Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tim Burton

14 50.00%
  • Stanley Kubrick

14 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Round 2 - Tim Burton vs Stanley Kubrick

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Kubrick without a doubt. Burton has made good movies but not great movies. The Shining and Clockwork Orange win this for me.

Come on people, we need a malenky few votes for Kubrick! I'll give some cutter!
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

This is soooo not fair. These are my top two directors, and I no now that no matter what, one of them will not be in the finals.

So, If I have to decide which one I want to see win this thing most......

....then its Burton.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

besides big fish, i think burtons films are very redundant

kubrick
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

oh shit, I forgot The Shining... maybe I should have voted for Burton...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Was it the movie that didn't like or Kubrick's handling of it, Jean?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    This is a good question. Now that you asked it, I think the director's part was ok - not exactly Dr.Strangelove, but quite good anyway. It's the adaptation and the casting that I mostly object to. The same, I suppose, goes for Eyes Wide Shut.

Also, I believe that cinematographically, ACO is a pure work of genius, much as I hate the movie.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Also, I believe that cinematographically, ACO is a pure work of genius, much as I hate the movie.
    Case in point :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XFCnWWPlHE&feature=related"]YouTube- A Clockwork Orange - Alex attacks Georgie & Dim[/ame]

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    This is a good question. Now that you asked it, I think the director's part was ok - not exactly Dr.Strangelove, but quite good anyway. It's the adaptation and the casting that I mostly object to. The same, I suppose, goes for Eyes Wide Shut.
    Kubrick changed a lot of what was in the book. I'm not sure if it's I knew Kubrick's version before I read Kings or if it's so much more ambiguous in Kubricks but I like the movie version better than the book. Though the book did have some things (hedge animals, that hole) the movie lacked.

I think Shelley DuVall really ruined the shining. Nicholson was a perfect choice. The guy they got to play Grady and Lloyd were fantastic, though.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ummm....yeah, I'm gonna' hold my vote on this one too.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Stanley Kubrick. A true auteur, and one of the greatest film makers of all time.
    I disagree with you. I hate to say it (and I really do hate to say this) but I have never enjoyed a single Kubrick film. I really liked the first half of Full Metal Jacket, and then there was the rest of the movie. I don't think he has really contributed much to the film industry as a whole, though he HAS created some very memorable characters like HAL, R. Lee Ermey's drill instructor (thought I don't think that was a "character", I think that was Ermey himself), and Alex. I don't believe he gave us much more than that though. Of course that's my opinion...
    Of course you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and these polls are nothing but an exercise of opinions, but speaking objectively, how can you say that you "don't think he has really contributed much to the film industry as a whole" - that's just plain wrong and not a matter of opinion. ...
    I think it's undeniable that Kubrick influenced "the film industry" but the term "contributed" is more relative to differing value systems.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Ummm....yeah, I'm gonna' hold my vote on this one too.
    Whispers into Brice's ear...
    Spoiler:
    Burton
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Come on, Kubrick needs a bigger lead ...

Country
    Country Flag

well, Burton isn't anyone to sneeze at, either...

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Burton has made lots of good films but I don't know if he's made a great film yet. Big Fish and Scissorhands are close, though.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My vote went to Stan the Man, but... No love for Batman, really? And Batman Returns? To me those are the best interpretations of the character, and are wonderfully done with art direction up the wazoo.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*sneezes in Tim Burton's general direction*

Excuse me.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Holding a grudge from last round? They've faced each other already: It would have been better to swap these around.

To me, these two are both directors who've done great things, yet also each posses glaring faults. I might go with Burton. He brought cultishness into the mainstream... but I'm not sure whether that's really a good thing.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    *sneezes in Tim Burton's general direction*

Excuse me.

Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Country
    Country Flag

pfft

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*Bump

Still a close race ...

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love Edward Scissorhands, but 2001 has been my favorite movie since I saw it sometime in the late '60. That was a (movie)experience still unsurpassed.

sk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh no, tied at 13! Can't believe we can't get more! Go Kubrick!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

REMINDER :

If the poll ends in a tie, the posts in favor will count as the final tie breaker !

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

One more vote for Burton, anyone!....
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    One more vote for Burton, anyone!....
    Pff, if Kubrick doesn't advance, I... I... I'll be upset.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast