Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 443 of 714 FirstFirst ... 343 393 433 441 442 443 444 445 453 493 543 ... LastLast
Results 11,051 to 11,075 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post

Such an amazing book, about such a horrible event. Reads like a novel, with great level of detail. You can't help but think this is made up, but none of it is.
    I may have to check this out although it may be to "real" for me. This kind of information just...well makes me sad.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe I can finally get out of my reading slump since I just bought another 240ish books.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

good!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post

Such an amazing book, about such a horrible event. Reads like a novel, with great level of detail. You can't help but think this is made up, but none of it is.
    I may have to check this out although it may be to "real" for me. This kind of information just...well makes me sad.
    Definitely do check it out. This type of book would make anyone sad, naturally, but it's an important book, and it's also a well-written and very informative book.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The Architecture of Fear - anthology
    Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman - Bad Omens

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With the passing of Gore Vidal, I'd like to read some of his work, but I'm not sure where to begin. Any ideas?

Gunslinger Apprentice The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Reading this because I think my novel will have similar elements. I find it ironic I was suppose to read this freshman year of HS
    "If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you will never change the outcome" -Michael Jordan

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It is a good one. I love Christie.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

so do bears

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I just looked that up (never heard of it). SOLD.

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Beatles: Biography, Revolution in the Head, You never give me your money. My Beatles 'Trilogy'

Also read a couple of biographies and I think I will read 'Seven years to save the Planet' by Bill Mcguire next.

Then...

... who knows, I might have to read Pet Semetary like I promised a certain bear!
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Maybe I can finally get out of my reading slump since I just bought another 240ish books.
    You sound like me Only problem is my reading slump continues and my too read pile grows...
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Never heard of it??

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

More than a third of the way through my initial reread.

Gunslinger Apprentice The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started this, my eyes really do not appreciate the jammed-together text but I'll trudge through.

Brice, it definitely is an awesome book.

Feev, you really haven't heard of this book* before? I highly recommend it.

*This book meaning And Then There Were None
    Last edited by The Road Virus; 08-02-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: I'm not very clear at times.
    "If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you will never change the outcome" -Michael Jordan

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone heard of this? Picked up a copy based on:
    The entire cosmos, they tell him, has been hopelessly hooked on humanity’s music ever since “Year Zero” (1977 to us), when American pop songs first reached alien ears. This addiction has driven a vast intergalactic society to commit the biggest copyright violation since the Big Bang. The resulting fines and penalties have bankrupted the whole universe. We humans suddenly own everything—and the aliens are not amused.

Thought I'd give it a try since I do some copyright work and can't think of it ever being the topic of a novel, much less sci fi.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Scarlet Letter is such a great book. Hawthorne has such great use of language, he's rather quite a poet in his means of getting his story across. He's not easy to read as he's rather more focused on painting an emotional picture to you than moving the story along. He illustrates his characters well and he draws you into their struggles by giving visual means to their distress. I love the character of Pearl, she a very bewitching character; smarter and wiser than her years allow, seeming born of sin and is often desribed as elfish or fairy like. For a two hundred page book it's a long read, due to the thick use of language but it's a rewarding one.

Now I'm about seventy pages into Farenheit 451 which is been simply fantastic so far. Looking forward to finishing it tomorrow.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The Scarlet Letter is such a great book. Hawthorne has such great use of language, he's rather quite a poet in his means of getting his story across. He's not easy to read as he's rather more focused on painting an emotional picture to you than moving the story along. He illustrates his characters well and he draws you into their struggles by giving visual means to their distress. I love the character of Pearl, she a very bewitching character; smarter and wiser than her years allow, seeming born of sin and is often desribed as elfish or fairy like. For a two hundred page book it's a long read, due to the thick use of language but it's a rewarding one.

Now I'm about seventy pages into Farenheit 451 which is been simply fantastic so far. Looking forward to finishing it tomorrow.
    I love Hawthorne. When I was in high school I hated him because most of the interesting stuff about him, including stuff like him having a lot of guilt about his family being involved in the Salem Witch Trials and his sort of questioning the nature of religion and such in his works a lot as a result, were left completely out of the conversation because I live in the bible belt and people get cranky about that stuff(the same goes for Emily Dickinson and her very likely bisexuality and dislike of the nature of religion of her time). I knew next to nothing about Hawthorne and hated his work as a result. Once I went to college and learned a lot of the historical context to place him in and what he was actually addressing with his writing, I fell in love with his work.

The Blithedale Romance is another work I would recommend. It is very interesting when read in context of the sort of utopian communal living situation that he and a bunch of Transcendentalists of the time tried to build and failed called Brook Farm.

The short stories ""Young Goodman Brown," "The Minister's Black Veil,"Rappaccini's Daughter,and "Wakefield" are some of my other favorite works of his.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    The Architecture of Fear - anthology
    Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman - Bad Omens
    Ummm....isn't that Good Omens?

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    You are in for a treat, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by noal View Post
    The Beatles: Biography, Revolution in the Head, You never give me your money. My Beatles 'Trilogy'

Also read a couple of biographies and I think I will read 'Seven years to save the Planet' by Bill Mcguire next.

Then...

... who knows, I might have to read Pet Semetary like I promised a certain bear!
    The Beatles=best band ever
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    You sound like me Only problem is my reading slump continues and my too read pile grows...
    I figured I couldn't lose getting 240 books for less than $1 each AFTER shipping costs. My to read pile grows any more after this and I'll have to move out the bed and sleep on books. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by The Road Virus View Post

Just started this, my eyes really do not appreciate the jammed-together text but I'll trudge through.

Brice, it definitely is an awesome book.

Feev, you really haven't heard of this book* before? I highly recommend it.

*This book meaning And Then There Were None
    That's another great one and amongst my all time favorites.

Oh, that's an all time favorite too. *hugs his signed copy*

I also love Hawthorne, especially his short stories. Pick up Twice Told Tales to start.

If you rescue me

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Yep, Good Omens. Brain-freeze.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post

I love Hawthorne. When I was in high school I hated him because most of the interesting stuff about him, including stuff like him having a lot of guilt about his family being involved in the Salem Witch Trials and his sort of questioning the nature of religion and such in his works a lot as a result, were left completely out of the conversation because I live in the bible belt and people get cranky about that stuff(the same goes for Emily Dickinson and her very likely bisexuality and dislike of the nature of religion of her time). I knew next to nothing about Hawthorne and hated his work as a result. Once I went to college and learned a lot of the historical context to place him in and what he was actually addressing with his writing, I fell in love with his work.

The Blithedale Romance is another work I would recommend. It is very interesting when read in context of the sort of utopian communal living situation that he and a bunch of Transcendentalists of the time tried to build and failed called Brook Farm.

The short stories ""Young Goodman Brown," "The Minister's Black Veil,"Rappaccini's Daughter,and "Wakefield" are some of my other favorite works of his.
    I think all those short stories are in the paperback I picked up a few weeks back, containing his great short works, two of them for sure are in there; it contained The Scarlet Letter which is why I bought it then found a nice hardcover of The Scarlet Letter I had to pick it up. I bought a copy of The Marble Faun by Hawthorne as well, so if you have read it I'd like to know if it is worth bumping up my list.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's kind of hard for me to judge. I started reading it when I was in a reading slump and never quite got back to it.

If you rescue me

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently on Song of Susannah on my re-read and I'm shocked by how much I'm enjoying it this go around. In the past, I pretty much hated it.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

70 pages into Jane Eyre and loving it. Imagine I'll be over halfway through by the time I get home in a few days.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I'm currently on Song of Susannah on my re-read and I'm shocked by how much I'm enjoying it this go around. In the past, I pretty much hated it.

70 pages into Jane Eyre and loving it. Imagine I'll be over halfway through by the time I get home in a few days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 443 of 714 FirstFirst ... 343 393 433 441 442 443 444 445 453 493 543 ... LastLast