Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 books of my life

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by woodpryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    1. Rosemary's Baby-Ira Levin
    2. The Exorcist-William Peter Blatty
    3. The Monk-M. G. Lewis
    4. Deathbird Stories-Harlan Ellison
    5. Something Wicked This Way Comes-Ray Bradbury
    6. Imagica-Clive Barker
    7. The Dark Tower
    8. The Books Of Blood-Clive Barker
    9. The Great And Secret Show-Clive Barker
    10. A Clockwork Orange-Anthony Burgess
    11. The Shining
    12. H. P Lovecraft Complete & Unabridged (yes, I'm cheating here, but fuck it)
    13. It
    12. Psycho-Robert Bloch
    13. The Silmarillion-Tolkien
    14. Pet Sematary
    15. Carmilla-Joseph Sheridan LeFanu
    Great list Brice!
    Thank you!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And so we go

1. The Dark Tower-King
    2. The Sword of Truth- Goodkind
    3. Pendragon Series- McHale
    4. Harry Potter- Rowling
    5. New Jedi Order Series- Multiple authors
    6. Battle Royale- Takami
    7. Percy Jackson and The Olympians- Riordan
    8. His Dark Materials- Pullman
    9. The Ship Who Searched- McCaffrey with Mercedes Lackey
    10. Alex Cross series- Patterson
    11. Rot and Ruin- Mayberry
    12. The Season of Passage- Pike
    13. The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde- Stevenson
    14. Frankenstein- Shelley
    15. It -King
    If you love me then love me..

Gunslinger Apprentice ErinPatricia is on a distinguished road ErinPatricia's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Dark Tower Stephen King
    Harry Potter J.K. Rowling
    The Belgariad David Eddings
    The Malloreon David Eddings
    The TalismanStephen King
    The Obnoxious Jerks Stephen Manes
    Brave New World Aldous Huxley
    Catcher in the Rye J.D. Salinger
    Lord of the Flies William Golding
    Babysitters Club (seriously these got me hooked on reading, Sweet Valley and Nancy Drew books too)
    Other Peoples Heroes Blake M. Petit
    The Little Mermaid Hans Christian Anderson (the first book I remember checking out repeatedly from the library
    Hitchhikers Guide to the GalaxyDouglas Adams
    The Stand Stephen King
    The Pillars of the Earth Ken Follett
    I lurk, therefore I am.

Along the Path of the Beam lordmerchant is on a distinguished road

Here is my list, a good melting pot of fantasy,sci-fi, horror and thrillers

1. The Dark Tower series - king (obviously)
    2. The Stand - King (absolutely love this book, for me it's up there with DT)
    3. I am legend - Matheson
    4. Jurassic Park - Crichton (always loved dinosaurs as a kid, the movie was great, but the books were spectacular)
    5. Consider Phlebas - Lain M Banks (great sci-fi)
    6. The Forever War - Joe Hadelman (great sci-fi again, one of the best anti-war novels I have read also)
    7. LOTR - tolkein (everybodys read this one right?)
    8. The wasp factory - Lain Banks
    9. The postman - David Brin (nota great movie, but the novel really is great - give it a go)
    10 - The road _ cormac mccarthy (found it very difficult to get used to the prose, but persevered and enjoyed it)
    11 - The incredible shrinking man- Richard MAtheson
    12. The colour of magic - Terry Pratchett (first of the discworld novels and funny as hell)
    13. Animal Farm - George Orwell (Read this as a child, and enjoyed it, it was only when i read it as a teen when i understood its allegory)
    14. The zombie survival guide (never hurts to be prepared)
    15. 1984 - Orwell

what ya think?
    Only equals speak the truth. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web or regard.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gee, this is way more difficult than I thought - as soon as I think of one book, a dozen others jump right into my mind. So I'll try to choose a few, including those I liked all the way back in my childhood.

