Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quentin Tarantino

23 74.19%
  • Paul Thomas Anderson

8 25.81%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Round 2 - Quentin Tarantino vs Paul Thomas Anderson

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Regarding on who's a better director, whilst I've heard nothing but great things from PTA, especially There Will Be Blood, I've yet to see any of his films, so I'm not gonna make a vote on this one. I do agree with others that Tarantino is an amazing scriptwriter - after all, the really long, classic quotes are what Tarantino's films are remembered for best - I'm not entirely sure he's a great director. That's not me saying he's a crap or great director, just that his scripts seem to make more impact to me than than his directing ability...unless, of course, he's not directing his own screenplay and it gets radically altered, so perhaps I should give him props for being 100% faithful to his own source and making great films out of it!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

I would choose Reservoir Dogs over Magnolia.
    What? Reservoir Dogs isn't even that strong of a movie.

Also, I can't help but feel Punch Drunk Love is a tad overrated.
    Yeah, it's a tad overrated in the sense it's absolutely amazing. One of my favourite movies, EVER.
    I was just using Reservoir Dogs as an example. You can plug in IB or Kill Bill if you want.

I would disagree though, I think Reservoir Dogs is a strong movie.

Jean is right, being "an easy film to watch" isn't a good or bad thing. I was mainly trying to say if you are looking to just watch a fun, entertaining film, There Will Be Blood might not be the film I'd choose.

I'm sure other people would disagree, but as somebody who likes both films. I'd go with something from QT instead.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

For those of you who love There Will Be Blood, you have to admit, that is not exactly an easy film to watch. You can't just sit down and watch that film. You have to be in the mood.
    It is for me. Hell , I own the DVD, and every time I flip through the movie channels and see it's on, I just have to sit down and watch it, such is my fascination with that film.

Also, I can't help but feel Punch Drunk Love is a tad overrated.
    If anything I feel that film is underrated. It gets better with each subsequent viewing.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

What? Reservoir Dogs isn't even that strong of a movie.
    It was a strong script with a few good performances; most notably Michael Madsen and Steve Buschemi although Tim roth (who I love) was also good. Magnolia had much better acting and characters and direction and more to say. Who doesn't love Frank T.J. Mackey?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Paul Thomas Anderson.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well... we need 12 more votes...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm just going to take the rest of the tourney to self-righteously bitch about how woefully underappreciated Anderson is.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

sounds like a plan

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

PTA.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Tarantino.Love his style and in my opinion this was a no brainer.At almost 75% in favor of Tarantino I would say the people have spoken.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAWDEsgMahQ"]Paul Thomas Anderson.[/ame]

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3So1isbpZA"]Paul Thomas Anderson forcing Adam Sandler to act.[/ame]

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    I'm just going to take the rest of the tourney to self-righteously bitch about how woefully underappreciated Anderson is.
    Sounds like my policy regarding how early Edgar Wright was kicked out of this tournament!

- Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

You can't really compared Edgar Wright to Paul Thomas Anderson. Like comparing the Farrelly Brothers to the Coen Brothers.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Wright is more comparable to Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino than Paul Thomas Anderson, I will say that.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33C65V9JdbE"]The Best Single Take You've ever Seen.[/ame]

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan79 View Post
    Tarantino.Love his style and in my opinion this was a no brainer.At almost 75% in favor of Tarantino I would say the people have spoken.
    we have four more days... maybe a miracle?

who hasn't voted yet? who has been hesitating? more Anderson votes?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd vote for PTA without thinking if it was against someone else, like Clint Eastwood, but this is QT here, sorry.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

This poll is closing today ...

Country
    Country Flag

well Seymour - 15 more votes, and we win.............

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Ever the optimist.

Country
    Country Flag

yes, like King Arthur in First Knight:

Spoiler:
    "I have no pride left in me. What I do, now I do for my people and for Camelot. And may they forgive me. This is my last act as your king. Do not be afraid. All things change. I am Arthur of Camelot, and I command you now... all... To fight! Fight like you've never fought before! Never surrender! Never Surrender! Fight as you never... "
    [Arthur is shot by several crossbow bolts]

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

If I didn't hate that movie so totally, it might bother me to see such a big spoiler for everyone.
    Spoiler:
    Anyone who hasn't seen it, however, and picks it up wondering whether she'll end up with Richard Gere must be awfully thick-headed, anyway.
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 09-11-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: ETA: One good tag deserves another

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Richard Gere...as King Arthur...?

There is no smilie, pic or gif that can truly get across the look of sheer fucking horror on my face at such an idea right about now!

- Melike

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Gere was Lancelot.
    Sean Connery was Arthur.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast