Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 643 of 713 FirstFirst ... 143 543 593 633 641 642 643 644 645 653 693 ... LastLast
Results 16,051 to 16,075 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    A follow up to this:

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    This morning I began Moby Dick...

I'm reading a special edition of this...

My main concern is that I do my reading on the train, and this is a huge, pristine (for now) white book. Last night, on the train home, a young boy in a stroller brandished a soggy half-eaten Oreo at his fellow travelers, only a few feet away from me and my copy of Last Call. I was not worried; my copy of LC is a very used ex-library copy, with stains, tape marks and anything else you can think of - if he'd thrown the Oreo my way, I would've snapped it up in the book and returned it to his mother. But with MB, I'll have to be a bit more protective. Still, my train riding experience has shown damp foodstuffs in small hands to be the exception rather than the rule, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
    I'm still reading my giant white Moby Dick, and last night, the mother sat down next to me and pulled the stroller in front of both of us. No Oreos this time, but at least two containers of cookies were employed, as well as one drink (and why is train time meal time?). So, I thought: do I stash the book? Maybe I'm worried about nothing - but by the time the cookie flies, it will be too late to take action. Well, my general tendency toward inertia held, I did nothing, and nothing happened. But still...my luck. If I see the kid again, I think I'll have to take the universe's hint and tuck the book away. Stay tuned...
    Your white Moby Dick /Train saga is great to read.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    I can’t imagine how the original could be better. One of the best parts was the Trashcan Man and The Kid storyline. For me at least.
    Sometimes less is more.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    I can’t imagine how the original could be better. One of the best parts was the Trashcan Man and The Kid storyline. For me at least.
    Sometimes less is more.
    Fair point. It’ll be a while before I read it again, but I’m definitely going to read the original next time.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

What's the verdict on Full Dark, No Stars? I'm about to start that for the very first time, and have no idea what I'm getting into. I have a Stephen King book club at work, and for whatever reason everyone was adamant for this one

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really liked it, very much so. The book includes four short novellas, focusing on the darker side of human nature. Plenty of opportunity for some lively discussions!

sk

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Agreed, it's a great collection and definitely a good pick for a bookclub.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Love FDNS.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    What's the verdict on Full Dark, No Stars? I'm about to start that for the very first time, and have no idea what I'm getting into. I have a Stephen King book club at work, and for whatever reason everyone was adamant for this one
    I think you broke the first rule of Book Club.....
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    I think you broke the first rule of Book Club.....

Thanks for the insight guys! So far, I've yet to read a book by King that I didn't enjoy, but I wasn't too keen to start FDNS. Almost done with 1922 now and I gotta say I'm enjoying it way more than I thought. Hopefully the other stories are just as good as 1922, and of course my first objective after finishing, is to check out the Netflix exclusive movie they did

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Salt Water Tears by Brian A. Hopkins.

So far so good. I have read 3 of the stories so far and 66.6% of those have been very good.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Finished Goblin by Josh Malerman. Really enjoyed it. It was a fun refreshing break from the other book I'm reading.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Finished Goblin by Josh Malerman. Really enjoyed it. It was a fun refreshing break from the other book I'm reading.
    Is "other book" The Stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Yes We had our book club discussion on the first half last night, and everyone else agreed that it was a pretty slow start but that it should be picking up soon. Which hopefully it does because I really have no desire to keep reading it. I hate to say that because it's considered one of his great books I might see if I can get a hold of the audio version and finish it that way, because I have a pile of book that I'm dying to read and this one is just holding me back.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ugh! You ladies are killin' me! The Stand is my favorite book of all time!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes We had our book club discussion on the first half last night, and everyone else agreed that it was a pretty slow start but that it should be picking up soon. Which hopefully it does because I really have no desire to keep reading it. I hate to say that because it's considered one of his great books I might see if I can get a hold of the audio version and finish it that way, because I have a pile of book that I'm dying to read and this one is just holding me back.
    Have you read Sleeping Beauties? If you think The Stand is slow, do not put yourself through the torture of that doorstop.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Have you read Sleeping Beauties? If you think The Stand is slow, do not put yourself through the torture of that doorstop.
    Luckily I listened to the audio book of Sleeping Beauties. I first attempted to read it, but knew quickly that wouldn't be wise
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

1stly the Stand yes is a slow start but it's my favorite King book. it takes awhile before they all find each other. i was on you tube recently and they said King had Retired and i looked it up online and i didn't see jack shit about anything recently that he said. only him saying that 5 years ago and that it said Doctor Sleep was going to be his last book. having said that i'm reading Pet Sematary and i posted in that section about it but i'm on Chapter #45 page 281 and i've only got #98 pages left in it.

a thought did it occur to me though is Ellie Psychic? or does she have the Shine Like Danny Torrence? if so why didn't she get put on Doctor Sleep? cause she knew what was going on and well dreamt it i mean. and more than once in the book too. i haven't started Sleeping Beauties yet. i looked up on how many books of King i have read and the number was smaller than i thought it would be it was only not counting Pet Sematary that i'm not done with that will when i'm done with it make it only #26. but if ya count the green mile single books that came out back in the day. it would make it #33. does anyone count that as a single book or 6 of them?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    1stly the Stand yes is a slow start but it's my favorite King book. it takes awhile before they all find each other. i was on you tube recently and they said King had Retired and i looked it up online and i didn't see jack shit about anything recently that he said. only him saying that 5 years ago and that it said Doctor Sleep was going to be his last book. having said that i'm reading Pet Sematary and i posted in that section about it but i'm on Chapter #45 page 281 and i've only got #98 pages left in it.

a thought did it occur to me though is Ellie Psychic? or does she have the Shine Like Danny Torrence? if so why didn't she get put on Doctor Sleep? cause she knew what was going on and well dreamt it i mean. and more than once in the book too. i haven't started Sleeping Beauties yet. i looked up on how many books of King i have read and the number was smaller than i thought it would be it was only not counting Pet Sematary that i'm not done with that will when i'm done with it make it only #26. but if ya count the green mile single books that came out back in the day. it would make it #33. does anyone count that as a single book or 6 of them?
    That's the impression I got with Ellie, that she's psychic, which I thought was a fun little twist. As for not running into Danny Torrance, I guess we could chalk that up to them just being on different levels of the tower.

Poor Sleeping Beauties. I know it's not a favorite on here, but it's by no means awful. I definitely have my gripes with the book, but overall I still enjoyed the story, and feel it's atleast worth a fair shake

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay. I enjoyed it. It was an easy read with interesting twists.

I'm now reading This Book Is Full Of Spiders by David Wong. If you liked John Dies At The End then you'll like this.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

you know what's really funny that i didn't expect? i've now got #80 pages left in this book, Chapter #49 page #294 i had to stop cause i'm gonna hope in the shower and i need a break for a bit from the book. i'm where Rachel just got her airplane ticket back to Maine. what's funny is that so far since the horror section is right now at a slow build up and it's coming faster and faster bit by bit. so far I actually prefer the movie over the book i dunno why yet. this so far has been one of those rare times where i actually prefer the movie. there are King movies that i prefer the movie over, Thinner is one cause i never liked the ending of Thinner but i love the ending of the film. great book too i've read it more than once, Carrie is another one where i thought that book is medicore and still do yet i love the (1976) film. Shawshank i thought the film was better though i do love the story. i loved the ending of the story but i loved the ending of the film more cause Red finds his way back to Andy. where in the story he's on his way there.

maybe the green mile too but than that's one i haven't read in years and though i have the film on dvd i will get it on blu-ray i haven't watched it since i bought it. not yet anyways. i think there may be others but i'm not sure yet. i need to look at his filmography again to make sure if i missed any. i'm going by films of the books or short story's i have read of course

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Starting “Slippage: Previously Uncollected, Precariously Poised Stories” by Harlan Ellison. Admittedly I’ve never read anything by him before, but with all the posts here and on Facebook about his death, I must be missing out on some great reading.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Finished Moby Dick a few days ago. A very good book that is part character study, part adventure, and part (a big part) education on whales and whaling (which, no doubt, many of you already know). And again, loved the edition I had. (Also, cookie boy made no further appearances; the book returned to the shelf unharmed.)
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Today I began All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, which my daughter has been begging me to read. 25 pages in, so far, so good.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I started The Exorcist for the first time a few weeks ago. I am really struggling to like it. It's a fun read but there seems to be a lot of fluff that doesn't need to be there.
    I almost wish it was a pulp horror of no character development, just good old fashion creep factor.

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    I started The Exorcist for the first time a few weeks ago. I am really struggling to like it. It's a fun read but there seems to be a lot of fluff that doesn't need to be there.
    I almost wish it was a pulp horror of no character development, just good old fashion creep factor.
    Oh that’s a bummer. It’s coming up soon for me and I was looking forward to being scared senseless. Will you let me know if it’s as scary as people say?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 643 of 713 FirstFirst ... 143 543 593 633 641 642 643 644 645 653 693 ... LastLast