Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher Nolan

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    My question: what did they all do for food? Even if they were able to locate a new planet, shouldn't that planet already have food and resources there to sustain the population?
    I'm assuming they had some kind of food supplement that is high in nutrients, but doesn't take up a lot of space and will also last a long time. Just a guess.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That was a pretty good article. It's somewhat in line with what I've been seeing, although I will say that I've seen a few experts that say some of the science in Interstellar is pretty sound. In fact, Neil Degrasse Tyson called it the most accurate depiction of space he's ever seen in a film.

Interstellar is ripe for nitpicking and I get it. I myself can fall into nitpicking for films, but I can turn it off as well. I do know some people that are impossible to watch movies with because they are constantly looking for holes instead of just watching the movie and trying to enjoy it.

My sister does this all the time. She will say something like, "Why would she put the drink down right there? That doesn't make sense. Her character would use a coaster, she would never put a cold drink down on glass without using a coaster." That's just an example, but you get my point. Every film has moments in them that can be nitpicked, but for Interstellar I went in just trying to have the best time possible and didn't want to burden myself with such thoughts.

Often times I'm of the opinion that what some people would call a plot hole, I call creative license.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    That was a pretty good article. It's somewhat in line with what I've been seeing, although I will say that I've seen a few experts that say some of the science in Interstellar is pretty sound. In fact, Neil Degrasse Tyson called it the most accurate depiction of space he's ever seen in a film.

Interstellar is ripe for nitpicking and I get it. I myself can fall into nitpicking for films, but I can turn it off as well. I do know some people that are impossible to watch movies with because they are constantly looking for holes instead of just watching the movie and trying to enjoy it.

My sister does this all the time. She will say something like, "Why would she put the drink down right there? That doesn't make sense. Her character would use a coaster, she would never put a cold drink down on glass without using a coaster." That's just an example, but you get my point. Every film has moments in them that can be nitpicked, but for Interstellar I went in just trying to have the best time possible and didn't want to burden myself with such thoughts.

Often times I'm of the opinion that what some people would call a plot hole, I call creative license.
    I'm with you in that regard. Just enjoy the film. Now, "Lost" there was story with more "Pot Holes" (see what I did there?) than the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway!!! LOL

Spoiler:
    And there you have my semi-annual knock on Lost!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It was roughly 18 months until they reached saturn. The movie takes place over a longer period of time than you might think. If I am not mistaken, it was said it would take them a year to go the long way along Gargantuan and land safely on Millers planet. It is impossible for everything post wormhole to have taken place over just a couple of days, unless the galaxy they were in was very small or it's planets were very close together. I would say to Cooper, everything post wormhole felt to him to be between 3-5 years, I think. I think the absolute minimum amount of time post wormhole to blackhole is 2 years for Cooper.

Me and my friend were debating on whether everything after the black hole was merely fantasy for Cooper. I don't really think it's fantasy but it's something that is totally plausible. To me, this is what happens, as linearly as possible, taking away all relativity.

- Cooper enters the black hole
    - Cooper creates a loop by becoming his daughters 'ghost', leaving the co-ordinates (Cooper and Murph check out the co-ordinates leading to him going to space years before)
    - Still in the 5th dimension Cooper communicates with Murph in her thirites
    - Murph does whatever she does to put things in favour of mankind.
    - The temporal 5th dimension Cooper is inhabiting falls apart and Cooper is spit out the other side of it beside saturn because his journey through the black hole created the wormhole.

It's just theory that he created the wormhole but I don't see how the hell else going through Gargantuan could deliver him to Saturn. Cooper says the 5th dimensional beings are us, people, but maybe it was only him. It would account his being able to be both be alive on earth while also being the ghost at the same time. The 'beings' chose Murph but it was really him choosing her and effectively the two of them ensure both plan A and plan B are completed as shown by the final shot of the film.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just got home from seeing it, loved it. Although I think they might or might not have gotten the time differences correct. Now, I only know a little bit about relativity and/or faster than light travel and/or worm holes and such, but ...

Let's say you and your daughter are on planet Earth. Let's just say, for argument's sake, that she's ten and you're thirty. Now, this movie says that at one point, they were roughly the same age. And then she surpassed him, but let's just stay at that point for a second. Alright, so they're both the same age, which means for every twenty-one years on earth, it was one year in space. Again, I've changed the numbers but for this scenario it's fine.

Now, that's great, time changes. But ... that's going UP. When you come back DOWN, doesn't it even everything out? You guys get what I'm saying? This is what the movie is saying:

Earth: Dad's 30, Daughter's 10.
    In Space: Dad's 31, Daughter is 31.
    Back to Earth: Dad's 32, Daughter is a billion.

Shouldn't time have reversed/evened out when he was on the home trajectory?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

They became the same age because of going down to Miller's planet, because of the black hole time moved way differently. That's why the guy who stayed on the ship and didn't go to the planet said he waited 23 years. At the end he was in the black hole and again, due to the black hole he came out at a different time.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, keep in mind that while forward time travel is theoretically possible, one thing the science community agrees with almost universally is that backward time travel is impossible.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I would go with the Ferris Bueller explanation: running the Ferrari in reverse does not cause the mileage to go down. When Coop is on the spaceship over the planet, time is moving at the same speed for him and the other astronaut. When he goes down to the planet, time moves a lot faster (7 years per hour or something). When he goes back to the spaceship, time moves at the same speed again. There's no way to make the other astronaut younger. However, you could make the two astronauts the same age by leaving Coop on the ship for 23 years and sending the other astronaut down to the planet for a few hours. The same logic would apply to Coop and Murph, except there the mechanism of time travel is (relative) speed instead of gravity.

Time travel backwards in time is definitely possible. You just need a wormhole that connects two points in time (to the extent that time is just another dimension, this should be doable). However, you can't travel arbitrarily far back in time. Instead, you can only go back to the earliest point at which the wormhole existed. So, if there are no time travel wormholes in existence right now, then time travel to any point before now would be impossible. There's a great article on Time Travel and Relativity by Stephen Hawking out there (somewhere) where he goes over these ideas. For all intents and purposes, Interstellar is just a dramatized version of this article.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is the article: LINK

The lede is "All you need is a wormhole, the Large Hadron Collider or a rocket that goes really, really fast". In Interstellar, they had a wormhole and a really fast rocket. The Large Hadron Collider would be useful for creating a wormhole here on earth. I think the general premise of Interstellar is that someone created the wormhole near Saturn(?) for our convenience.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Fascinating article. Thanks for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    ... I think the general premise of Interstellar is that someone created the wormhole near Saturn(?) for our convenience.
    That someone (presumably) being humans - or whatever humans ultimately evolve to - whom have mastered time as a dimension.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I still think Cooper created the worm hole. It's the only logical explanation to me.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Elaborate ...

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The wormhole just appeared 58 years before the film began. Murph's ghost, which Cooper said was gravity, gave them the coordinates that put them on path that puts Cooper in space. Cooper and Brand are sent through the wormhole to try to create a new home for mankind on the otherside. In order to ensure that Plan B succeeds, Cooper puts himself in the Guargantuan blackhole. Inside the black hole he is in the fifth dimeson and he interacts with the past from it, trying to stop himself from going into space while also ensuring he does go to space. From inside the fifth dimension Cooper (as the ghost) communicates with Murphy in the future where she is able to come up with a solution to save the people on Earth, ensuring Plan A also works. When he's done Cooper goes through the wormhold, participating in the 'first handshake' with Brand (meaning he was in Guargantuan's fifth dimension at the same time) and he comes to off of saturn, coincidentally in the vicinity of the wormhole. It makes sense to me that Coopers journey through the fifth dimenson actually created the wormhole, since the films logic tells us 'someone put it there' aka 5th dimensional beings and Cooper in the 5th dimension said the beings were 'us' aka humans, which leads me to conclude it's possible Cooper was the 5th dimensional being that created the wormhole. If Cooper was the ghost on earth while Cooper was on earth, Cooper was in both places at once because of the 5th dimension would work. This eliminates the paradox that would be created since Cooper was always in the 5th dimension as it exists outside of times linear path.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Makes sense, I'll buy that.

I'm watching it again next week and I'll be really focusing on the relativity and time dilation and so forth.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Makes sense, I'll buy that.

I'm watching it again next week and I'll be really focusing on the relativity and time dilation and so forth.
    Yeah, this is one that needs to be watched at least twice.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

LOVED this film. I thought McConaughey was fantastic...I can't help but tear up when he cries on screen, it seems so authentic to me.

Also, random side point, but since childhood I've had a recurring nightmare about a giant waves...that scene on the planet near the blackhole almost gave me a panic attack. Shew.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Interstellar blew me away!

I think i loved it so much because I remember seeing Disney's The Black Hole in the theaters when I was 9 years old. After getting my mind blown by Star Wars two years earlier, the Black Hole really kindled an intense interest in sci-fi in me.

Really got the nostalgia wave big with this movie. I loved the science and also the visuals in the film.

Nolan is the maestro
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad you enjoyed it. The film seems to be dividing people. I adored it though. One of the best movie going experiences for me in years.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here^

Can't wait until it's released on blu ray so I can overdose on it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Y'all my feelings on Nolan, I'll watch anything he makes.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I used to be like Fernando. Now his name gives me a feeling like hearing the name of the one I loved and lost. Dunkirk looks okay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast