Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christopher Nolan

16 50.00%
  • Steven Spielberg

16 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: TDGT - Round 3 - Christopher Nolan vs Steven Spielberg

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    There's no doubt that Spielberg is talented, but Nolan is a breath of fresh air in the film community, imo. Sometimes it's quality, not quantity.
    Can you explain, please Ricky ... breath of fresh air? What has he done that's so counter to everything else we've seen before?

I mean, okay, I think he's got talent, but he can't touch Spielberg .. and if he can ... we haven't seen it yet. IMHO.
    Sure. By that, I mean (in one example) that he's brought the psychological aspect back to films in a society where it's a statistical fact that the average movie-goer doesn't want to sit through a movie and actually think and have their minds prodded. To do that and to do that successfully deserves a large amount of respect. And from me, he's got it.

Pair that with his directing skills and artistic perspective, and you've got one director who's truly showing us something, not just making films to make them.
    I think you said it here ... he brought that aspect "back to films" ... so it's not exactly new.

And yeah, SS has done some pulp, but he basically makes films that make you think, even when they're pulp. Feev himself used a great example of that when he was speaking with Jean about Jurassic Park being more than just a dinosaur movie ( ) .... I just think that Nolan's catelog isn't near as impressive as Spielberg.
    Okay, bear with me here. If one were to live in an environment with clean air, and then go live in the sewers for 10 years, and afterwards, come back to that first clean enironment, it is, quite literally, a breath of fresh air. My point is that if something is absent for a long period of time, once it's brought back, it's still "a breath of fresh air" even though you've experienced it before.

And in regard to Nolan vs. Spielberg film numbers. Of course Spielberg has more under his belt, as he's been in the industry longer. However, I think that if you compare both their beginnings, it would show that Nolan is growing at a much more rapid rate. Just my three cents.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Ricky

Dude, I just think you need to see more movies! Then you won't miss things, cause they're really there all along.

No, seriously, I see your point, I just disagree. I don't see all of what he's "brought back" I guess.

Yes, he's got talent. I am waiting for him to make an impact on me like Spielberg has. An impact on film in general, like SS has. That just hasn't happened yet. And yeah, for sure, SS has been making movies a lot longer, but I just can't judge something that Nolan hasn't produced yet.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Great, great posts Ricky. And I echo that bit about Nolan growing at a much more rapid rate than Spielberg has/did. If you take into account his relatively short time working as a director, his talent becomes much more apparent. He's done more for the medium in his short years then some directors have done in their entire lives, and the notion that he still has miles left to go in his film making career is a prospect that fills me with glee.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pam

I just prefer Nolan's films and style because they fit my interests and thoughts rather than SS's films. In my experience, SS's are more *prepares for backlash* for mainstream audiences.

*hides*
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Gay

What if we compared early films to early films. Let's look at that angle.

What are Nolan's major release movies? In order, via IMDB ( skipping shorts / student films)
    1. Following
    2. Memento
    3. Insomnia
    4. Batman Begins
    5. The Prestige
    6. Dark Knight
    7. Inception
    What are SS equal ones? In order, via IMDB ( skipping shorts, TV and student films )
    1. The Sugarland Express
    2. Jaws
    3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    4. 1941
    5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    6. ET
    7. Twilight Zone

Ricky, man, come on - I love this stuff. I love talking movies with you all! Seriously. Regardless of whether we all agree, and I'm glad we don't always, it's refreshing to be able to talk movies with people who have seen a vast number of films and hold really strong opinions about them.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

If you're skipping shorts, I'd take out Doodlebug, as it's only 3 minutes.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

What are Nolan's major release movies? In order, via IMDB ( skipping shorts / student films)
    1. Doodlebug
    2. Following
    3. Memento
    4. Insomnia
    5. Batman Begins
    6. The Prestige
    7. Dark Knight
    8. Inception
    What are SS equal ones? In order, via IMDB ( skipping shorts, TV and student films )
    1. The Sugarland Express
    2. Jaws
    4. 1941
    6. ET
    7. Twilight Zone
    8. Temple of Doom
    Sooooooo .................. Nolan wins ?

My Mood
    Gay

If you're skipping shorts, I'd take out Doodlebug, as it's only 3 minutes.
    Thank you, sir. I'll edit.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

1. Doodlebug
    2. Following
    3. Memento
    4. Insomnia
    5. Batman Begins
    6. The Prestige
    7. Dark Knight
    8. Inception
    1. The Sugarland Express
    2. Jaws
    4. 1941
    6. ET
    7. Twilight Zone
    8. Temple of Doom
    Yes, that was exactly my point, thank you, Feev!

