Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 684 of 714 FirstFirst ... 184 584 634 674 682 683 684 685 686 694 ... LastLast
Results 17,076 to 17,100 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    St. Troy: everyone who reads Dickens these days conquers bears' heart forever!
    What, doesn’t everyone?
    it breaks my heart to admit that no, they don't!

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I have never read Dickens, what's a good one to start with?
    what Troy said; also, Great Expectations is the most similar to a novel in the common meaning of the word; while Nicholas Nicklby (my personal favorite) is, in bears' opinion, the most dickensian

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

AHFOG was the opposite of The Loney: less purely enjoyable prose, but much more meat on its bones and actual nefarious doings afoot. [And when I say "less purely enjoyable prose," it's not that the writing is actually bad; AHFOG's documentary nature (mostly first-person recollection; the rest is an informal blog) undoubtedly gives it the flavor it has. The upshot is that, even having read AHFOG, I don’t feel that I know what Tremblay’s writing is actually like, and so one day I will read his next novel (Disappearance At Devil’s Rock).]
    Disappearance at Devil's Rock is very different from AHFOG. It's a great story, though one I'm not sure I'd read again, only because it was a bit disturbing in a very realistic sense. There's images in that book that are still stuck with me today even though it's been a number of years since I read it. That said, I would definitely recommend it.

Cabin at the End of the World was really good as well.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Finally got around to starting We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Loving it so far.
    oh, I love it! The Haunting is even better, but then again The Haunting is better than almost anything that is already written or is going to be.
    Good to know; I have to get around to reading that.
    yes, and her short stories too. She is incredible.

ETA
    I'm about halfway through, so we'll see how I feel by the end of it, but right now I'm enjoying it way more than The Haunting of Hill House.
    ...ooooooooops...........

Country
    Country Flag

I really wish I had read it prior to watching the miniseries.
    And I. Really. Really. REALLY wish you had.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Don't worry Jean, I also love The Haunting of Hill House

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

HoHH is one of the most unnerving books I have ever read. I had seen the first film version of it ages ago but when I read the book, it really creeped me out. I love it. I haven't seen the netflix show yet but I hear it's pretty good.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Michael Marshall - Bad Things

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    HoHH is one of the most unnerving books I have ever read. I had seen the first film version of it ages ago but when I read the book, it really creeped me out. I love it. I haven't seen the netflix show yet but I hear it's pretty good.
    I really enjoyed the show. Have yet to read the book.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

It took me a few tries to watch just because it is so different from the book. But once I realized that and got past the first episode, it really was an amazing series. Genuinely creepy. I wish more horror films took cues from this show. Definitely recommend it, just dont expect the book going in.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just started it last night. Fun writing style. Some beautiful sentences. I can already see how influential it is. Good stuff so far.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished Blaze. Not that great. Was ok at best. At least I can say I read it now.
    Started Swan Song by McCammron. My first by him. Hoping it is good. Heard good things about it
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Finished Blaze. Not that great. Was ok at best. At least I can say I read it now.
    Started Swan Song by McCammron. My first by him. Hoping it is good. Heard good things about it
    Sorry to hear that about Blaze. I really enjoyed that one.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's good - one of McCammon's best (together with Boy's life - which is better.)
    But it's not as good as some claim it is - like superior to king's The Stand.
    Enjoy!!

sk

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    It's good - one of McCammon's best (together with Boy's life - which is better.)
    But it's not as good as some claim it is - like superior to king's The Stand.
    Enjoy!!

sk
    The Stand is one of the best books ever!!!! Don't expect it to surpass it.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Would love to see what you think of it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I liked Blaze okay. It had the feel of an early Bachman book, which is what interested me most about it.

Swan Song is very good - some very original ideas, and the writing is fine. It's also very much a book of its time - I don't mean that as a negative, I read it recently and still enjoyed it - I mean it has a very distinctive voice and style of the 80s epic horror novel. Hard to compare it to The Stand - they are very different novels.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, a few things on the go:

The War of the Worlds reread when I'm out and about and I can squeeze in a chapter.

The Complete Short Stories of Frank Herbert - home reading, might take a while. Nearly 700 pages in negative 5 font size.

City of the Chach - reread because I decided I'm going to finally finish the entire series.

Picking up Rosemary's Baby from the library tomorrow and that's going to be the main read.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post

The War of the Worlds reread when I'm out and about and I can squeeze in a chapter.

The Complete Short Stories of Frank Herbert - home reading, might take a while. Nearly 700 pages in negative 5 font size.

City of the Chach - reread because I decided I'm going to finally finish the entire series.

Picking up Rosemary's Baby from the library tomorrow and that's going to be the main read.
    Have you read Rosemary's Baby before? If not, you're in for a treat. Great book.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

Have you read Rosemary's Baby before? If not, you're in for a treat. Great book.
    Is it ever. Really loving it. Time Machine when it comes next. I read the my limited (CAREFULLY) of Rosemary and really added to it.

PS: I liked Brother better though Bri
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

I honestly can't remember. I lost about ten years worth of lists (movies, books, concerts, TV shows). Either way, I like to pick a theme for a month and more or less try to stick with it. I've recently reread two books Suntup published + RB and then I'm going to tackle a few Centipede did.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Not even in the same ballpark, my friend

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Not even in the same ballpark, my friend
    Maybe for some...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

If you don't like it, don't swear off McCammon. I struggled to get through this one although I loved Boy's Life and enjoyed a few of his other books.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I'm finally reading Pet Sematary. I avoided it for years because I had seen the film and wanted to forget all that I knew before I could read it. Then I avoided it because I had a kid and was too scared to read it.
    Having said that, about 30 pages in, I decided that I don't really care for The Creeds very much. Are these people supposed to be likable?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I'm finally reading Pet Sematary. I avoided it for years because I had seen the film and wanted to forget all that I knew before I could read it. Then I avoided it because I had a kid and was too scared to read it.
    Having said that, about 30 pages in, I decided that I don't really care for The Creeds very much. Are these people supposed to be likable?
    Seems to me Louis does not like his own daughter much (cannot blame him on that)! Ha!

Gotta love Jud though!

seeking Gunslinger #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

+ Reply to Thread
Page 684 of 714 FirstFirst ... 184 584 634 674 682 683 684 685 686 694 ... LastLast