1. The Dark Tower
    2. "Les Rois Maudits" (The Accursed Kings series) by Maurice Druon - this is my second-favorite series, though it's way behind TDT
    3. "L'Île mystérieuse" (The Mysterious Island) by Jules Verne - read it when I was around 10 y.o. and was enchanted by Cyrus Smith (very knowledgeable engineer, just like my Dad )
    4. "The Prodigal Daughter" by Jeffrey Archer. I was about 13 at the time, and this was the first book I read entirely in English (not having read a Russian translation before (or after, for that matter)) - thanks to my English teacher at school who noticed my interest in the language.
    5. Novels and stories about Sherlock Holmes - by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (can't beat the characters logical reasoning skills - I seriously envy those who possess them to such extent)
    6. "Занимательная физика" and "Живая математика" (Physics for Entertainment and Lively Mathematics) by Yakov Perelman (these were my table books when I was a preteen - they were such a good introduction to the world of science)
    7. "Слово о словах" (A Word About Words) by Lev Uspensky (a book on popular linguistics - I've always been equally interested in languages and in science)
    8. "The Teachings of Don Juan"/ "Tales of Power" / "The Art of Dreaming" by Carlos Castaneda
    9. "В списках не значился" (Not Listed In the Muster Roll (?)) - a novel by Boris Vassiliev about herioc Soviet soldiers who defended Brest fortress from the German Wehrmacht during the very beginning of Operation Barbarossa. (I still find myself on the verge of tears whenever I think of this novel.)
    10. "Im Westen nichts Neues" (All Quiet on the Western Front) by Erich Maria Remarque
    11. "Лезвие бритвы" (Razor's Edge) - a sci-fi novel by Ivan Yefremov (I love how in that novel there is a bit of everything - philosophy, detective story, anthropology, etc.) I also like Yefremov's other works - The Bull's Hour (even though it is about the victory of Communism, it's still a good piece of sci-fi), At the Edge of Oikoumene (2-part historical novel), Stellar Ships, and others.
    12. "Люди как боги" (People Like Gods) - sci-fi series by Sergey Snegov
    13. "A Descent into the Maelström" by Edgar Allan Poe (his other works as well)
    14. "Quo Vadis" by Henryk Sienkiewicz. His novels about Polish history are also quite interesting, especially the trilogy - With Fire and Sword, The Deluge, Fire in the Steppe (Pan Wolodyjowski).
    15. "Звездные дневники Ийона Тихого" (The Star Diaries and Memoirs of a Space) by Stanislaw Lem - a good example of sci-fi with a healthy dose of humor and irony.

It looks like the list is full already, and I have not yet mentioned Ray Bradbury, Robert Shekley, Mikhail Bulgakov, Alexandre Dumas (pere, author of "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "The Three Musketeers"), Boleslaw Prus ("Pharaoh"), James Fenimore Cooper, Bronte sisters, Agatha Christie, Ivan Bunin ("Dark Avenues") and an army of other writers whose works I love.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    5. Novels and stories about Sherlock Holmes - by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (can't beat the characters logical reasoning skills - I seriously envy those who possess them to such extent)
    6. "Занимательная физика" and "Живая математика" (Physics for Entertainment and Lively Mathematics) by Yakov Perelman (these were my table books when I was a preteen - they were such a good introduction to the world of science)
    7. "Слово о словах" (A Word About Words) by Lev Uspensky (a book on popular linguistics - I've always been equally interested in languages and in science)
    11. "Лезвие бритвы" (Razor's Edge) - a sci-fi novel by Ivan Yefremov (I love how in that novel there is a bit of everything - philosophy, detective story, anthropology, etc.) I also like Yefremov's other works - The Bull's Hour (even though it is about the victory of Communism, it's still a good piece of sci-fi), At the Edge of Oikoumene (2-part historical novel), Stellar Ships, and others.
    15. "Звездные дневники Ийона Тихого" (The Star Diaries and Memoirs of a Space) by Stanislaw Lem - a good example of sci-fi with a healthy dose of humor and irony.

Bears are surprised, however, not to see anything by the Strugazki brothers there. Also, have you read Повесть о Ходже Нaсреддине (Леонид Соловьев)? Are you reading any Пелевин or Быков now?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post

Bears are surprised, however, not to see anything by the Strugazki brothers there. Also, have you read Повесть о Ходже Нaсреддине (Леонид Соловьев)? Are you reading any Пелевин or Быков now?
    I have never been particularly interested in Strugazki brothers' works - don't really know why. Throughout all my attempts to read any of their books (and there have been a few as you can imagine) I felt 'out of sync' with them. Maybe I should just try again now that I am older.

"Повесть о Ходже Насреддине" was a book that my parents read me at bedtime when I was little, and I also read it myself later - it's awesome. If I had another 15 slots on the list, I would have definitely included it.

I only read Быков's columns somewhere on the Internet, and saw him on TV a few times - he sounds like an interesting guy. Which of his books would you recommend to read? (Oh, I've just realized I have his "Орфография" book - is it good?)
    As to Пелевин, I had tried to read "Чапаев и Пустота" many years ago - and it almost drove me insane with its 'surreal reality'. Haven't tried any other of his books, though.
    I read very little of modern Russian literature - I have so little time for reading, and it's difficult to separate garbage from good books (at least I have not found any reviewers whom I would trust). I did read Рубен Гальего "Черным по белому" (enormously painful to read), Павел Санаев "Похороните меня за плинтусом" (ditto) and Сергей Минаев "Духless" (after reading this book I thanked all higher powers that 'that' world is not a part of 'my' world, although it is dedicated "to the generation of 1970-1976", which is my generation).

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Орфография is one of my favorite novels ever; I do wish you would try it, and hope you will love it. (which is not certain, of course.) Чапаев и Пустота is the best of everything Pelevin has written, also I love at least two more of his novels (Generation P and Омон Ра) and some short stories, and rather like anything else he has written. Talking about Strugazkie, I would highly recommend Град Обреченный to begin with.

Country
    Country Flag

I will try "Орфография", most definitely. Perhaps Strugazkie, too. Pelevin just might be a bit too much for me at the moment, but I appreciate your thoughts on his books.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish I could read Russian. I've always wanted to learn Slavic languages.

Lem certainly stretched my brain. You picked some good authors, RiS. And, as a kid, I also loved Holmes and The Mysterious Island.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I wish I could read Russian. I've always wanted to learn Slavic languages.
    Why not start it now? (Learning, I mean.)
    I am so thankful to my parents that (1) they passed on to me good genes that enabled my language acquisition, and (2) enrolled me in a very good school with exceptional English studies program.
    I can't remember who said it, but each new language is a new world that opens to you.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Lem certainly stretched my brain. You picked some good authors, RiS. And, as a kid, I also loved Holmes and The Mysterious Island.
    Thank you. And

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Just thought I''d throw my list into the mix, you guys sure named some good ones!

1. The Dark Tower Stephen King
    2. The Celestine Prophecy James Redmond
    3. The Outsiders SE Hinton
    4. The Stand Stephen King
    5. David Copperfield Charles Dickens
    6. It Stephen King
    7. Where the Red Fern Grows Wilson Rawls
    8. The Green Mile Stephen King
    9. The Prophet Kahil Gibran
    10. Eric Doris Lund
    11. The Shining Stephen King
    12. Duma Key Stephen King
    13. The Rosary Murders William X Kienzle
    14. My Enemy, The Queen Victoria Holt
    15. Gone With The Wind Margaret Mitchell

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Traveler Voozle is on a distinguished road Voozle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lordmerchant View Post
    10 - The road _ cormac mccarthy (found it very difficult to get used to the prose, but persevered and enjoyed it)
    The Road is a favorite of mine as well, although I'm not sure I understand the ending. Have you read anything else by McCarthy? I just picked up The Orchard Keeper, but I haven't started it yet.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blavigne View Post
    4. The Stand Stephen King
    6. It Stephen King
    12. Duma Key
    bears' favorite King books, these

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought Duma Key was initially a little hard to get into but once it grabbed me, I didn't want to put it down. It still scares me, not clowns, balloons and spiders kind of stuff but on a deeper level. The Stand is unforgettable to me, the characters feel so real when you read that book!

I am sure that the first novel I ever read was David Copperfield. I have probably re-read it twenty or more times throughout my life although sadly, I do not currently own a copy. I must have been nine or ten the first time. I remember wanting to be Dora so badly for so long. I thought she was the very definition of "romance". Being older, and hopefully wiser now, I would choose to be Agnes who not only lived but in the end, got the man too.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blavigne View Post
    It still scares me, not clowns, balloons and spiders kind of stuff but on a deeper level.
    Yes.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i have been chomping on the end of my pen trying to narrow this down to 15 (i know i was supposed to name the first 15 that popped into my head, but they may not have been the 15 books of my life - so i cheated)

1. The Dark Tower Books (stephen King)
    2. Farenheit 451 (Ray Bradury)
    3. Plague Dogs (Richard adams)
    4. The Lord of the Rings
    5. The Stand (stephen King)
    6. The Narnia series (CS Lewis)
    7. Lightening - (Dean R Koontz)
    8. Desolation Road (Ian McDonald)
    9. Weaveworld (Clive Barker)
    10. The Bad Place (Dean R Koontz)
    11. Tommy Knockers (stephen king)
    12. A clockwork orange ( Anthony burgess)
    11. The Prestige (christopher priest)
    12. The Langoliers (stephen king)
    13. Fluke (james herbert)
    14. I robot (issac asimov)
    15. 5 people you meet in heaven (mitch albom)

i think that it. although i still have some i think should have made it to the list (this list differs to my facebook one, only slightly though)

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

15 books of my Life

1. Hearts in Atlantis- Stephen King
    2. Grapes of Wrath- John Steinbeck
    3. Carrie- Stephen King
    4. Christine- Stephen King
    5. 'Salem's Lot- Stephen King
    6. The Dark Tower Series- Stephen King
    7. The Outsiders- S.E Hilton
    8. The Juniper Tree and other Blue Rose Stories-Peter Straub
    9. The Throat- Peter Straub
    10. From a Buick 8- Stephen King
    11. Mystery- Peter Straub
    12. Of Mice and Men- John Steinbeck
    13. Riding The Bullet- Stephen King
    14. Insomnia- Stephen King
    15. Harry Potter- J.K. Rowling

John F. Kennedy rosered is on a distinguished road rosered's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

1.-The wind-up birt chronicle, Haruki Murakami.
    2-Harboiled wonderland and the end of the world, Haruki Murakami.
    3.-Crime and punishment, Doestoevski.
    4.-Breakfast at Tiffany's, Truman Capote.
    5.- Complete fictions, Jorge Luis Borges.
    6.-Knowledge of hell, Antonio Lobo Antunes.
    7-Tropic of cancer, Henry Miller.
    8.-The great Gatsby, Fitzgerald.
    9.-Tales, Edgar Allan Poe.
    10.-Throught the looking grass and what Alice found there, Lewis Carroll.
    11.-The angel of shadows, Ernesto Sábato.
    12.-Rayuela, Julio Cortazar.
    13.-Q&A, Viras Swarup.
    14.-Harry Potter series.
    14.- The Dark Tower series.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, late participant, but I can get behind this. Here we go!!!

My "Top 15 Books":

1. Lord of the Rings
    2. The Hobbit
    3. A Big Front Yard, Clifford Simak (Short Story)
    4. The Foundation books, Isaac Asimov
    5. The Dark Towe seriesr, S. King
    6. Dracula, Bram Stoker
    7. Swan Song, Robert McGammon
    8. Seven Deadly Sins Books, Lawrence Saunders
    9. The Exorcist books, William Peter Blatty
    10 Jaws, Peter Benchely
    11. The Godfather, Mario Puzo
    12. I, Robot series, Isaac Asimov
    13. Floating Dragon, Peter Straub
    14. Salem's Lot, S. King
    15. The Talisman/Black House, S. King/Peter Straub

Can I get an "Honorable mention? The Passage, Justin Brooks
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    9. The Exorcist books, William Peter Blatty

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The Works of J.D. Salinger (Cheap, I know, but who wants to take up more spaces?)
    The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut
    The Dark Tower by Stephen King
    Harry Potter by JK Rowling
    East of Eden by John Steinbeck
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by michael Chabon
    The Boy Detective Fails by Joe Meno
    Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azzerad
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
    His Dark materials by Phillip Pullman
    It by Stephen King
    Rant by Chuck Palahniuk
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac
    VALIS by Philip K Dick
    Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Gunslinger Apprentice MPatrick is on a distinguished road MPatrick's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

1. Dark tower - Stephen King
    2. Replay - Ken Grimwood
    3. 1776 - David McCullough
    4. Charm School - Nelson DeMille
    5. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
    6. Salems Lot - King
    7. The Stand - King
    8. It - King
    9. Alienist - Caleb Carr
    10. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
    11. American Gods - Neil Gaiman
    12. Good Omens - Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett
    13. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
    14. The Shining - King
    15. Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I like seeing Replay there. That's one of my favorites.

John

Traveler redrose is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

1. DT - stephen King
    2. Lord of the rings - JRR Tolkien
    3. The forgotten soldier- Guy sayer
    4. all quiet on the Western front - Erich Maria Remarque
    5. Eragorn- Christopher Paolini
    6.For whom the bells tolls- Hemingway
    7. Minswap- Robert Sheckley
    8. The samurai- Shusaku Endo