Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quentin Tarantino

17 47.22%
  • Christopher Nolan

19 52.78%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Quarter Finals - Tarantino vs Nolan

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Dammit, now we're losing by two ... :/

More Nolan votes folks !

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know what to do...I think Tarantino was such an innovator, but I just watched Memento and Batman Begins and I really like Nolan's subtlety in the former and his humanity in the latter...

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Nolan is great. I just haven't seen enough by him to agreee he's better than Tarantino.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

brb, shipping my entire Nolan collection to Brice

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

*waiting*

I suspect you cutting off an arm and sending that is more likely.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Nolan is great. I just haven't seen enough by him to agreee he's better than Tarantino.
    maybe next year you'll be able to make the right choice

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pehaps if he puts out several more movies between now and then.

If you rescue me

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm with Brice, except that I've seen all of Nolan's films with the exception of Insomnia. And while I agree that he's a really great director, he just doesn't even come close to Tarantino in my opinion.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

this I can agree with

not even close

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'm with Brice, except that I've seen all of Nolan's films with the exception of Insomnia. And while I agree that he's a really great director, he just doesn't even come close to Tarantino in my opinion.

Tarantino.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Close to Tarantino in what regard ? Nolan is a much better story teller, and a much more versatile visual artist than Tarantino, IMHO.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Nolan. Nolan. Nolan.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Nolan. Nolan. Nolan.
    . . .

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I went with Tarantino, for the impact his films had on cinema.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    YAY

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Nolan is a better director than Tarantino could ever be. Tarantino is amongst the best screenwriters of all time, however.
    Oh, please!
    You mean legitimizing old junk and lowering the bar on content?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    maybe next year you'll be able to make the right choice
    Pehaps if he puts out several more movies between now and then.
    Do what?

Nolan feauture directing credits:
    Seven:

1. Following
    2. Memento
    3. Insomnia
    4. Batman Begins
    5. The Prestige
    6. The Dark Knight
    7. Inception

Tarantino feauture directing credits:
    About Six and a Half:

1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    2¼. Four Rooms
    3¼. Jackie Brown
    4¾. Kill Bill
    4⅞. Sin City
    5⅜. Death Proof
    6¼. Inglourious Basterds

(Not that I'm wishing that QT had been more productive.)

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh no. I've just heard something horrible! Tarantino has just stated that he's not making any more films as a cause of the overwhelming cross-country Nolan love!

Source: secret.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Oh, please!
    Tarantino is far too formulaic. Toss in an underworld element, some cool dialogue, hip music and non-linear story-telling. If it wasn't for his awesome dialogue he wouldn't be nearly as famous as he is. Think of Pulp Fiction without his dialogue.

Inglorious Basterds is the only movie I truly give him a lot of credit for his directing.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    You mean legitimizing old junk and lowering the bar on content?

I saw Pulp Fiction at the cinema three times - I don't do that sort of thing generally but I was asked to go with different groups of friends each time and it had intrigued me so much, (that switching between story pov was very unheard of then remember) that I was happy to watch it again.

He was just such a breath of fresh air to cinema at that point in time and started a whole new genre, I think he deserves credit for that.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I would love to see Tarantino make a movie without switching timelines, characters or implementing chapters like in Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds. Is it so hard Quentin?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He was just such a breath of fresh air to cinema at that point in time and started a whole new genre, I think he deserves credit for that.
    Uh-oh. I used that phrase in regard to Nolan and Pam didn't like that very much. Be careful!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I would love to see Tarantino make a movie without switching timelines, characters or implementing chapters like in Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds. Is it so hard Quentin?
    You have a better chance of asking Nolan to make a film that doesn't take itself too seriously

Country
    Country Flag

grrrr Tarantino is leading now

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    You have a better chance of asking Nolan to make a film that doesn't take itself too seriously
    I've always felt Nolan is great at using intermitent humour. Like in Memento..."Who is this guy? I guess I'm chasing him." *gunshot* "No, he's chasing me." Nolan's unseriousness just comes through the characters usually instead of the visuals, where most unseriousness shows through a la Machete or Kill Bill.

Nolan...another superior director losing to who is cooler. :'(

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think it's a case of who's cooler - I have probably have ten years plus on you age wise, so to me Nolan is the cooler or more hipster choice. I just have the benefit of experiencing Tarantino at his debut into the directing world because of my age and that's what sways me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast