Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 707 of 713 FirstFirst ... 207 607 657 697 705 706 707 708 709 ... LastLast
Results 17,651 to 17,675 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Neil Gaiman - American Gods
    One of my favorite books of all time. First time reading?

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Goldsboro Books has signed copies of the upcoming Werner Herzog novel "The Twilight World" for preorder.

"In his first novel, the great filmmaker, Werner Herzog, tells the incredible story of a Japanese soldier who defended a small island for twenty-nine years after the end of World War II."
    You have to read it in his voice though.
    If only Klaus Kinski were still alive they could beat each other over the head with copies. Kinski wrote a great narcissistic autobiography. It contains gems like he once contemplated eating a cow while it was still alive during the war because he didn't have the means to kill it (having rejected the idea of strangling the cow with his bare hands as implausible). Also every woman he encountered found him irresistible and insisted on sleeping with him. Or so he says.
    Klaus Kinski, one of the best+crazyest actors ever.
    There is a documentary film by Herzog about the shooting of the Fitzcaraldo movie, in which some local actors offered Irl. to kill Klaus Kinskii for being so weird/bizarre---

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Goldsboro Books has signed copies of the upcoming Werner Herzog novel "The Twilight World" for preorder.

"In his first novel, the great filmmaker, Werner Herzog, tells the incredible story of a Japanese soldier who defended a small island for twenty-nine years after the end of World War II."
    You have to read it in his voice though.
    If only Klaus Kinski were still alive they could beat each other over the head with copies. Kinski wrote a great narcissistic autobiography. It contains gems like he once contemplated eating a cow while it was still alive during the war because he didn't have the means to kill it (having rejected the idea of strangling the cow with his bare hands as implausible). Also every woman he encountered found him irresistible and insisted on sleeping with him. Or so he says.
    Klaus Kinski, one of the best+crazyest actors ever.
    There is a documentary film by Herzog about the shooting of the Fitzcaraldo movie, in which some local actors offered Irl. to kill Klaus Kinskii for being so weird/bizarre---
    Here is a great stream of consciousness quote from Herzog about Kinski, the jungle, and God:

Werner Herzog : [On the jungle] Kinski always says it's full of erotic elements. I don't see it so much erotic. I see it more full of obscenity. It's just - Nature here is vile and base. I wouldn't see anything erotical here. I would see fornication and asphyxiation and choking and fighting for survival and... growing and... just rotting away. Of course, there's a lot of misery. But it is the same misery that is all around us. The trees here are in misery, and the birds are in misery. I don't think they - they sing. They just screech in pain. It's an unfinished country. It's still prehistorical. The only thing that is lacking is - is the dinosaurs here. It's like a curse weighing on an entire landscape. And whoever... goes too deep into this has his share of this curse. So we are cursed with what we are doing here. It's a land that God, if he exists has - has created in anger. It's the only land where - where creation is unfinished yet. Taking a close look at - at what's around us there - there is some sort of a harmony. It is the harmony of... overwhelming and collective murder. And we in comparison to the articulate vileness and baseness and obscenity of all this jungle - Uh, we in comparison to that enormous articulation - we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half-finished sentences out of a stupid suburban... novel... a cheap novel. We have to become humble in front of this overwhelming misery and overwhelming fornication... overwhelming growth and overwhelming lack of order. Even the - the stars up here in the - in the sky look like a mess. There is no harmony in the universe. We have to get acquainted to this idea that there is no real harmony as we have conceived it. But when I say this, I say this all full of admiration for the jungle. It is not that I hate it, I love it. I love it very much. But I love it against my better judgment.

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Kinski was like Peter Sellers from what i hear really awful people and hard to be around but they were talented as fuck. if what i read about Klaus his own kids could not stand him and didn't even got to his Funeral! if he wrote that in his bio than yeah i believe it. and Sellers was also a really talented guy but his kids also could not stand him and in both cases it's just plain sad i think. anyways

i finished The Last Precinct (2000) by Patrica Cornwell it a good book but it's not one of the best in the series. i'd say 7/10

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Some Klaus Kinski stuff

Spoiler:
    Kill Kinski

Fiztcarraldo fight english sub.

Herzog-Kinski doku

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some people learn that complaining and acting outrageously makes them the center of attention. In my opinion, these antics were mostly an affectation by Kinski for that purpose. No doubt he was an insecure narcissist, but a lot of these tantrums were contrived. Still entertaining.

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

on film yes i agree in real life however i think they wanted to beat his ass and Sellers too and i can't honestly say that i blame them for that either. well i'm reading Blow Fy (2003) the #12 Kay Scarpetta book and as i just posted on my Patrica Cornwell thread she's barely even in it and it's not one of her best either.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Everyone said Speaks the Nightbird by McCammon was a good read. Everyone was right. I just finished it and can't wait to start Queen of Bedlam. I order those two to start and have the rest of the series on order from Lividian.

I'm also reading Mary's Mosaic by Peter Janney. It's a non-fiction account of the murder of Mary Pinchot Meyer who was President Kennedy's mistress. Very revealing, well written and informative.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Yep, McCammon’s the real deal, and the Corbett books are some of his best work. Enjoy the rest of the series, Brian.

I’ll be starting on King of Shadows as soon as I finish up my current reads - Johnny Got His Gun and Wolves of the Calla.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Traveler LadyHazmat is a jewel in the rough LadyHazmat is a jewel in the rough LadyHazmat is a jewel in the rough LadyHazmat is a jewel in the rough

Recently revisited The Talisman and Black House. I'm half-way through Wizard and Glass, but after five and half books, I needed a break from Frank Muller's narration. Now I'm listening to The Fisherman by John Langan.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHazmat View Post
    Recently revisited The Talisman and Black House. I'm half-way through Wizard and Glass, but after five and half books, I needed a break from Frank Muller's narration. Now I'm listening to The Fisherman by John Langan.
    I like Muiler's narration, but it does get a little tiring after a while - his sometimes-over-dramatic tone does not always make for easy listening.

I've also been taking another journey to the Tower, stopping off along the way to read the relevant side novels and stories in the order they were published. Some stories I've listened to, but the main 7 stories I'm reading in print. I'm reading Wolves of the Calla at the moment, which is better than I remembered.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

After finishing "Elevation" - loved it - I have finally gotten around to Later. I have about 40 pages left - a really good read so far.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I'm also reading Mary's Mosaic by Peter Janney. It's a non-fiction account of the murder of Mary Pinchot Meyer who was President Kennedy's mistress. Very revealing, well written and informative.
    I'd never heard of MPM and just quickly glanced at her Wikipedia page; I don't know the details of the murder or her relationship with JFK, but I wouldn't have expected the wife of a CIA official who'd been involved with JFK to have a long life expectancy.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I'd never heard of MPM and just quickly glanced at her Wikipedia page; I don't know the details of the murder or her relationship with JFK, but I wouldn't have expected the wife of a CIA official who'd been involved with JFK to have a long life expectancy.
    The story is crazy and I haven't even got to all the revelations yet. The murder was definitely an op though.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just ordered Uzumaki, very excited to start my Junji Ito journey:

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I bought a few of his books awhile ago but still haven't started them yet. I should get on that.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Locklands, the third and final story in the Foundryside trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett.

I’m not a big reader of fantasy stories, by this trilogy was outstanding. Highly recommended.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I bought a few of his books awhile ago but still haven't started them yet. I should get on that.
    Which books do you have? I've read that starting with his longer works (Uzumaki, Tomie, and Gyo) is best.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Which books do you have? I've read that starting with his longer works (Uzumaki, Tomie, and Gyo) is best.
    I have Uzumaki, Gyo, Sensor, and Venus in the Blind. I was thinking of maybe starting with a short story, but I've been dying to read Uzumaki since I discovered it was a book. I saw the movie ages ago and loved it. I also really enjoyed Tomie so that ones on my list to pick up.

I think I need to start a list of books I have and then organize by how much I want to read them. Also I have to get back to reading physical books again instead of my kindle. It's just super convenient to read on that so I usually finish one and then just look for another on it versus looking at my bookshelves.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I really can't read books electronically, and no matter how many times I've tried audiobooks, my mind just can't concentrate and all I hear is just words.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty good November so far:

Cormac McCarthy - No Country for Old Men. Every day is a loss, time is against you, evil will always exist, your pain is indifferent to your suffering. So damned bleak. Why did I love it then?

Tim Powers - Artificial Light. Another ghost story by Powers. I'll have to reread it because he and Gene Wolfe get better and clearer the second time. Maybe I could've waited for an ebook or a collection but handmade letterpress books are my weakness.

Harlan Ellison - Blood's a Rover. The main story is A Boy and His Dog (3.1 people might remember the movie with Don Johnson as the boy) and then the accompanying short stories and screenplays. It's a post-apocalyptic story with killer gangs, telepathic dogs and mutants. Plus it's Ellison so of course there's going to be some acerbic commentary hidden between the lines on how we're all dumb.

I'm reading and having a tough time getting into Fairy Tale by King. No editor is going to tell uncle Steve to trim the fat, he's too big for that. The book is 600 pages, I'm halfway done and if this were anyone else, I'd have tapped our at page 100. The story IS neat. It's not original at all but it's interesting... or it would be if everything wasn't so long-winded. Update: bottom 3 King.

I'm almost done the Liggoti book I started last month. I'm not enjoying it in the strictest sense. The stories aren't always even stories, it's more about the mood and people disassociating from reality and/or self. It's pretty dense stuff and I can't really rush it. Beach reading old Thomas is not. I would suggest Dr. Locrian's Asylum to anyone who likes Karl Edward Wagner's and T.E.D. Klein's Dark Gods novellas. It's pretty much weird story masterclass storytelling with the emphasis on story.

Currently reading Jeff Vandermeer - Annihilation. What a wonderfully weird and unsettling world. I shouldn't have watched the movie first.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The Last House on Needless Street

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Lonesome Dove.. Larry McMurtry
    Obviously the greatest western to date.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Simon Strantzas - Burnt Black Suns

I've just finished The Fall of Númenor, a collection of Tolkien's disparate Second Age writings, selected and organized chronologically by Brian Sibley.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Although all the material appears elsewhere across many different works, putting it all in historical order makes for a compelling and enlightening narrative. Sibley meticulously footnotes every editorial decision he makes, annotates the text with quotes from Tolkien's letters, Christopher Tolkien's previous commentary, and his own comments, and treats the original material with the highest respect.

And revisiting Tolkien's rich and majestic prose is always a joy.

Now reading Seventh Decimate, the first in Stephen Donaldson's The Great God's War trilogy. I'm rereading the first two volumes in preparation for the just-released final installment, The Killing God.

Ilium (Simmons)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 707 of 713 FirstFirst ... 207 607 657 697 705 706 707 708 709 ... LastLast