Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christopher Nolan

16 50.00%
  • Steven Spielberg

16 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: TDGT - Round 3 - Christopher Nolan vs Steven Spielberg

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Prestige is the very definition of underrated.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    The Prestige is the very definition of underrated.
    Not in this thread!

Feev, et al, I just, you know, walked out of the theater and it was completely gone. Didn't stay with me at all, didn't impress me, nada. It was fun to watch but then ... gone.

I'm not going to argue for TDK ( you all know I have issues with it ) but what I cannot deny is that it's stayed with me. That Heath's performance was amazing, and I hand bringing that out, allowing that to happen and him to explore that side of himself, I hand that to Nolan.

Unfortunately, I just don't think he's got the depth to go up against Spielberg.

Maybe part of it is that more people have seen Nolan's films more recently ... maybe folks need to go revisit some of SS's movies again.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    What if we compared early films to early films. Let's look at that angle.

What are Nolan's major release movies? In order, via IMDB ( skipping shorts / student films)
    1. Doodlebug
    2. Following
    3. Memento
    4. Insomnia
    5. Batman Begins
    6. The Prestige
    7. Dark Knight
    8. Inception
    What are SS equal ones? In order, via IMDB ( skipping shorts, TV and student films )
    1. The Sugarland Express
    2. Jaws
    3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    4. 1941
    5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    6. ET
    7. Twilight Zone
    8. Temple of Doom
    Sooooooo .................. Nolan wins ?
    I love you Shizzie.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought The Prestige was utterly forgettable.
    Everytime you say that, I die a little.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I thought The Prestige was utterly forgettable.
    Everytime you say that, I die a little.
    Quite.

I am very impressed by The Prestige. Very. I think I'll post in the Nolan thread - do we have a Nolan thread? I mean, the movie stayed with me and I like it more with every day - while (sorry guys) Memento has faded completely by now (though The Following still remains... unchanged).

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I think I'll post in the Nolan thread - do we have a Nolan thread?...
    I was going to start one a long time ago, but I didn't think there were enough of us Nolanites to justify an entire thread. I think with his recent critical successes warrant him a thread of his own now.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Nolan. I think his films are better crafted. Following, for instance, had none of the production values of anything Spielberg has done but was far more captivating to me.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Even Batman Begins, alkanto? With its chaotic cinematography that got nauseating many times?

Jean, if you haven't seen it, watch Munich. A work of a true genius.
    yep! It honestly didn't bother me that much. It was hardly as bad as Cloverfield, and the subject matter was 19x as brilliant. That movie is what made me fall in love with Batman again, and the reason I went to go see The Dark Knight

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Spielburg. I did not even know who Nolan was before this contest.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know, my main problem with Spielberg films is that I forget them on the next day. They don't stay with me. Somehow they fail to touch me on any level.
    Really?

Wow, I have to say I'm really surprised. I mean the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan might be the most realistic sequence ever put on film. That's not even a little memorable?

Honestly, pretty much all of Schindler's List is memorable. Not even for one second the day after you saw Schindler's List did you say, "Wow, that Ralph Fiennes did an amazing job?"
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, some of the MOST memorable films, for me, were from S.S. including, but not limited to. Jaws, Indiana Jones, E.T., etc.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    Nolan. I think his films are better crafted. Following, for instance, had none of the production values of anything Spielberg has done but was far more captivating to me.
    Absolutely. Because Following is a director's movie, not a producer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    You know, my main problem with Spielberg films is that I forget them on the next day. They don't stay with me. Somehow they fail to touch me on any level.
    Really?
    Really.

Wow, I have to say I'm really surprised. I mean the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan might be the most realistic sequence ever put on film. That's not even a little memorable?
    No. Sorry, I can hardly remember what you're talking about. Maybe because I had seen a lot of Russian war movies, comparing to which anything Spielberg does will remain a Hollywood sugarcoated bigmac.

Honestly, pretty much all of Schindler's List is memorable. Not even for one second the day after you saw Schindler's List did you say, "Wow, that Ralph Fiennes did an amazing job?"
    No.
    I am very bitter about Schindler's List. I hope to post about it in detail sooner or later, because if I try to express myself in two words (as I have already done concerning this particular product) I fear I might be misunderstood - again. It is a movie I thoroughly hate.

