Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tim Burton

14 50.00%
  • Stanley Kubrick

14 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Round 2 - Tim Burton vs Stanley Kubrick

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Look, the trouble with The Shining was that Kubrick was so determined to blow off the afterlife. King was like, "Is there an afterlife, for real? I just don't know." But Kubrick, he knew everything. I mean, this is a guy whose biggest hero was Napoleon. Burton's problem, on the other hand, is that he's just gotten too comfortable. He's not really as fiery at heart as Kubrick was... but he certainly did create some great stuff in his younger days.
    Perfectly stated, all of it. Bears agree with the whole passage.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Final Tie Breaker

This is how it's going to go down :

The first director to have 5 of his films named by the users will be the one to advance. Only one film may be named per user, naturally.

The naming will commence in exactly one hour as of the time of this post. If you name a film before the one hour mark, I will not count your vote.

The clock begins it's march ...

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

...and I was just about to go to bed.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's cool, Brice, just leave me your log in password and I'll make sure to log in and vote for ... Burton ... yes, I'll vote for Burton ... I'll help you vote for Burton ... Oh how the helping shall be dispensed!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

GO !

Kubrick - Spartacus

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dr.Strangelove

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Kubrick

feverishparade
    jean

Burton

So far..

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Stanley Kubrick : Clockwork Orange
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Come on, 2 more Kubrick films ....

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

The Shining

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Kubrick

feverishparade
    jean
    turtlex
    girlystevedave

Burton

ONE MORE FOR KUBRICK !

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Burton: Pee-wee's Big Adventure.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Because Planet of the Apes, Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd, etc had such well constructed scripts.
    I thought Sweeney Todd had a fantastic script, actually. Overall, though, you're right: those movies all had script issues. Good thing they aren't his definitive movies. When someone talks about Tim Burton, they think of: The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, and a few others (mostly his early films). Now, please, show me the films that Kubrick wrote original scripts for.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Burton didn't direct The Nightmare Before Christmas.

And you want me to provide original scripts with the assumption that I agree with your sentiment that better script writer = better director, which I don't. Since film is a visual medium, I give credit to those directors that are able to convey radical emotion through the use of powerful imagery. In that regard, Kubrick is leagues ahead of Burton.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Barry Lyndon ftw

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Kubrick
    feverishparade
    jean
    turtlex
    girlystevedave
    Pablo

Burton
    SynysterSaint

Kubrick advances !

Country
    Country Flag

but Heather wasn't even there! she would have raised her voice for Burton

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I texted her in the morning to let her know what was going on, but I guess she didn't get it in time ...

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

P.S - I'm about to post the first group of Round 3 in about 10 minutes, so stay tuned

Country
    Country Flag

I am staying tuned, and what do I see in 10 minutes?

feverishparade 11:26 PM Viewing Thread In Your Mind Right Now: spill your beans.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My bad, I realized how hungry I was and went to grab a snack from the lunch truck. Give me a few more mins ...

Country
    Country Flag

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...I give credit to those directors that are able to convey radical emotion through the use of powerful imagery...
    Well, even so, you ought to give Burton some credit.

Also, there's no one single definitive directing skill, actually. If there were, I'd say that LEADERSHIP is it. Any jerk with O.C.D. can create radical imagery. I still respect Burton for moving my soul more than Kubrick. Good thing that, after all, this tourney is just a little game.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    but Heather wasn't even there! she would have raised her voice for Burton
    I texted her in the morning to let her know what was going on, but I guess she didn't get it in time ...
    I was at work
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    ...I give credit to those directors that are able to convey radical emotion through the use of powerful imagery...
    Well, even so, you ought to give Burton some credit.
    Oh, definitely. Some of his earlier work is ripe with startling imagery that stays with you long after the credits roll, Edward Scissorhands being a prime example. I love that film.

Also, there's no one single definitive directing skill, actually...
    Obviously. In this case however, I value Kubrick's tour de force imagery and reoccurring theme of dehumanization much more than I value anything by Burton.

I still respect Burton for moving my soul more than Kubrick.
    Burton's films move my sole too ... the soles of my feet as I exit the his latest CGI-fest in disgust

Good thing that, after all, this tourney is just a little game.
    Not for me it isn't. This is serious business. If my director doesn't win , I'm exiting this world Kurt Cobain style.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast