Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 454 of 714 FirstFirst ... 354 404 444 452 453 454 455 456 464 504 554 ... LastLast
Results 11,326 to 11,350 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Jean has begun a Crichton epidemic
    thanks to you, my friend!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

King - Under The Dome
    Bradbury - Machineries of Joy
    Lebbon - Faith in the Flesh
    Lebbon - Jack London 2

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

King- Rose Madder
    Crichton - Andromeda Strain
    Rice - Interview
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Full Dark, No Stars -King
    The Island of Doctor Moreau audiobook - Wells

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

reading Sphere

I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. I can't imagine a better book to read.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

F. Scott Fitzgerald's unfinished novel 'The Last Tycoon'.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    reading Sphere

I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. I can't imagine a better book to read.
    Can't wait for your full-fledged and eloquent review in the MC thread.

Country
    Country Flag

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Knowing Jean's love of both horrors and the japanese culture I think he should see if he can find a copy of the japanese horror anthology listed on my reading list. Of particular note in japanese mystery/weird fiction is nearly anything by Edogawa Rampo ...say it quickly(there is only one of his stories here). There are many more gems here too.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

I think I've read all known Edogawa, but I will see if there's something by someone else I've missed. Yes, bears adore horror and are very partial to anything Japanese!

Spoiler:

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

TOC:

Spoiler:

1.Secrets Of The Metropolis (foreward)
    2.Earthquakes, Lightening, Fire, and Father (introduction)-Higashi Masao
    3.Bizarre Reunion-Akutagawa Masao
    4. The Diabolical Tongue-Murayama Kaita
    5. The Face-Tanazaki Jun'ichirō
    6. Ghosts Of The Metropolis-Toyoshima Yoshio
    7. Doctor Mera's Mysteerious Crimes-Taro Hirai
    8. The Midsummer Emmissary-Minagawa Hiroko
    9. In Thy Shadow=Hisao Juran
    10. Spider-Endo Shusako
    11. The Talisman-Yamakawa Masao
    12 The Arm-Kawabata Yasunari
    13. Expunged by Yakumo-Akae Baku
    14. A Sinister Spectre-Morohoshi Daijiro

Forgive my ignoring the diacriticals. I am lazy.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

oh great!!! I'll look for them now

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Now I must find the first two volumes myself.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

what is the exact name of the anthology?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

KAIKI: Uncanny Tales From Japan Volume 3:Tales Of The Metropolis-Edited by Higashi Masao

If you rescue me

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Knowing Jean's love of both horrors and the japanese culture I think he should see if he can find a copy of the japanese horror anthology listed on my reading list. Of particular note in japanese mystery/weird fiction is nearly anything by Edogawa Rampo ...say it quickly(there is only one of his stories here). There are many more gems here too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I think I've read all known Edogawa, but I will see if there's something by someone else I've missed. Yes, bears adore horror and are very partial to anything Japanese!
    Have either of you seen the movie The Mystery of Rampo?

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster
    The Mystery of Rampo
    Directed by Kazuyoshi Okuyama
    Starring Masahiro Motoki, Naoto Takenaka, and Michiko Hada
    In Japanese with English subtitles
    Film: 5 stars (out of 5)

I love it when a director shows me something new--reaches me in a novel way. The Mystery of Rampo certainly fits the bill. In reading a couple of reviews prior to watching this film, I was led to believe that it would be at best an exercise in trying to follow stream-of-consciousness, overly pretentious filmmaking; or at worst, plotless incoherency.

I did not find that to be the case at all. Of course it is a rather unconventional film that owes a lot to the school of Metafiction. But I never felt lost or manipulated, or felt that the director (Kazuyoshi Okuyama) and cinematographer (Yasushi Sasakibara) were just showing off. I think I could deconstruct what happened plot wise (well, most of it anyway) if I were so inclined. But that’s not the point. I’d rather sit back and revel in the experience and allow myself to appreciate what I think the director is trying to show me.

Basic plot: A mystery writer (Rampo, played by Naoto Takenaka) creates a story where a woman murders her husband by allowing him to suffocate in a trunk. He tries to get his story published but the Japanese censor board is having none of it. Frustrated, he burns his manuscript.

The next day, he reads a story in the newspaper where a woman named Shizuko (Michiko Hada) murders her husband by allowing him to suffocate in a trunk. He is flummoxed because no one but him had any clue about his story.

Rampo endures further insult to his artistic integrity as his previous works are made into ridiculous screenplays and insipid movies. You can see his disillusionment as he attends publicity parties and press events. Is it no wonder that he would rather fall into a fantasy world where his artistry and imagination can break the limitations placed on him by society?

It is at this point that the film veers into the realm of the imagination where characters are not bound by the constraints of reality. Is fantasy imitating life or is life imitating fantasy? Is he writing the story or is the story writing him? Or are they inexorably intertwined?

I've seen this movie many times--it is gorgeous and captivating film. Hada’s beauty is transcendent. I agree with one reviewer who said "just about every scene in the film could be framed and sold as an art poster." Akira Senju’s score (played by the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra) is a perfect fit and some of the prettiest music I’ve ever heard in a film.

*Trivia note:* Edogawa Rampo was a real person. It is the pseudonym for acclaimed Japanese mystery writer Hirai Taro who took the name as an inside joke. Say “Edogawa Rampo” slowly (slurring over the “wa” helps) and with the inflection of a Japanese trying to speak English for the first time and see if you can’t come up with Taro’s favorite author.

Country
    Country Flag

No, I haven't seen it! I sure want to

and grrr, I can't find the book...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never even heard of it before.

If you rescue me

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished "A Clash of Kings"-GRRM, now starting "A Storm of Swords"-GRRM
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started reading "The Wind-up Girl." Opinions on this book without spoilers of course. It's a bit slow so far.

Gabriel
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'll get to it one of these days. It won all sorts of awards so I'm guessing it should be good. I've only read Shipbreaker by him and it was good. YA but competent and not dumbed-down.

I'll take China Mievielle over Bacigalupi in the title for the up and coming future classics deathmatch. Check out Railsea. It came out a couple of months ago. He's a master world builder and he'll do it in 300 pages or less. He's got very creative ideas and an original approach to writting.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Jumped on the bandwagon and re-read Crichton's Prey. Interesting - I liked it better first time thru.
    Now reading the anthology Stories - love the first story so far...
    reality continues to ruin my life

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I finished The Dark Tower (book 7) and am about 1/3 of the way through The Wind Through the Keyhole. I decided to read them in the order they were written.

John

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I just started A Face In The Crowd and then my Kindle died! Now what to read?
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just read I The Tall Grass and A Face in the Crowd.

I have started listening to Mockingjay, the third and final book in The Hunger Games trilogy!

there was a book on the counter at work with a note saying Free so I took it - will get to it when i can. It's The Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll. Its an action, spy thriller (computer espionage) and it's quoted as a NY Times Best Seller.

Also have The Woman, by Jack Ketchum and The Passage, by Justin Cronin sitting on my nightstand!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 454 of 714 FirstFirst ... 354 404 444 452 453 454 455 456 464 504 554 ... LastLast