Now, out of utter respect for you guys, I will watch Munich. I promise to be unbiased and watch it with a clear heart and an open mind.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn, Nolan's lead has decreased dramatically ...

Country
    Country Flag

it is just plainly wrong

let alone that it is impossible

inconceivable

My Mood
    Gay

Thank goodness.
    As you know - I'm a Spielberg fan!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

I'll be damned if I know why...

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Did you watch Catch Me If You Can yet?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Gay

Thank goodness.
    As you know - I'm a Spielberg fan!
    I'll be damned if I know why...
    I can actually answer this fairly simply. His films have touched my life for many years. They have scared me, made me laugh, made me cry, made me think, made me catch my breath and hold it in anticipation. He is an excellent storyteller and his films have helped shape my enjoyment of cinema in general. I could no more go a year without seeing a Spielberg film, than I could go without breathing.

Country
    Country Flag

a very good answer, Pam. I see it perfectly well now. Sorry I can't share it, but at least I started feeling a little better towards Mr.Spielberg - because of the good feelings you have for him. (my own opinion remains unchanged, but it's an entirely different thing)

My Mood
    Gay

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I'm interested to hear what you think of Munich. I didn't really like it for some reason. I'm not really sure why.

Also, give me the names of some of those Russian war movies. If they are as good as Saving Private Ryan, I might be interested.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    On the Spielberg vs Nolan argument:

What cannot be ignored is that Spielberg did change the face of American cinema with quite a few films...
    Quite. I just wish that someone would change it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    ...Steven Spielberg invented Blockbuster films. ...
    Yeah... swell.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

If Spielburg loses this poll, I'm going to boycott the polls for the rest of the contest.
    I absolutely cannot conceive of how Spielburg could lose to Nolan.

Here are the first 5 top ten lists I came upon.

3http://www.filmsite.org/directors.html

These are just the first five lists I came upon in order that they popped up. They are by no means comprehensive, and no one list is representative, but I think that, taken together, they might have some meaning. They all have two things in common.
    1. Steven Spielburg is on it, in many cases as the number one spot.
    2. Nolan is not.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post

What cannot be ignored is that Spielberg did change the face of American cinema with quite a few films...
    Yeah... swell.
    Blockbusters today aren't what they were 10-20 years ago. Blockbusters today are just plain garbage. Inventions do often betray the inventor, do they not?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    1. Jean, I'm interested to hear what you think of Munich. I didn't really like it for some reason. I'm not really sure why.

2. Also, give me the names of some of those Russian war movies. If they are as good as Saving Private Ryan, I might be interested.
    1. I have watched only a half, and was very disappointed; I will comment on it when I'm through.
    2. I will make up a list for you, somewhere in General Movie Discussion; I am not sure about as good as Saving Private Ryan - they are, well, different, nothing Hollywood about them.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post

Yeah... swell.
    Ditto on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    If Spielburg loses this poll, I'm going to boycott the polls for the rest of the contest.
    I absolutely cannot conceive of how Spielburg could lose to Nolan.

Here are the first 5 top ten lists I came upon.

3http://www.filmsite.org/directors.html

These are just the first five lists I came upon in order that they popped up. They are by no means comprehensive, and no one list is representative, but I think that, taken together, they might have some meaning. They all have two things in common.
    1. Steven Spielburg is on it, in many cases as the number one spot.
    2. Nolan is not.
    I don't understand this. I have never bought this kind of reasoning, and never will. Lists are made up by people, and what gets on them is always what can somehow satisfy the average expectations, and the average taste of those who make the list, be it general public, or critics, or journalists; something the majority can agree upon, and I personally do not believe the majority is ever right; I do not believe in such a thing as a collective opinion, or a collective mind: it is by definition inclined to opt for the mediocre. It is very much the same as what we had when we voted the best movie of all times - we got Shawshank, which is by no means the best, but more or less satisfies us on the average. What is great, original, outstanding, is very often hard to swallow; also, there's such a thing as established opinion, which doesn't have to be the same as mine or anybody's around here. I am surprised to see some names on those lists (though, of course, they include some real great people, thank God), and most of my favorite directors are not on any of the lists you linked; so what? I love whom I love, in accordance with my own tastes and experience in both life and cinema; I hope everyone does the same, without appealing to any authorities.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast