Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 689 of 713 FirstFirst ... 189 589 639 679 687 688 689 690 691 699 ... LastLast
Results 17,201 to 17,225 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Full Throttle only has a hand full of good stories IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I can't say anything about Full Throttle, but The Troop was pretty damn awesome.
    I picked Full Throttle. I loved the introduction (I could read a whole book by Joe just about writing and stories from his childhood), and am now reading Throttle. Gotta read all the stories in order.

Amanda, I came very close to choosing The Troop, but after The Pandora Room, I wanted something less creature-y.
    The introduction is excellent!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished Swan Song by Robert McCammon today. Loved it, great fun read. I see why many say it is a top 100 book all time. My first by him but not last. Got a 1st/1st of Boy’s Life ready at some point.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Finished Swan Song by Robert McCammon today. Loved it, great fun read. I see why many say it is a top 100 book all time. My first by him but not last. Got a 1st/1st of Boy’s Life ready at some point.
    That's a good one too. His two best novels I'd say
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Amanda, I came very close to choosing The Troop, but after The Pandora Room, I wanted something less creature-y.
    I can understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Aw yeah-uh!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm still reading The Collected Stories of Frank Herbert. Actually, I've only just now read half of it. I've also started Houses Under the Sea by Caitlin R. Kieran and I'm still chipping away at The Nightmare Chronicles by Douglas Clegg. All three are fantastic reads but I'm going to need a palate cleanser after these actual door stoppers. Maybe Murderbot Diaries 2.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Red Dragon and loved it! I liked the film and of course the book is better in this case. Gonna start The Silence of the Lambs next.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Just finished Red Dragon and loved it! I liked the film and of course the book is better in this case. Gonna start The Silence of the Lambs next.
    Saw SOTL movie first and them read the book after hearing how much better it was. I thought it was identical which is not the norm.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Really? I thought SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was far superior to and much more detailed than the movie. I liked the movie, but I loved the book, which also goes for RED DRAGON. I think once I get the Suntup edition I am going to read all the Hannibal Lecter novels over again.
    Oh, how I wish they hadn't cut that one character out of the book in the movie version of HANNIBAL!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I finished Mississippi Blood by Greg Iles, the most recent in his Penn Cage series. A good old courtroom trial drama with lots of twists and turns. All the various characters and events that Iles set up in the previous two books converge here. The result it not perfect, but it’s a pretty satisfying ending.

Now reading Canal Dreams by Iain Banks, a more somber novel about a cello player from Japan trapped in Panama during the American invasion of 1989. A departure for him, and I’m liking it.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I took the shrinkwrap off of Centipede Press's BLINDSIGHT and turned a few pages.

It smells good.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Ugh, I wish Valancourt e-books weren't so expensive. They have so many books I'd like to read but $10 CAN/ $8 US for an eBook is a little too much.

I'm on page 50 or so of BLINDSIGHT and if it doesn't get any better I'm seriously thinking about selling the set. The other one is still in the shrinkwrap. It's not that it's a bad book, it's just that I am an old fashioned reader and all this new tech stuff just doesn't hold my interest. I could go into more detail but I won't. I'll give it a few more pages.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm interested in buying it if you decide to sell.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I've read 10 Michael Connelly (Lincoln Lawyer/Harry Bosch detective author) books in the past month and have a bunch more on hold at the library. Had never read his work prior to last month and, for the most part, have enjoyed the experience. Started on Black Hills by Dan Simmons for the third time and am determined to finish before new SK and John Sandford releases next Tuesday.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Working my way through Hell House. I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed in it. Maybe my expectations were too high, but it's not like what I was expecting. And all the sexual content is a bit off putting. Hoping to finish it soon so I can start something better.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Starting Little Heaven by Nick Cutter. I'm curious of how it'll stand up to The Troop and The Deep.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I finished Canal Dreams, and it was solid but not spectacular. The main "Panama" plot thread was very good, with some fine character development and suspense. The scenes in flashback were interesting, but didn't really mesh well with the main plot. I was expecting some episode in the character's past that would shed light on her behaviour in the main thread, but it didn't happen (or I missed it).

Anyway, now splitting my time between The Girl Who Lived Twice by David Lagercrantz (audio), and The Pursuit of the Pankera by Robert A. Heinlein (ebook).

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Working my way through Hell House. I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed in it. Maybe my expectations were too high, but it's not like what I was expecting. And all the sexual content is a bit off putting. Hoping to finish it soon so I can start something better.
    bears had to struggle through it, not very successfully

currently reading: Full Throttle by Joe Hill

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Really? I thought SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was far superior to and much more detailed than the movie.
    Absolutely. I didn't even like the movie, but loved the book, and was totally surprised at how good it was. (never could really get into the sequels, though)

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Really? I thought SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was far superior to and much more detailed than the movie.
    Absolutely. I didn't even like the movie, but loved the book, and was totally surprised at how good it was. (never could really get into the sequels, though)
    Have to love the Book vs. Movie debate! Love it. Even as a film student it was hard to know how much the book matters? Or should the source material be ignored all together to gauge the movie on it's own merit? Or is it possible to separate the two? Interesting debate.

seeking: anything DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Country
    Country Flag

this is actually a very interesting question. Logically I am inclined to separate the two and judge each on its own merit, but logic doesn't always help. Like, watching any King adaptation I can't but jump and yell every minute: it wasn't like this! why did she say it? where is that episode? and where did this episode come from? what did you do with that line, it was my favorite?!... well, you all know. I think it is much easier to separate them when neither is particularly dear to one's heart. I believe for me it is precisely the case with the Lambs: I found the movie moderately boring and pointless, and the book moderately (comparing to, for example, TDT or, I don't know, Dickens novels) intelligent and enjoyable

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's been on my list for awhile but in reading reviews, it did seem like it was pretty heavy on the sexual stuff, which kind of turned me off as well. You'll have to let me know your overall impression/recommendation when you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    currently reading: Full Throttle by Joe Hill
    Me too! I have two stories left. My favorites so far were Dark Carousel, Faun, and Late Returns. How about you?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

I've only started, only three stories in. I think I liked every one better than the previous so far. Wolverton Station, even though it didn't go anywhere really far, had its brilliant moments, and -
    Spoiler:
    Family Arms!!!

bears love such stuff beyond words

will see how the collection is fromm then on

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

That's been on my list for awhile but in reading reviews, it did seem like it was pretty heavy on the sexual stuff, which kind of turned me off as well. You'll have to let me know your overall impression/recommendation when you finish.
    I'm not sure I would recommend it. It was ok to start but then as it continued I had to force myself to keep reading and just hurry up and finish it so I could move onto something better. I'm not surprised to hear that so many others also found it dull and a struggle, but I swear before I started it, I thought it only had high praise and everyone thought it was terrifying. It was nothing of the sort and I'd rate it as average and forgettable.

After I finished that one I picked up The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix. I loved it and could not put it down. Highly recommend this one.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started The Bank by Bentley Little. I've never read any of his books and all I know is that he seems to be not appreciated by some members here...especially a well known unboxer. I wouldn't have sought out any of his books but I received Walking Alone in a CD grab bag and The Bank in the CD ARC grab bag. I'm only a little bit into The Bank so I don't want to make any quick judgements but there is something about his writing that doesn't seem to work for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 689 of 713 FirstFirst ... 189 589 639 679 687 688 689 690 691 699 ... LastLast