Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 407 of 714 FirstFirst ... 307 357 397 405 406 407 408 409 417 457 507 ... LastLast
Results 10,151 to 10,175 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Finished "Horns: by Joe Hill 2 nights ago. Great composition but is a 3, hate flashbacks.
    On to Duma Key, fun so far
    Duma Key is one of my favorites, I hope you enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
    Let me know how this is, I've been wanting to read it for awhile now.
    I am liking it quite a bit so far. Ray Bradbury's prose style is really interesting to me. There's something beautiful about how his sentences flow, to the degree that it occasionally distracts me from the story itself. haha.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    The only thing I don't like is how he has to re-explain everything every book. I know what a fucken soulgaze is by now, quit explaining it to me every fucken book, sheesh.
    This. ^^^

I'm about halfway through Summer Knight and that is definitely my big problem with Jim Butcher. I can understand reiterating a few key points in the first couple of books, so that people hopping in partway will understand, but seriously, every book? If I'm up to the fourth book, it's safe to assume I understand how Dresden's world works.

In spite of this, I will admit that there are a few bits here and there that are keeping me reading. Mostly, the inhabitants of the NeverNever. I'm digging the way he's done Fae society...the politics, rules, and personalities of everything there.

I suppose I'll keep at it, since I am liking certain aspects, and, if for nothing else, not having anything else to read at the moment.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SigTauGimp View Post
    Working my way through the third novel in the "Dresden" series. I've heard tons of good things about the novels, but I am having a hella hard time getting into them. I'm hoping if I keep toughing it out, they'll get better for me.
    I just finished book 9 last night and I really like them. I don't think they're very....deep?....but they're very fast paced and extremely entertaining. The only thing I don't like is how he has to re-explain everything every book. I know what a fucken soulgaze is by now, quit explaining it to me every fucken book, sheesh.
    That's because they are written to be able to be picked up at any point and read, I think. I mean, of course there is an overall story, but any of them(especially the earlier ones) could also be read as a standalone book. I suppose it becomes less likely in the last few books, though. I can't really remember if he keeps it up all the way through, though, because it never bothered me enough to notice to begin with.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

First of all, SigTauGimp....awesome av/sig combo.

Second, Bruno, I really think the Dresden Files books get much deeper as you go. The 12th book, Changes, is brutally intense and introduces a lot of "deeper" issues for Harry. It's good stuff.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    I am reading "Lisey's Story" by Stephen King.
    my condolences
    And on a side note, I was just randomly clicking back on pages of this thread and stumbled upon this gem from September. Jean, I seriously just LOL'ed at work.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Starting "The Chamber" by Grisham.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    my condolences
    And on a side note, I was just randomly clicking back on pages of this thread and stumbled upon this gem from September. Jean, I seriously just LOL'ed at work.
    The pain... Tried 3 times so far I think. Lisey's Story will be on my death bed and unread it looks like. Only chance is if SK sees the path before me and does not pull a Tupac for too long
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Lisey's Story is thankfully beginning to fade from my memory.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Why thank you, ma'am. Always glad to see another fan of Reshi.

Just about to start on book six of the Dresden series. This last one definitely helped the cause. I loved the religious angles in it, with the Knights, and the Fallen.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

sk

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Lisey's Story is thankfully beginning to fade from my memory.
    One of my all-time King favorites.

sk

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    my condolences
    The pain... Tried 3 times so far I think. Lisey's Story will be on my death bed and unread it looks like. Only chance is if SK sees the path before me and does not pull a Tupac for too long
    Yeah, I wouldn't rush to finish it. I persevered expecting it to get better, but no luck.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Just about to start on book six of the Dresden series. This last one definitely helped the cause. I loved the religious angles in it, with the Knights, and the Fallen.
    Is that Dead Beat? If so, that's my all-time favorite book from the series! And if it isn't....(and I really can't be bothered to look it up atm, sorry. I'm currently brain-dead from organic chemistry homework) rest assured that if you don't love book 6, Dead Beat is simply fantastic!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    How are the second and third books in the Hunger trilogy compared to the first ?
    For me, the first book reminded me of so many other stories I've read before, that I was pleased when the second and third books went beyond that.

I'm interested in others' opinions as well.
    Definitely. I know everyone, including myself, compared the first one to Battle Royale, but I like the Hunger Games' ending much better, mostly because
    Battle Royale
    I also liked how
    Hunger Games Trilogy
    . But there was way too much
    Hunger Games Trilogy
    bullshit going on. I think it ended well but for a while I was just thinking "shut. the fuck. up." I'm really looking forward to the movie in that the story will be there but the shitty writing will hopefully not be.

Also, don't know about anyone else, but I was super pissed when
    Mockingjay

I could go on about these books for ages.
    I haven't read BATTLE ROYALE, but I agree with everything you said here about THE HUNGER GAMES.

Recently finished THE NIGHT CIRCUS. Loved it. Need to decide on my next book now...

Oh yeah, I think I promised Jean I'd read, ROADWORK. Decision made.

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post

Is that Dead Beat? If so, that's my all-time favorite book from the series! And if it isn't....(and I really can't be bothered to look it up atm, sorry. I'm currently brain-dead from organic chemistry homework) rest assured that if you don't love book 6, Dead Beat is simply fantastic!
    Dead Beat is seven. Six is Blood Rites(first appearance of Mouse!).

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The opening scene of Blood Rites with the box full of puppies is probably my favorite scenes in a book, ever.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

story of ice and fire...... best books i have read in a looong time.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guessing you haven't read A Feast for Crows yet, then.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

92 pages left in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Recently finished THE NIGHT CIRCUS. Loved it. Need to decide on my next book now...

Oh yeah, I think I promised Jean I'd read, ROADWORK. Decision made.
    Ahem....

It.....

Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    story of ice and fire...... best books i have read in a looong time.
    I JUST started A Clash of Kings, second book in the Song of Fire and Ice series, LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

good to see all the ASOIAF love.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 407 of 714 FirstFirst ... 307 357 397 405 406 407 408 409 417 457 507 ... LastLast