Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Road to the 2010-2011 Oscars !

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Road to the 2010-2011 Oscars !

We've just entered the last 4th of the year, you know what that means ! Another Oscars thread !

What have you heard ? Which actors and actresses are being stamped as favorites to take hardware home this year ? Which film would you like to see nominated/win ?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

All the buzz now seems to be over The Social Network.

Love Oscar season, just love it !!

Thanks for starting the thread, Feev!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

No worries me loves

Yeah, TSN has definitely picked up a lot of steam lately.

I'd like to see Inception nominated too, I think between The Dark Knight and Inception, Nolan is due for an Oscar nod.

My Mood
    Gay

I think Inception is a lock for a nomination, without a doubt.

Director and editing, for sure. Maybe even Best Picture.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

What about Leo DiCap ? Between Shutter Island and Inception, I'd say he's also due for an Oscar nod this year !

I haven't really heard any noise in the Best Actress category .... you ?

My Mood
    Gay

I've read and heard nothing about the Best Actress category beyond nods for both Annette Bening and Julianne Moore for The Kids Are All Right. And maybe a nod for Lisa Cholodenko as director.

I'm not a DiCaprio fan, but you never know - the Academy likes him. Of course, that's the dreaded one film cancels out the other kind of deal. Wasn't he nominated for Blood Diamond the same year as something else and therefore lost both?

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

My picks for the years best movies so far this year are:

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON (3D)
    ROBIN HOOD
    INCEPTION
    DESPICABLE ME (3D OR 2D, seen 'em both)
    THE AMERICAN
    SALT
    THE WOLFMAN
    THE JONESES
    TOY STORY 3
    JONAH HEX (except for the last 10 minutes)
    THE TOWN
    LET ME IN

And I thought VAMPIRE'S SUCK was kind of funny though I doubt it will be one of the 10 best picture nominees.

These are in no particular order, but if I had to choose a number 1, it would be INCEPTION hands down.

These picks are taken from 92 movies attended so far this year, so you see I haven't been very impressed yet. (I especially wasn't impressed by THE SOCIAL NETWORK)

I also very much enjoyed RESIDENT EVIL AFTERLIFE in glorious 3D!
    Last edited by ur2ndbiggestfan; 10-07-2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Added some stuff
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yay, I've been looking forward to this thread.

I think films like Inception, The Town and The Social Network will be well represented at the Oscars. I'm also hearing good things about the upcoming Western remake by the Cohen Brothers, True Grit.

There are sure to be many other films that will pop up on our radar as the year goes on.

As far as best actress is concerned, I've heard good things about an actress named Jennifer Lawrence in a film called Winter's Bone. I'm also hearing good things from Natalie Portman in Black Swan and Nicole Kidman in Rabbit Hole.

Can't wait for the season to heat up.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Winter's Bone is really popular amongst the underground circles. I want to watch it but Netflix doesn't have it available yet ... :/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Machete for Best Picture!!!!!!!

Are they doing ten best picture nominees yet?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

MACHETE was good, but I thought it sort of became too 'talky' in the last half. Enjoyable though!

WINTER'S BONE had good acting, but I didn't find it totally engrossing, although it's a step above many other pictures this year.

5 new movies opening tomorrow! I'm off to the races and hope I don't get BURIED in the crowd!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

My Mood
    Gay

My guess would be Inception as a lock for a Best Picture nomination. Also, Social Network.

I would really love to see The Town get some recognition, too.

Yeah, as far as I know, AMPAS is staying with that god-awful, disgrace to films, 10 Best Picture nomination thing. Bahstids.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Winter's Bone is really popular amongst the underground circles. I want to watch it but Netflix doesn't have it available yet ... :/
    Winter's Bone opened at a theater near where I live. I'm still kicking myself for not get down there to see it. I also wanted to see Animal Kingdom that opened near me too, but I didn't get there either.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here. I didn't pay much attention to it while it was in theaters, and now I hate myself for not having watched it.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Uh, I saw a trailer today for a movie coming out soon that looks like it might get the attn. of the Oscar people. I can't remember the title for the life of me though. It was something about stories of 5 different kids getting college education. Sound familiar to anyone?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I would really love to see The Town get some recognition, too.
    As would I!
    I'd also like to see Inception get some nominations, as well as Leo (although not for Inception but for Shutter Island).
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Saw BURIED today. Ryan Reynolds was pretty good. Maybe he'll get a best actor nomination.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm so jealous! My local theater isn't playing it. I might have to go to the ghetto one.

I'd love to see a mini-review in the Rate thread.

Oh, and the movie I mentioned upthread is called Waiting for Superman.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I'm so jealous! My local theater isn't playing it. I might have to go to the ghetto one.

I'd love to see a mini-review in the Rate thread.

Oh, and the movie I mentioned upthread is called Waiting for Superman.
    I thought that was the movie you were talking about, but I forgot to post it

I've been looking forward to that film for a while. It's gotten some amazing reviews, but I've never seen a documentary in a theater. I guess I will have to wait for it to come out on DVD.

Besides, I don't think it will open around me anyway.

I have backed off from 'reviewing' films because it seems to cause too much distress. All I'll indicate from now on is if I liked a movie or not. I liked BURIED and thought Ryan did an excellent job in his role.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw The Social Network last night, and I have to say that I'll be very surprised if the film and the creative team behind it doesn't receive several Oscar Nods come Oscar season.

Possible Oscar nods

Best Film - TSN
    Best Director - Fincher
    Best Actor - Jesse Eisenberg
    Best Adapted Screenplay - Sorkin

My Mood
    Gay

Academy says no big change for 2012 Oscar date

.BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. – The 2012 Oscars will not be weeks earlier than usual, as had been speculated — a move that would have upended Hollywood's crowded awards season.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said in a statement late Wednesday that its Board of Governors had determined the date of the 84th Academy Awards "will not be significantly earlier than the now-traditional last Sunday in February."

But the statement left open the possibility of an earlier Oscar date in subsequent years, saying "the Academy's staff and Board will continue to evaluate the advantages and challenges associated with such a change."

The exact date of the 2012 Oscar ceremony has yet to be chosen. The 2011 Academy Awards show is set for Sunday, Feb. 27, at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles.

My Mood
    Gay

From Yahoo Movies! - regarding the Best Actress category!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hollywood's Oscar race is only about six weeks old, but already one theme is emerging: unlike most years when men dominate the critical buzz for strong roles, this season women are the talk of the town.

From previous Oscar winners such as Nicole Kidman and big stars like Annette Bening to newcomers such as Jennifer Lawrence, women are tearing it up on the big screen. Some Oscar watchers see as many as 15 possible contenders for five best actress nominations.

The experts cite several reasons for what may be dubbed "The Year of the Actress" at Oscar time in February. Chief among them is that many of the strong female stories are making it onto film because the women themselves have greater clout to get their pet film projects made.

"Not only are women taking center stage, they are dominating the stage entirely," said Tom O'Neil, awards expert for TheEnvelope.com.

The Oscars, of course, are the world's top film honors, and pundits begin handicapping the awards categories, based on screenings at film festivals in Venice, Telluride and Toronto, which generally begin in late August and early September.

Most years when it comes time for some 6,000 voters at the Beverly Hills-based Academy of Arts and Sciences to pick winners, Academy watchers have a difficult time narrowing down the best actor category because generally three or four, if not all five nominees have turned in strong performances.

Best actress, however, typically narrows more easily because often times there is just one or two favorites. Last year, for instance, Sandra Bullock faced very little competition when she picked up the statuette for her role in football film, "The Blind Side."

"Normally with the actress race, you scramble to find three good ones," said Pete Hammond, awards columnist with Deadline Hollywood. "You're looking at women who may not even get nominated this year, while in a lesser year they may have very well won."

A variety of themes in movies are giving numerous women a shot. Notions of what a family truly means dominate comedy "The Kids Are All Right," which has Bening and Julianne Moore playing a lesbian couple raising a pair of teens.

Briton Sally Hawkins portrays a "Norma Rae"-type factory worker with a mission to get women equal pay in "Made in Dagenham," and Natalie Portman won raves at September's Venice film festival playing a vengeful ballerina in director Darren Aronofsky's "Black Swan."

INDEPENDENT WOMEN

Kidman is a grieving mother whose young son dies accidentally in "Rabbit Hole," and Michelle Williams is a woman who wants out of her marriage in "My Blue Valentine." Lawrence is turning heads as a teen left alone to fend for her younger siblings in drug drama "Winter's Bone."

And the list goes on: Anne Hathaway ("Love and Other Drugs"), Lesley Manville ("Another Year"), Gwyneth Paltrow ("Country Strong") and Naomi Watts ("Fair Game").

Making the 2010 best actress race even more interesting is that many of the roles are being judged independently from their male counterparts, said O'Neil.

That phenomenon contrast to recent wins by actresses such as Reese Witherspoon, who took home an Oscar for playing June Carter to Joaquin Phoenix's Johnny Cash in "Walk the Line" (2005) or Hilary Swank, who played a boxer in "Million Dollar Baby" (2004) opposite Clint Eastwood as her coach.

Hammond pointed out that many of the roles come out of movies made independently from Hollywood's big studios and the actresses have been instrumental in finding funding.

Moore, for example, championed "Kids are All Right" for five years while its makers looked for financing and was instrumental in bringing actor Mark Ruffalo on board.

Kidman read a review of the stage play "Rabbit Hole," which prompted her to pursue the project as a film adaptation. She became a producer and personally enlisted Aaron Eckhart to play her husband.

"They're getting these passion projects made that would otherwise never see the light of day," said Hammond.

So this year, when Oscar nominations open up, the Academy will have plenty of women to choose from, and the big question won't be, "who is in?" Rather, it will be "who is out?"

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Apparently Colin Firth is a heavy favorite to receive an Oscar nod due to his turn in The King's Speech. Has anyone seen this film yet ?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Conviction has Oscar written all over it.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast