Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the better director ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peter Jackson

16 55.17%
  • Hayao Miyazaki

13 44.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TDGT - Round 2 - Peter Jackson vs Hayao Miyazaki

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I care nothing for cinematic impact. ( Feev, I can concede that they've had a rather strong impact, but then the question becomes was it a worthwhile impact.) I just go based on my own little opinion of the movie(s) itself. Essentially I feel the same way about this series as everyone knows by now that I feel about TDT...it should not have been made into a film/s at all. That aside I found it monumentally boring....no amount of visuals and special effects could cover that up for me. In fact I've never made it through all three movies and I gave my copies away so I wouldn't. I don't feel like torturing myself. This is from a person however who is basically completely dismissive of film/art/music and literary criticism. The aesthetic value of art belongs solely to the individual. I like what I like and that's it. I am not even gonna' pretend that I'm trying to be objective here....in fact I rarely am.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I care nothing for cinematic impact. ( Feev, I can concede that they've had a rather strong impact, but then the question becomes was it a worthwhile impact.) I just go based on my own little opinion of the movie(s) itself. Essentially I feel the same way about this series as everyone knows by now that I feel about TDT...it should not have been made into a film/s at all. That aside I found it monumentally boring....no amount of visuals and special effects could cover that up for me. In fact I've never made it through all three movies and I gave my copies away so I wouldn't. I don't feel like torturing myself. This is from a person however who is basically completely dismissive of film/art/music and literary criticism. I like what I like and that's it. I am not even gonna' pretend that I'm trying to be objective here....in fact I rarely am.
    very well spoken, as usual

I don't feel like torturing myself.
    I do, but I'd rather it was meant by the director of a movie I watch.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Exactly!

Thank you!

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Had to go with Jackson ...

... and I don't mean to sound flippant ( okay, maybe I do, just a little ) but how hard is it to direct animated characters?
    It's not only directing the characters - virtually every character, location, and event within the film stemmed from Miyazaki's imagination. It's the power of his imagination coupled with his ability to weave coming-of-age stories into the fabric of his films that make him such a great director.
    ...and then you watch The Lovely Bones.
    Certainly the difference in media does complicate this question.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post

... and I don't mean to sound flippant ( okay, maybe I do, just a little ) but how hard is it to direct animated characters?
    It's not only directing the characters - virtually every character, location, and event within the film stemmed from Miyazaki's imagination. It's the power of his imagination coupled with his ability to weave coming-of-age stories into the fabric of his films that make him such a great director.
    But Miyazaki didn't direct The Lovely Bones ...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I care nothing for cinematic impact. ( Feev, I can concede that they've had a rather strong impact, but then the question becomes was it a worthwhile impact.) I just go based on my own little opinion of the movie(s) itself. Essentially I feel the same way about this series as everyone knows by now that I feel about TDT...it should not have been made into a film/s at all. That aside I found it monumentally boring....no amount of visuals and special effects could cover that up for me. In fact I've never made it through all three movies and I gave my copies away so I wouldn't. I don't feel like torturing myself. This is from a person however who is basically completely dismissive of film/art/music and literary criticism. The aesthetic value of art belongs solely to the individual. I like what I like and that's it. I am not even gonna' pretend that I'm trying to be objective here....in fact I rarely am.
    In that case, I revise my original statement to the following : The reason that the films had such an indelible impact on modern cinema is because they are fantastic films.

And I can sympathize with you not embracing the films because you prefer the content in it's original medium , but for me the films are not meant as a substitute for the novels but rather as a luxurious compliment to them.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

feverish - I wouldn't like the point of what Brice said to be lost, and it isn't because he preferred the book, but -

<...>That aside I found it monumentally boring....no amount of visuals and special effects could cover that up for me. In fact I've never made it through all three movies and I gave my copies away so I wouldn't. <...>

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh I understood that, but I didn't pursue it because it can't be properly debated - if he found it boring .... well, he found it boring I see what bears are trying to say though.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

In that case, I revise my original statement to the following : The reason that the films had such an indelible impact on modern cinema is because they are fantastic films.

And I can sympathize with you not embracing the films because you prefer the content in it's original medium , but for me the films are not meant as a substitute for the novels but rather as a luxurious compliment to them.
    And I can appreciate and understand that. Some books I personally hold sacred though...making a film of them is equivalent to pissing on a christian's bible in my eyes. I realize it really takes nothing away and is usually intended to add on an intellectual level, but emotionally it is repulsive to me.

Jesus, Allah and twenty other random deities together couldn't have made them fantastic, imo.

I've actually decided I can't vote for Jackson because of these films. I did love Dead Alive though. I'm sure Mr. Jackson will be okay without my vote.

With all that said I can separate the films from the books. I just found them mediocre at the good parts.

If you rescue me

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

But Miyazaki didn't direct The Lovely Bones ...
    Are you really not seeing my point at all, or was this response some joke that I'm just not getting?

... I am not even gonna' pretend that I'm trying to be objective here...
    ... I revise my original statement to the following: The reason that the films had such an indelible impact on modern cinema is because they are fantastic films. ...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

What is it?

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Huh?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Path - Yeah I know what you meant, just giving ya a hard time

Country
    Country Flag

it was a "Pfft", Brice, with which "Pfft" I wholeheartedly concur

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Huh?
    Oh, I was just confused briefly. My mind broke.

If you rescue me

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Miyazaki.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I've never seen a Mayazaki film, but I wouldn't even put Jackson in my top 50 for directors. I've liked some of his stuff, but.. I just don't want to vote for him so I'm out of this one.
    Remedy this as soon as possible. I'm not kidding. I'll never speak to you again if you don't. Start with Princess Mononoke and/or Spirited Away.
    Yes, I agree with Feev. I'd also recommend Howl's Moving Castle. Honestly I think you'd really enjoy them Brice.
    Howl's Moving Castle, Bricey.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, when I can get them. My list of movies to watch is getting long.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Those don't matter. Only Hiyazaki matters

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

The truth is above this post.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    The truth is above this post.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Path - Yeah I know what you meant, just giving ya a hard time
    Ah-HAH!! Just as I suspected. (Ern... I'll probably end up voting for Miyazaki, anyway. Jackson HAS made some good films, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    it was a "Pfft", Brice, with which "Pfft" I wholeheartedly concur
    Uh, yeah... feev seemed quite willing to pretend that he was trying to be objective. Pfft.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's funny that I should defend the LotR films so vigorously, when I actually voted for Miyazaki

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

...it should not have been made into a film/s at all.
    Wow, I literally can't imagine my life without The Lord of the Rings films. They've had such a positive impact on my life. They helped get me through some especially tough times and gave me a place to escape to.

I'm sure you realize that millions of people disagree with you, some of which are people who hold the books as close to their hearts as you do.

Another thing that you must realize is that the films led millions of people to read the books, myself included.

Do you want to know the most ironic thing? After I finished the movies/books, I was looking to go on a similar adventure. Somebody told me to read Stephen King's The Gunslinger.

As you can imagine, my love for The Dark Tower led me here, where I have met countless good friends, including you Brice.

If those films had never been made, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Now that would be a shame.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, for this ALONE I'm glad they were made.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    ...I have met countless good friends, including you Brice.

If those films had never been made, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Now that would be a shame.
    Okay, for this ALONE I'm glad they were made.
    That was ... beautiful ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast