Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steven Spielberg

19 57.58%
  • Terry Gilliam

14 42.42%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TDGT - Round 2 - Steven Spielberg vs Terry Gilliam

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Yes, I'm aware of his complete catalog ... are you agreeing or disagreeing, my friend?
    Agreeing. He's easily one of the most accessible and versatile directors in hollywood. Able to make good drama to sci-fi to action to horror. I think the only think he hasn't truly made is comedy, though comedy is in most of his movies.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, and Always was sort of a comedy/drama - it's one of his more under-rated films.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The guy gave us Jaws, Jurassic Park, Schlinder's List and Raiders.
    that's exactly what I'm complaining of

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

One of the many reasons I love the Bear!!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I know of the bears dislike for Schindler's List, but what's wrong with Jurassic Park ?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    My mind says Spielberg but my heart says Gilliam ... I really , really can't decide ...

♫♪ Then, tomorrow was another day, ♪
    the morning found me miles away
    with still a million things to say. ♪

♫Now, when twilight dims the sky above, ♪
    recalling thrills of our love,
    there’s one thing that I’m certain of... ♪

♫♪ Return I will to old Brazil.♫
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Spielburg. Gilliam gets an A for Fear and Loathing, as well as Monty Python and 12 Monkeys, but the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus was worse than terrible.
    Well, you do kind of need to cut a guy some slack when his star drops dead...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    That was a very hard decision, but I went with Spielberg - mainly because I think Jaws is one of the greatest films ever made.
    Great tastes in movies, and a British accent.
    "In the end, people have to learn to live together. That is what I didn`t like about America - it is so homogeneous. I like places where there are people who are different culturally, physically, in every way. And I like to see how they succeed in living together."
    ~ Terry Gilliam

I know of the bears dislike for Schindler's List, but what's wrong with Jurassic Park ?
    Dude! Srsly, if you don't know, then I can't tell you.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Please, enlighten us !

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

I had to even it up at 10 votes each.Speilberg has too many great films even though Fear and Loathing is one of my favorites.I could quote that movie all day!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oops ! Forgot to mention that I voted for Gilliam.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Please, enlighten us !
    Three pounds of flax.
    Oops ! Forgot to mention that I voted for Gilliam.
    I knew you'd do the right thing in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan79 View Post
    I had to even it up at 10 votes each.Speilberg has too many great films even though Fear and Loathing is one of my favorites.I could quote that movie all day!
    Ooo... you wascally wabbit!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I can't decide
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I never realized Gilliam was so popular.

People can say what they want about Speilberg, but he has directed some absolute timeless classics.

Saving Private Ryan is the best war film every made IMO. The Indiana Jones franchise is maybe the greatest movie franchise ever. Schindler's List is just an amazing film.

He's also directed some great sci-fi films, E.T., Minority Report, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Jurassic Park.

Freakin' Jaws. He directed freakin' Jaws.

Holy Grail is obviously a classic, but almost everything else Gilliam has done in his career can't even come close to SS.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

SS
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing. I can't even form an opinion. There's nothing wrong about it, just like there's nothing right, or any other discernible quality. It's a movie about dinosaurs. I am not interested in dinosaurs. Unfortunately, that's all the movie seems to be about.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's what it is. But being a kid when I saw that movie, it was just amazing. Nothing like that movie had ever been done before when it came out. It broke grounds for CGI, Robotics, Animatoronics and changed the way movies have been made since. Both Spielberg and Cameron (with T2 out the year before) changed that genre of cinema (aciton/sci-fi) forever.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

E.T. ... ugh.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

I am afraid bears don't give a flying f**k about CGI, Robotics, Animatoronics and the whole of action/sci-fi...

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

As far as I'm concerned, Steven Spielberg put the magic back in films.

Country
    Country Flag

I fail to see what you mean. Maybe because I mainly watch European cinema, which in its best examples never suffered lack of magic. Probably we have in mind different things when we say "magic", though.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a movie about dinosaurs. I am not interested in dinosaurs. Unfortunately, that's all the movie seems to be about.
    The film is not just about dinosaurs. Like many sci-fi writer, Crichton is using science fiction elements to convey a socio-political message, in this case : man's eagerness to disrupt the natural order of things despite the consequences it may bring and our obsession with playing God. The following quote by Malcolm outlines this perfectly "Your scientists were so hung up on whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

It's a triumph on both a visual level and as a cinematic experience ... seeing the T-Rex escape it's confines for the first time and all that it represents is something I'll never ever forget, the theater room was completely in awe at what they were witnessing on screen. Seeing two distinct species separated by 65 million years of evolution being thrown back into the mix together (to paraphrase), that's one of the most unique ideas I've ever heard of and I'm thankful that Spielberg was able to create such a beautiful world for this idea to thrive in.

Country
    Country Flag

Feverish... I respect your feelings, but really... then, it's a movie about dinosaurs with a socio-political message. I am not interested in movies about dinosaurs with socio-political messages. If I want to be in awe at what I witness, I'd rather go to the circus, a military parade, planetarium, things like that. There is a difference between a movie and a show, at least to bears... Circus, military parade and planetarium with a socio-political message isn't, really, what satisfies that place in my soul that needs a movie.

My Mood
    Gay

Feev - I love that explanation. I love JP, it's one I watch again and again.

Jean - I think what you're saying is how I like to describe the difference between a movie and a film.

To me, using SS as a platform : Jurassic Park is a great MOVIE. Schlinder's List is a great FILM.

Country
    Country Flag

Jean - I think what you're saying is how I like to describe the difference between a movie and a film.
    Believe it or not, it is just the distinction I made trying to explain to my student once what kind of cinema I liked: we decided to call ones "movies", and the others "films", and then, of course, got hopelessly lost because everyone kept forgetting which is which. In the end it was, "what Jean likes" and "what people like".

ETA: both Jurrasic and Schindler's look like "movies" to me, say sorry...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast