Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christopher Nolan

16 50.00%
  • Steven Spielberg

16 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TDGT - Round 3 - Christopher Nolan vs Steven Spielberg

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default TDGT - Round 3 - Christopher Nolan vs Steven Spielberg

Christopher Nolan's IMDB Page
    Notable films : Memento,Inception, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, The Prestige

Steven Spielberg's IMDB Page
    Notable films : Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nolan!!!

oh thank God, that one was easy...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

REMINDER

In case of a tie the polls, the posts below will serve as the final tie breaker !

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Christopher Nolan. My favorite director

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

so far he is not even close to my twenty favorite directors (it's not that I don't like him, I like him a lot; it's that I love a shit ton of directors)... but way better than Spielberg

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Nolan!!!

oh thank God, that one was easy...
    Hahaha. My thoughts exactly, particularly after the Boyle vs. Scorsese poll.

Christopher Nolan.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nolan x7
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

so far, so good...

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

so far he is not even close to my twenty favorite directors (it's not that I don't like him, I like him a lot; it's that I love a shit ton of directors)...
    I can understand that, Jean. I know that Nolan hasn't reached the iconic status of a Hitchcock, a Kubrick, or a Scorsese ... YET ! But I find his films eternally fascinating. Watching his films reminds me why I love the medium so much, I can rewatch them countless times and never grow weary of them. I love that he only seems to get better with each film he makes, and I can't wait to see what he is in store for us in the near future. I strongly believe he has yet to reach his full potential, both as a visual artist and as a story teller.

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Christopher Nolan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Nolan x7

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    so far he is not even close to my twenty favorite directors (it's not that I don't like him, I like him a lot; it's that I love a shit ton of directors)...
    I can understand that, Jean. I know that Nolan hasn't reached the iconic status of a Hitchcock, a Kubrick, or a Scorsese ... YET ! But I find his films eternally fascinating. Watching his films reminds me why I love the medium so much, I can rewatch them countless times and never grow weary of them. I love that he only seems to get better with each film he makes, and I can't wait to see what he is in store for us in the near future. I strongly believe he has yet to reach his full potential, both as a visual artist and as a story teller.
    Very, very true. Anyway, even now he is closer to my top 20 than both Scorsese and Kubrick that you've mentioned...

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nolan.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When Nolan's filmography reaches the vastness and variety of Spielberg and his masterly handling of the filmmaking craft, I'll vote for him.

One for Steve.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Very, very true. Anyway, even now he is closer to my top 20 than both Scorsese and Kubrick that you've mentioned...
    It is hard for me to be as sharp as Shizzie about Nolan being my favorite director. Because there are some others I can not forget. But, I must confess, Inception stole my heart. Now Nolan shares top of my favorite directors' list with Chan-wook Park, Darren Aronofsky, Kim Ki-duk.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Steven.
    I mean, come on.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

No thanks.

Nolan

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Oh this is tough. I'm going to have to think about it for a bit.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Loving the result so far !

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you think about it and compare, Nolan really has made one great film: Memento. He's made a couple of good ones: The Presitige and The Dark Knight, but also two pretty average ones: Insomnia and Batman Begins (which was physically harsh to watch). I'm yet to see Inception, which I understand is very good.

Spielberg, however, has a great number of films that have entered many top-of-all-time type lists, including Close Encounnters of the Third Kind, Jaws, ET, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, and The Color Purple. Those are just the more lauded ones. There's, of course, Indiana Jones. And there's also other very very good films like War of the Worlds, The Terminal, AI, Duel, Amistad, Empire of the Sun, Catch Me If You Can... nary a miss, in my opinion. My personal of his though is Munich, such a powerful, haunting experience.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There's no doubt that Spielberg is talented, but Nolan is a breath of fresh air in the film community, imo. Sometimes it's quality, not quantity.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Well since we're going for the best director of all time, shouldn't we look at the entirety of their careers? Sure Nolan is great, and it's not his fault Spielberg was making movies already when he was a kid. That doesn't give him any advantage though.

My Mood
    Gay

There's no doubt that Spielberg is talented, but Nolan is a breath of fresh air in the film community, imo. Sometimes it's quality, not quantity.
    Can you explain, please Ricky ... breath of fresh air? What has he done that's so counter to everything else we've seen before?

I mean, okay, I think he's got talent, but he can't touch Spielberg .. and if he can ... we haven't seen it yet. IMHO.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

That depends on what your definition of "best" is.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Can you explain, please Ricky ... breath of fresh air? What has he done that's so counter to everything else we've seen before?

I mean, okay, I think he's got talent, but he can't touch Spielberg .. and if he can ... we haven't seen it yet. IMHO.
    Sure. By that, I mean (in one example) that he's brought the psychological aspect back to films in a society where it's a statistical fact that the average movie-goer doesn't want to sit through a movie and actually think and have their minds prodded. To do that and to do that successfully deserves a large amount of respect. And from me, he's got it.

Pair that with his directing skills and artistic perspective, and you've got one director who's truly showing us something, not just making films to make them.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure. By that, I mean (in one example) that he's brought the psychological aspect back to films in a society where it's a statistical fact that the average movie-goer doesn't want to sit through a movie and actually think and have their minds prodded. To do that and to do that successfully deserves a large amount of respect. And from me, he's got it.

Pair that with his directing skills and artistic perspective, and you've got one director who's truly showing us something, not just making films to make them.

My Mood
    Gay

I think you said it here ... he brought that aspect "back to films" ... so it's not exactly new.

And yeah, SS has done some pulp, but he basically makes films that make you think, even when they're pulp. Feev himself used a great example of that when he was speaking with Jean about Jurassic Park being more than just a dinosaur movie ( ) .... I just think that Nolan's catelog isn't near as impressive as Spielberg.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast