Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peter Jackson

7 33.33%
  • Guillermo Del Toro

14 66.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Round 3 - Peter Jackson vs Guillermo Del Toro

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Mattrick: Cervantes is a great writer, and ranks among the greatest, although who remembers anything by him besides Don Quixote? It's the same for me with directors, writers, or actors. One great movie, one great book, one great part is enough. Greatness is measured by what the top is like, not the average of the whole body of work. That's how it is for me. Thus, I consider Harper Lee a great writer; I really do.
    Yes, she is a great writer. But would you say she's the greatest? Great and greatest are two entirely different things.

Babe Ruth is considered the great ball player ever because of how many years he played amazing. I know you probably don't know much about baseball but Ken Griffey Jr was THE player during the 90s. Then after injuries and average numbers, people question whether he is the greatest, because he was amazing then slowed to a crawl. You could say the same thing about many great directors today. They've put up amazing numbers, had career seasons (movies) but they could just as easily make Reindeer Games as their next movie. Or they could make the next Citizen Kane or Mr. Smith goes to Washington.

I agree one work is all you need to be remembered as great. But to be the greatest you have to do it for sometime.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't deny her - or Cervantes - entering such a contest on any level.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Games Mistress Lisey Landon is on a distinguished road Lisey Landon's Avatar

My Mood
    Bitchy

I agree with Pam and Jean here, Mattrick. Greatness is not a matter of quantity, it's about quality through and through.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I do agree with Mattrick that for a director with a short filmography to be in a poll with an established maestro - quantity must rule over quality. Such as in the case of Spielberg vs. Nolan. Both great directors. But Spielberg wins hands down because he's him. In this case here, it's not so clear-cut. Both deserve to be here, Dol Toro perhaps moreso than Jackson, but any of them do pale in comparison to Hitchcock, Kubrick, Spielberg, etc.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry for the baseball references (don't know where they are even coming from) but anyone can swing a bat and hit a homerun once, even hit it out of the stadium. But in my opinion, they have to be able to do it again and again to be considered one of the greatest. Del Toro more specifically than Jackson, has to make some movies other than the two you mentioned that aren't hellboy and blade II (which was just awful) for me, personally, to consider it.

And you also assumed at the beginning I inferred neither of these guys were great. I meant that they are not in the running to be the greatest director of all time in my eyes and I'm sure a lot of people would share that view point and a lot would share yours. In the end it's all subjective. But I tend to look at the greatest as the person who has accomplished the most. When determining the greatest you have to look at everything they have done. The good and the bad. Why else do we have so many topics where it comes down to the amount of movies these directors have made that the people love?

It's kind of like how people couldn't believe Darabont was leading Scorcese, all because of the one great movie he made. Is Darabont one of the greatest directors of all time? I certainly don't think so. People couldn't believe it because scorcese has the track record, Darabont doesn't. In this contest track record will beat a gem any day. At least, that is what has been shown. Though, notoriety has played a part as well. I personally think any artists, athelete...anything in which you can measure greatness...are only as great as long as they allow themselves to be. Cevevantes wrote several books after Don Quixote, but if people only remember Don Quixote...how great was he? If everything else he did is all but forgotten about. You go past your prime, that is all people will remember. Heck, how long did Stephen King have to deal with 'yeah, but it wasn't as good as the stand'. You set that bar that high that early, bad things can happen.

You go out on top, you go out as a great. You keep at it until people don't care anymore...how great are you? Like these old bands from the 60's and 70's and 80's who were great and now are washed up and still try to stay with it. This is why I consider Paul McCartney to be one of the greatest musician of all time...guy has stayed relevent and making good music for 40 years.

Greatness is reletive and utterly comparable and in the end, the one who was greatest longer will win.

Now I'm ranting because I am tired lol All this I think was just because something I said was taken slightly out of context or meaning or whatever. Del Toro is a great director and even a great producer. But as for being considered one of the greatest, time will tell.

Games Mistress Lisey Landon is on a distinguished road Lisey Landon's Avatar

My Mood
    Bitchy

Pablo - I don't see it that way, although I understand your reasoning.

To me it's a matter of the director's perception of a film and then ultimately how they translate their idea to film. If you like the feel of how they've achieved it I don't think they need do it again and again for you to be able to say, "This person has talent."

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nobody's denying they're talented. But in a poll for greatest director of all time there are obvious greater candidates.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

We're not arguing over whether or not the director is talented. We're arguing over how many ways they can show their talent and how it factors into the decision. No one would argue that Da Vinci was talented but he had so many facets for his talent. With every movie/book/song/sympony etc you write, it removes talent from you. Some people only have enough for a couple, some have enough for twenty or even more.

It's much easier for us to judge someone who is dead/retired or almost retired on thier greatness because we've seen what they can do and how long they can keep it up. Del Toro has lots of talent but what he has more of than talent is potential. He's got the potential to keep improving. He's the potential to remain as good as he is or the potential to start making utter crap. I don't know what he is capable of yet for the rest of his career, none of us do. I've got two words and a letter for you - M. Night Shyamalan. His name used to mean 'omg good to great movie' now it means 'why am I watching this'. If he stopped making movies after The Sixth Sense, he could be considered great because it was a great movie. Now, the word great and shyamalan are legally not allowed to be in the same sentence I think.

Charlie Kaufman hasn't had a new project in line since Synecdoche, New York and my friend said it best; "He poured everything he had into that movie. EVERYTHING. If he never writes again it's probably for the best because he will most likely never have enough left to beat it."

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    <...>quantity must rule over quality. Such as in the case of Spielberg vs. Nolan. <...>
    This. Is. The Truth.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Mattrick: Cervantes is a great writer, and ranks among the greatest, although who remembers anything by him besides Don Quixote? It's the same for me with directors, writers, or actors. One great movie, one great book, one great part is enough. Greatness is measured by what the top is like, not the average of the whole body of work. That's how it is for me. Thus, I consider Harper Lee a great writer; I really do.
    And this is why I'm obsessed with Edgar Wright, guys!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

:pins self to dart board:

I went with Jackson.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nobody's denying they're talented. But in a poll for greatest director of all time there are obvious greater candidates.
    See, that's just the thing , this isn't a 'greatest of all time' anything. I purposely named this tournament The Greatest Director Tournament and left out the 'all time bit' so that we could just focus on the directors that were nominated, the greatest director from this group of individuals.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guillermo del Toro's probably my favorite director at the moment.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    See, that's just the thing , this isn't a 'greatest of all time' anything. I purposely named this tournament The Greatest Director Tournament and left out the 'all time bit' so that we could just focus on the directors that were nominated, the greatest director from this group of individuals.
    All time is just a nice way to end it. Greatest is still a definitive term. All time is not required.

Country
    Country Flag

how about "greatest in the eyes of us voting here"?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Most well recieved by those in attendance

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If that helps you sleep better at night, sure, by all means !

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

a vote FOR Del Toro and one AGAINST Jackson.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

that's what bears like to hear

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Guillermo Del Toro advances !

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think we're all agreed, the right director won!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

definitely

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, two thirds of us are agreed, at least, obviously. Good news, anyway.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Del Toro advances !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast