sometime.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I read The Shuddering last winter and really enjoyed it.

Can I ask you guys a question about Brother. I started it awhile back and couldn't quite get into it. Does it read like a slasher flick? I love those types of movies, but not sure about book form for some reason. I know it's gotten a lot of love so I'll have to go back and give it another try sometime.
    It's a tough book to describe. I wouldn't necessarily call it only a "slasher". It's more of a game of cat and mouse, and it poses questions like "is it possible to change?". It's definitely worth sticking it out to reach the ending, which genuinely surprised me.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Ok, thanks. I'll try to give it another shot.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Tapped out on PKD - We Can Build You. Picked up Brian Hodge - Dark Advent, and Tim Lebbon - Mesmer.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished and enjoyed Gwendy's Button Box and was tempted to start Magic Feather but I really want to reread King's novels in between new ones so started reading 'Salem's Lot.

I think that was named after King's brand of smokes at the time.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Punctuation is my friend.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I’ve just finished Ayoade on Top, written and narrated by Richard Ayoade.

It’s a satirical faux-critique of “View from the Top”, a mediocre 2003 rom-com starring Gwenneth Paltrow and Mark Ruffalo. The joke, of course, is that no one would treat such an unremarkable flick with the seriousness and reverence that Ayoade does. It’s the sort of gag that you might see in an Onion article.

What sets this book apart from the obvious gag, however, is that Ayoade employs his encyclopedic knowledge of film to great effect, and he commits to the bit for an entire book. What might be considered mean-spirited in a shorter form becomes something significant in its own right - almost a true homage to the film, just from the efforts Ayoade goes to to remain completely dry and deadpan in his overeffusive praise.

It’s not for everyone, and it helps greatly that Ayoade narrates his own work. Not only would it be unthinkable for another narrator to do so, the humor wouldn’t possibly work, particularly if you are familiar with Ayoade’s other work.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Finished and enjoyed Gwendy's Button Box and was tempted to start Magic Feather but I really want to reread King's novels in between new ones so started reading 'Salem's Lot.
    You're not missing anything if you skip Feather. SL is a classic.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Ok, thanks. I'll try to give it another shot.
    I've hated on the poor lady enough. I'll let her be.

Country
    Country Flag

Finished Mesmer, just started Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith. Not the style I expected at all. I'm not usually into the quirky humour and dialogue being a little too perfect/silly (later Lansdale, all Warren Ellis, some Gaiman) but the story has caught my attention and I'm sticking with it. Like that Ollie I just finished reading, this is one of the last Smith books I haven't read yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 680 of 714 FirstFirst ... 180 580 630 670 678 679 680 681 682 690 ... LastLast