Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DT Questionnaire *Spoilers*

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Agreed on the first part. It's a slippery slope, and the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Also agreed on the Blaine technology representation.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

dear friends,

please do not forget that this thread is not really intended to contain in-depth discussion. There are a lot of standing threads where various aspects of the DT have been discussed for years, please try to redirect any budding discussion to where it belongs

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm late like the The White Rabbit so I'll do both

Protagonist-My favorite protagonist is Eddie Dean.My first reason is the way we meet Eddie which is some intense page turning reading.This is where we got our first taste of the doors and how they work(dejavu from Dreamcatcher but better) and I think the way that it was written and how Sai King conveyed this idea was incredible.The dialog between Eddie and Roland is a good prelude into their relationship and indicates some strong personality traits.My second reason is that that Eddie truly is a good person that has taken a few wrong turns in his life but ultimately faces his demons,learns fom his mistakes and ultimately grows as a person and at the same time gets back to his core character when he was young and not jaded from a turbulent life.I can realate too his journey.Third reason is the reason we all love Eddie.He is the type of person who is just a naturally funny person.He doesn't have to try at it or force it,it is just part of his character.He is witty and his play on words to achieve comedy are just so fucking good.Every Ka-tet needs an Eddie Dean to give balance,it helps strengthen the bond and he gives crucial comic relief not only to the Tet but also to the constant reader.
    I have to think about my favorite antagonist because there are many in this tale and alot of them are just pure evil so I grew to really dislike a bunch of them over the coarse of our journey.

Games Mistress Lisey Landon is on a distinguished road Lisey Landon's Avatar

My Mood
    Bitchy

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    dear friends,

please do not forget that this thread is not really intended to contain in-depth discussion. There are a lot of standing threads where various aspects of the DT have been discussed for years, please try to redirect any budding discussion to where it belongs

Very true, although I hoped that these questions would reignite interest in those of us who have reread many times and don't visit Gilead so often, aswell as being a starting point for new members. So, whilst the overall aim is to generate discussion in existing threads, I wouldn't want people to feel they could only answer the questions in here and not comment on others

3. Favourite original ka-tet member and why.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It wasn't made with that intention in mind, but I'm glad to see this is what became of it. Reading all of the discussion here is the primary reason I'm so desperate to begin my series re-read. I say let everyone discuss the questions in depth to their hearts content.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lisey Landon View Post
    I have to go with Cuthbert. He's essentially the original version of Eddie, and he is my favorite of the entire series.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I think ... Cuthbert. For exactly the reason alkanto said!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Same thing here - Cuthbert!
    Not because of being Eddie's precursor. I just like him. Nothing beats quick wits.

Oh, and I had a totally Cuthbertian moment last week.
    From our Scotland travels DH and I brought a bottle of whisky, to do a bit of whisky-tasting with select coworkers
    So there we sit, being pelted with a multitude of questions, and finally someone asks about Loch Ness. DH is a good and engaging story-teller, but remembering numbers, names, etc. is definitely not his forte. I, on the other hand, have a tendency to remember odd facts.
    DH starts telling the guys how we had visited that specific place where there are ruins of that old castle… This is precisely where I butt in with the name: “Urquhart”.
    Next, DH begins describing Loch Ness itself, how it is not too wide but at the same time stretches for more than 30 kilometers… “38”, I say, and then shut promptly up because I’m stricken with a vivid mental picture of a certain DT4 moment.
    Remember how after getting a message from home, Bert and Alain tell Roland that they saw oxen at a certain ranch (Rocking H)? Same dialog structure
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Alain, because he's more like Jake, who I might possibly love more than Eddie.

Direction to more on the Day 1 question: The big question now and forever: Who is your favourite from the Ka-Tet?

Direction to more on the Day 2 question: Favourite DT Villain

Direction to more on the tangent regarding what may have motivated Farson: Gunslingers - discussion of their roles, social positions and functions

Direction to another fun questionnaire: DT Character Questionnaire *spoilers*

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan79 View Post

Protagonist-My favorite protagonist is Eddie Dean.My first reason is the way we meet Eddie which is some intense page turning reading.This is where we got our first taste of the doors and how they work(dejavu from Dreamcatcher but better) and I think the way that it was written and how Sai King conveyed this idea was incredible.The dialog between Eddie and Roland is a good prelude into their relationship and indicates some strong personality traits.My second reason is that that Eddie truly is a good person that has taken a few wrong turns in his life but ultimately faces his demons,learns fom his mistakes and ultimately grows as a person and at the same time gets back to his core character when he was young and not jaded from a turbulent life.I can realate too his journey.Third reason is the reason we all love Eddie.He is the type of person who is just a naturally funny person.He doesn't have to try at it or force it,it is just part of his character.He is witty and his play on words to achieve comedy are just so fucking good.Every Ka-tet needs an Eddie Dean to give balance,it helps strengthen the bond and he gives crucial comic relief not only to the Tet but also to the constant reader.
    I have to think about my favorite antagonist because there are many in this tale and alot of them are just pure evil so I grew to really dislike a bunch of them over the coarse of our journey.
    I love you Ruki.

That was an awesome stream of consciousness type read.

dear friends,

Very true, although I hoped that these questions would reignite interest in those of us who have reread many times and don't visit Gilead so often, aswell as being a starting point for new members. So, whilst the overall aim is to generate discussion in existing threads, I wouldn't want people to feel they could only answer the questions in here and not comment on others

Ok,

Answer is Cuthbert, same reasons as the first time around. Gotta love him.

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    I have to go with Cuthbert. He's essentially the original version of Eddie, and he is my favorite of the entire series.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post

I think ... Cuthbert. For exactly the reason alkanto said!

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    Same thing here - Cuthbert!
    Not because of being Eddie's precursor. I just like him. Nothing beats quick wits.

Oh, and I had a totally Cuthbertian moment last week.
    From our Scotland travels DH and I brought a bottle of whisky, to do a bit of whisky-tasting with select coworkers
    So there we sit, being pelted with a multitude of questions, and finally someone asks about Loch Ness. DH is a good and engaging story-teller, but remembering numbers, names, etc. is definitely not his forte. I, on the other hand, have a tendency to remember odd facts.
    DH starts telling the guys how we had visited that specific place where there are ruins of that old castle… This is precisely where I butt in with the name: “Urquhart”.
    Next, DH begins describing Loch Ness itself, how it is not too wide but at the same time stretches for more than 30 kilometers… “38”, I say, and then shut promptly up because I’m stricken with a vivid mental picture of a certain DT4 moment.
    Remember how after getting a message from home, Bert and Alain tell Roland that they saw oxen at a certain ranch (Rocking H)? Same dialog structure
    You rock too!
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Alain, because he's more like Jake, who I might possibly love more than Eddie.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

I came in late, but I wanna play too!

Favorite protagonist: Eddie, because I'm in love with him. Like if his character was based on a real person, I'd find him and force him to marry me.

Favorite antagonist: Rhea of the Coos. That is one evil bitch. Nuff said.
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't decide on favorite(most hated) antogonist but I'll pick one for the sake of the thread.I'm going with Eldred Jonas.He was just a straight up dickhead and represents a type of guy I really dislike,just a pissed off lowlife that lost sight of the White along time ago.I see him a a smart guy but some very intelligent men have proven to be the epitamy of evil over the coarse of history.There's no doubt in my mind that before he ran into Roland,Cuthbert and Alain he killed alot of good people since his days of being a gunslinger and that type of chracter just doesn't sit well with me.He made a concious choice to be evil.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

[quote=Jon Snow;554863]
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan79 View Post

I love you Ruki.

That was an awesome stream of consciousness type read.

Thanks I think.... but you can keep the kisses dude.I think the were intended for Ruki.

My Mood
    Breezy

Damn! I didn't even read your name, I'm used to seeing that avatar, or a very similar looking one, for Ruki, and when I saw that I swear to G that I thought it was her. sorry!

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah don't be sorry.I think you were giving me a compliment and I'll take one of those any day.just not a man kiss
    Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower.

My Mood
    Breezy

Aw, come on now, you likeded it!

I was giving you a compliment, I really did like your explanation for why Eddie rocks. I like Eddie lots more than everyone else in the Ka-tet, but Cuthbert is still my favorite.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Favourite protagonist of the series and why.

Roland. Hands down. And why? As someone else said, he's so complex. He has so many layers. He's a leader, he's strong, he's weak. And I loved seeing his progression through the series.

Favourite anatgonist and why.

Probably Rhea of the Coos. I hated her so much. That, to me, makes the best antagonist. The one who can make me cringe when I read her parts in the book.

Cuthbert. I liked that he had a sense of humor and wasn't afraid to speak his mind when appropriate or not.
    Plus, he named his horse "Glue Boy". That's one of the coolest things in the whole series.

My Mood
    Bitchy

Thank you for the links, Path

4. Favourite creature/beast/hybrid.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I know everyone is going to say this, but OY!!!

I love Oy! What I would do to get my hands on a billybumbler....I'm a sucker for dogs anyways, and the fact that Oy is (kind of) one - but talks!
    Let's just say he comes in at a close second to Eddie for my favorite character of the series!

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

Favorite original ka-tet member: Cuthbert. I loved him in WaG, because I get so mad at Roland in his love sick blindness and Cuthbert was the same. He saw through all Roland's so-called choices to the true reason why he wanted to stay in Mejis. AND he called him out on it, which would take major cajones.

Favorite creature/beast/hybrid: OY! He's just so dang cute.
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyns_rainbow View Post
    He saw through all Roland's so-called choices to the true reason why he wanted to stay in Mejis. AND he called him out on it, which would take major cajones.
    EXACTLY!

To stand up to your alpha (which is what Roland was, really) and do it knowing you're probably going to get a serious ass whipping, takes real courage. Cuthbert rocks.

My Mood
    Breezy

is there any besides Oy? I can't think of any, and besides, Oy does rock.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    He saw through all Roland's so-called choices to the true reason why he wanted to stay in Mejis. AND he called him out on it, which would take major cajones.
    EXACTLY!

To stand up to your alpha (which is what Roland was, really) and do it knowing you're probably going to get a serious ass whipping, takes real courage. Cuthbert rocks.

To answer the question: Oy.
    But I also keep remembering those white mutie bees that the ka-tet saw on their way to Lud. They are a good example of random detail that makes the narration creepy. I totally have shivers running up and down my spine when I imagine them.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Favorite protagonist: Eddie, because I'm in love with him. Like if his character was based on a real person, I'd find him and force him to marry me.
    But Stephen King is already married. lol

ETA --
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    is there any besides Oy? I can't think of any, and besides, Oy does rock.
    Aside from Billy Bumblers, the best are probably the can-toi (Low Men) I found them much more interesting than the Taheen.
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 10-08-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: eta

My Mood
    Bitchy

5. Favourite place, from all worlds/levels of the Tower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast