Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher Nolan

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Christopher Nolan

This thread is for discussion on the wonderful film making wizard that is Christopher Nolan and his amazing films.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You know, I could've sworn we had a Nolan thread (maybe I'm getting it confused with TDK thread). Otherwse, I'd have made one. Glad there's a space for it now though!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I usually just made threads for his movies as they were released in theaters, but there's enough of us Nolan lovers now so I figured he needed his own thread

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Darn right he does!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I had to wait for DVD for Inception, plans to see it kept falling through due to scheduling. We were going to go one afternoon then my friend got a job interview and we never made plans again. Oh well, it'll be on DVD for end of November I am sure.

I've yet to see The Prestige as well.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've seen all of Nolan's work. The man is good.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

How about we start this thread off by everyone ranking the Nolan films they've seen ? I'll start us off :

7. Insomnia
    6. Following
    5. Batman Begins
    4. Memento
    3. The Prestige
    2. Inception
    1. The Dark Knight

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

now that I think of it, I understand more clearly why I didn't like Memento: it lacked development. I fully realized that it was intended, but two hours of the same stuff all over again, with only my brain working - while my heart and soul were not given anything other than they had been offered during the first fifteen minutes - was way too long for me. It felt like an experiment, kind of a lab work; very good, but not enough for a movie, it takes a lot more to satisfy a bear.

The Prestige, on the other hand, is thoroughly satisfying. I expect it to feel much better on next viewings, because the irritating charade component will be, thank God, reduced to zero. It is, as has been stated elsewhere, beautifully crafted, and I love it in a movie. More important, it is a story of a soul, of a life wasted, and in that it doesn't hesitate to play it rough with my emotions; it is subtle and raw at the same time, and this is what I can't help but admire.

3. Memento
    2. Following
    1. The Prestige

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

7. Insomnia
    6. Batman Begins
    5. Following
    4. Memento
    3. The Dark Knight
    2. The Prestige
    1. Inception
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought he had done more films than he has for some reason? it just seemed like he was everywhere at one point? strange

the only one i have not watched is the Following, so i can't rate that one unfortunatley

6. Insomia
    5. Memento
    4. Dark Knight
    3. the Prestige
    2. Inception
    1. Batman Begins

To be fair though, i didn't like rating them as i love them all in different way, strange how they are all different - but have similarities.

I love Batman Begins for its explanations and how things start. I love Inception for its vision and its intricate story line.
    I love the prestige for its complexity and its beautiful arc.

i could go on, but you catch my drift?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, we do, but I still think you should go on. I love reading people's opinions about movies. Especially my friends' opinions.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yep, do go on, candy. I'm exactly the same when it comes to films Jean, I love reading friends opinions on them, whether we agree or not. Unless they're making an opinion that they haven't seen, that i'm not very tolerant towards, admittedly.

You'd probably enjoy reading my opinions on Edgar Wright films Jean, even if you haven't seen any of them: I'm such a big fan of his work that my recent mostly spoiler free reviews on nearly all his films (I've yet to see A Fistful of Fingers) were massive. God help me if ever I review all 14 episodes of Spaced, it would probably be Lord of the Rings length!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen many, but I like them all!

1. The Prestige
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Batman Begins
    4. Momento

Country
    Country Flag

As of right now (it could very well change the next time I do a re-watch ):

1. The Dark Knight
    2. The Prestige
    3. Inception
    4. Batman Begins
    5. Following

Still need to see Memento and Insomnia. The latter I'm less concerned about.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Insomnia isn't anything spectacular - it's a very by-the-numbers mystery thriller, but it's still a fairly decent film.

Also, only Nolan could have both Pacino and Williams in a film together and persuade them to ground their performance as much as possible and keep them from going off the rails as they usually do

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    now that I think of it, I understand more clearly why I didn't like Memento: it lacked development. I fully realized that it was intended, but two hours of the same stuff all over again, with only my brain working - while my heart and soul were not given anything other than they had been offered during the first fifteen minutes - was way too long for me. It felt like an experiment, kind of a lab work; very good, but not enough for a movie, it takes a lot more to satisfy a bear.
    It’s a departure from narrative tradition, yes. It would have meant more from an established director, I imagine: It could have been more polished, and I have a theory that it feels even more like an experiment as it is, in contrast mainly to the work of others, than it would have been if it were plain experimentation from one with a larger body of his own.
    For me, at least, the film did raise a lot of emotions, though; it’s just that, with the plot obscured, I could never trust any of those feelings. Isn’t that interesting? I rather fancy that facing doubt can also be good for soul.
    Of course, I’d probably feel differently about Nolan if he’d gone on to show no interest in conventional drama or no aptitude for exploring the normal human condition, but I still appreciate an occasional stretching of the medium.

As for The Prestige, I don't feel entirely qualified to criticize the story because I still haven't read the book, but I really did not find the film thoroughly satisfying. Good, yes. It just didn't mean that much to me.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you seen Nolan's Batman films, Path ? If so, what did you think of them ?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't you remember my ginormous first post on the Dark Knight's thread?

I was seriously biased against Batman Begins but I liked it anyway. Nonetheless, I still was also very biased against The Dark Knight... but I loved it.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

5. Batman Begins
    4. The Prestige
    3. The Dark Knight
    2. Memento
    1. Inception

Genius=Nolan

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting order, Shizzie. Do you feel that Memento is a better movie than TDK, or do you just like it better ?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have just seen Memento for the very first time and thought it was genius! Guy Pearce is seriously great, and fortunately and quite unusually considering the time it's been out, it hadn't been spoiled for me in any way. I didn't really know what the film was about or anything, so it was perfect.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd like to say a little more about it if you're interested. Perhaps a Memento spoiler thread?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmm .... sure, as long as you know that it will most likely end up getting merged back here though at some point throughout the course of our lives.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, then I guess we should just post here with spoiler tags. I mean *I* don't care... just trying to be sensitive.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Please do, I'm intrigued now!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast