Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 440 of 714 FirstFirst ... 340 390 430 438 439 440 441 442 450 490 540 ... LastLast
Results 10,976 to 11,000 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really looking forward to reading this:

This novel demands that the reader immediately suspend disbelief, but if this summons is heeded the reward will be a superior tale told by Hamill (Snow in August; A Drinking Life) in the cadence of the master storyteller. The year is 1741 and this is the story of Cormac O'Connor-"Irish, and a Jew"-who grows up in Ireland under English Protestant rule and is secretly schooled in Gaelic religion, myth and language. Seeking to avenge the murder of his father by the Earl of Warren, he follows the trail of the earl to New York City. On board ship, Cormac befriends African slave Kongo, and once in New York, the two join a rebellion against the British. After the rising is quelled, mobs take to the streets and Kongo is seized. Cormac saves Kongo from death, but is shot in the process. His recovery takes a miraculous turn when Kongo's dead priestess, Tomora, appears and grants Cormac eternal life and youth-so long as he never leaves the island of Manhattan, thus the "Forever" of the title. What follows is a portrait of the "city of memory of which Cormac was the only citizen." Cormac fights in the American Revolution, sups with Boss Tweed (in a very sympathetic portrait) and lives into the New York of 2001. In that year he warily falls in love with Delfina, a streetwise Dominican ("That was the curse attached to the gift: You buried everyone you loved"), and comes into contact with a descendant of the Earl of Warren, the newspaper publisher Willie Warren. His love, his drive for revenge and his very desire to exist are fatefully challenged on the eve and the day of September 11. This rousing, ambitious work is beautifully woven around historical events and characters, but it is Hamill's passionate pursuit of justice and compassion-Celtic in foundation-that distinguishes this tale of New York City and its myriad peoples.
    Anybody read this?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guys, I have copied the "sauce assault" posts to this new thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    And would you consider many of those good or great ?

And if so - NAMES.
    Not until you read those too. I am holding out on you. Those are the best since Fevre Dream anyhow.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Tobias Buckel - Sly Mongoose
    Neal Stephenson - The Big U

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Just finished Game of Thrones... onto Clash of Kings
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post

Currently reading, FAHRENHEIT 451, by Ray Bradbury (re-read)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started Wizard and Glass in my reread of The Dark Tower series. Better than I remembered!

John

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

how you liking it?

I'm currently rereading Clash, actually. Also rereading War and Remembrance and I started Animal Farm last night...
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

here is what i am reading at the moment

Does whatever a spiderman does.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Just started Wizard and Glass in my reread of The Dark Tower series. Better than I remembered!

John
    I have to admit, it does get better on re-read

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    here is what i am reading at the moment

I love Joe Hill. Please let us know what you think of his novels.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    how you liking it?
    Well, I enjoyed the first book, but I had watched the first season already, so I knew what was going on. Just started book 2 but I am not going to watch season 2 until I am finished the book and see what I think!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally got a copy of The Scarlet Letter. Reading it on my vaction.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Started Vol. 1 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen this afternoon. This one won't take me very long at all...it is very good!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    Started Vol. 1 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen this afternoon. This one won't take me very long at all...it is very good!
    YES YES YES! Read all of them in publishing order. New one just came out.

Traveler Roast is on a distinguished road Roast's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been tumbling through book one of the Illuminatus! trilogy for a couple of weeks now - the Eye in the Pyramid - and I'd definitely highly recommend it...that is, if you enjoy an incredibly schizophrenic narrative, consistently travelling to and fro between tenses, and acres upon acres of name-dropping (sounds...familiar, now that I think about it.)
    Yes. It's pretty excellent, although I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from people who believe it to be just a smidge too wacky for their tastes.
    If anybody browsing this page has read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Three Musketeers. I can't say I understand every sentence (some of them seem ridiculously convoluted to me), but I do understand every paragraph! It's pretty enjoyable although I'm ready for some serious plot to happen, instead of hints that plot will happen soon.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Reading through Nightmares & Dreamscapes. "Chattery Teeth" was excellent, but what. the. fuck. was up with "Dedication"? Easily the worst King short story I've ever read. Blah and yuck.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    <...>what. the. fuck. was up with "Dedication"? Easily the worst King short story I've ever read. Blah and yuck.
    I remember that it bored me to tears and I've never re-read it.

Reading now: Summer of Night, by Dan Simmons. Fantastic.

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. Where are you in the book? I'm right at the middle point. Actually, more like 55% done.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Agreed. Where are you in the book? I'm right at the middle point. Actually, more like 55% done.
    I only started today, 15% in

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Reading through Nightmares & Dreamscapes. "Chattery Teeth" was excellent, but what. the. fuck. was up with "Dedication"? Easily the worst King short story I've ever read. Blah and yuck.
    I didn't find much to like in Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Weak collection. Only a few nuggets.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Nearly finished and really loving it.

Country
    Country Flag

Still reading Summer of Night. Just finished Red Nails by Robert E. Howard and holy fucking racism Batman! I couldn't believe that shit. This wasn't some fencewalking (like Simmon's slight xenophobia in Song of Kali and Phases of Gravity), this was just straight up good ol' Texas boy racism. Holy fuck! I'm still not over it. Calling Conan's enemies (who are always black) "black dogs", negroes etc. Conan being fueled by "racial anger". I heard that Howard was racist but sometimes you don't believe something until you see it. That being said, the stories were good. But if he were to write like that today, his career would be even shorter lived than it really was.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 440 of 714 FirstFirst ... 340 390 430 438 439 440 441 442 450 490 540 ... LastLast