Sincerely, I'll put ET, Jaws, Raiders and Close Encounters up against anything Nolan has done.

Country
    Country Flag

Ricky, man, come on - I love this stuff. I love talking movies with you all! Seriously. Regardless of whether we all agree, and I'm glad we don't always, it's refreshing to be able to talk movies with people who have seen a vast number of films and hold really strong opinions about them.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I love talking about movies with you all. There's not too many people outside of the site that I'd be able to find that would be as interesting in discussing and dissecting.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I wasn't aware there was any doubt.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

On the Spielberg vs Nolan argument:

What cannot be ignored is that Spielberg did change the face of American cinema with quite a few films in that list: Jaws, ET, Raiders, all fucking blockbuster classics for very different reasons. I think the problem is that, unlike Nolan, he hasn't released any film that's had nearly that same level of impact for at least ten years now, or any kind of film that's nearly as great as his early work.

I say nearly because as truly great Inception was, has it really changed the face of cinema? Too early to tell. I'm hoping for yes. I'm hoping that Nolan has shown that audiences want smart, intelligent films as well as awesome blockbusters, that we do want those two kinds of films combined, but...well, I've got my doubts, but we'll see. But I'm a lot more cynical of the impact of great films now after knowing that we live in a world where Scott Pilgrim bombed. Fucking shocking, that.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I'm hoping that Nolan has shown that audiences want smart, intelligent films as well as awesome blockbusters, that we do want those two kinds of films combined
    Well said.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    On the Spielberg vs Nolan argument:

What cannot be ignored is that Spielberg did change the face of American cinema with quite a few films in that list: Jaws, ET, Raiders, all fucking blockbuster classics for very different reasons. I think the problem is that, unlike Nolan, he hasn't released any film that's had nearly that same level of impact for at least ten years now, or any kind of film that's nearly as great as his early work.
    I can't disagree with that any more vehemently. One of Spielberg's most profound films was Munich, which was only five years ago. It blew my mind when I saw it in theaters, and it hasn't lost its power in subsequent viewings on DVD.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen Munich, but I've been meaning to. I heard it's a great film.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

My mind says Nolan but my heart says Spielberg. Like they say, do what your heart says.

Spielberg.

Some of Spielbergs recent films, Munich, Minority Report, War of the Worlds, are all great. Guy hasn't showed any signs of slowing down his ability to make good movies.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have yet to see a Spielberg movie that will impress me in any way

I have only seen three Nolans by now, and, although I really liked only The Prestige (which is indefinitely more than the number of Spielberg movies I liked, which is none), I found them all creations of a talent, - a feeling that I never had while watching any Spielberg.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

You can't really compare the two. Nolan has brought an independent film style to blockbuster movies where as Steven Spielberg invented Blockbuster films. I like Spielberg because he's able to make films in so many genres.

Have you not seen Catch Me If You Can, Jean? Movie is just fantastic.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

downloading it now

I want to finally be able to understand what my friends see in Spielberg.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think it's anything specific. I find most of his movies just have a charm to them. Or in the case of War of the Worlds or Minority Report, a complete lack of charm. He makes very excellent movies for entertainment and he makes them well. Sure he might not always offer introspective masterpieces or anything, but he has an uncanny knack for making the unreal seem real.

The true value of his work as a director would be found in his more normal movies: Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, Munich.

You should also download A.I. - Artificial Intelligence. The movie was basically made in honour of Stanely Kubrick and I think it's very underrated as a movie. It was the movie Kubrick didn't get to make.

EDIT - If you don't like Catch Me If You Can, you'll be about the first person I've known that said so.

Country
    Country Flag

sorry Mattrick, I absolutely hated A.I....

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I can see why someone wouldn't like that movie.

Country
    Country Flag

You know, my main problem with Spielberg films is that I forget them on the next day. They don't stay with me. Somehow they fail to touch me on any level.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nolan gets my vote, solely for The Prestige and The Batman series.

Both directors are very good, and have made significant impact on the cinema, but the only way we can vote is to go with who we like the best. Greatness is completely subjective, so we shouldn't get too heated over another's opinion.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Even Batman Begins, alkanto? With its chaotic cinematography that got nauseating many times?

Jean, if you haven't seen it, watch Munich. A work of a true genius.

My Mood
    Gay

Munich is an under-rated gem, IMHO. It's outstanding. Just excellent! pablo, good recommendation.

Gonna have to admit that I hated AI, too. Sorry.

However, as far as Nolan goes - I thought The Prestige was utterly forgettable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast