Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which two will advance to the next round ?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Wachowski Brothers

1 3.85%
  • Christopher Nolan

8 30.77%
  • M. Night Shyamalan

3 11.54%
  • Ridley Scott

14 53.85%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Round 1, Group O

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default TGDT - Round 1, Group O

The Wachowski Brother's IMDB Page

Notable films : Bound, The Matrix, The Matrix : Reloaded, The Matrix : Revolutions, Speed Racer

Christopher Nolan's IMDB Page

Notable films : Memento,Inception, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, The Prestige

M. Night Shyamalan's IMDB Page

Notable fims : The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable , The Village, Lady in the Water

Ridley Scott's IMDB Page

Notable fims : Alien, Gladiator , Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Shyamalan

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Scott is one of the best ever.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

harsh!!!

I have to go Nolan, just because i have not seen a bad film of his, but unfortunatley i have of the others

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

darn you had to put both the Wachowski Brothers with M. Night Shyamalan....can't decide......

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Christopher Nolan, currently my favorite director.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Shyamalan is by no means terrible but imo he's only had two excellent movies, Sixth Sense and The Happening. Signs and Unbreakable are good. Haven't seen Village and I heard Lady In The Water was just pure trash.

I love Ridley Scott. Matchstick Men is my favourite movie of his. But I think Christopher Nolan has been the best thing to happen to movies in the last ten years. As good as Scott is, he never stood out as the best of a generation where Nolan easily has.

Going with Nolan.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Mr. Scott (yes, I said Mr.)
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Nolan
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I'm really surprised M. Night has two votes. He burst onto the scene with Sixth Sense and had a great followup with Unbreakable, but it's been downhill since then.

In fact, with his latest bomb, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see his name for a little while.

Mattrick, you have to explain to me what you thought was excellent about The Happening (18% on Rotten Tomatoes.) I thought it was one of the worst films I've seen in ten years.

It's funny how Feev put M. Night and Nolan in the same bracket. Two careers that are going in two total opposite directions. M. Night's career once looked as promising as Nolan's current career. Sadly, I'm not sure if he can get it back.

Went with Nolan.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Scott
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nolan is, undoubtedly, one of the best directors currently out there. He brought Batman back from being something of a joke at the movies to hugely respected films in their own right, and Inception is one of the best scifi films of the past ten years.

But are any of those quite as groundbreaking as either Alien or Blade Runner? I'm gonna have to say no. With Alien, not only did Ridley Scott direct what is in my mind one of the best horror films ever made, he also pushed the way forward even further than Lucas did with the use of special effects in storytelling. (Not that Lucas's particularly over fond use of effects makes him a great director in the slightest, but with Star Wars at least he was able to tell a good story when he used those effects appropriately, and really knew how to make visual effects appealing to filmmakers. So we hate him for the prequels, but at least he inspired a ton of other great directors! )

Then, even better, he made Blade Runner, easily one of my favourite films of all time and to this day, looks absolutely fucking amazing (seriously, saw it at the cinema a couple of years ago in HD, and even after watching it a ton of times on DVD beforehand, it still amazed the hell out of me), and has one of the most complex and multi-layered plots I've seen. What really shows that Scott is a truly great director to me though is that Philip K. Dick absolutely hated the screenplay of Blade Runner. When he actually saw some footage of the film and saw it matched his vision, or at least was close to it, he gave Ridley Scott his full backing.

In my opinion, that's a sign of a great director. It's one thing to translate a great screenplay and turn it into a great film. It's another to take a completely shit screenplay and turn that into a great film instead! So Scott definitely gets my vote!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Nolan is, undoubtedly, one of the best directors currently out there. He brought Batman back from being something of a joke at the movies to hugely respected films in their own right, and Inception is one of the best scifi films of the past ten years.

But are any of those quite as groundbreaking as either Alien or Blade Runner? I'm gonna have to say no. With Alien, not only did Ridley Scott direct what is in my mind one of the best horror films ever made, he also pushed the way forward even further than Lucas did with the use of special effects in storytelling. (Not that Lucas's particularly over fond use of effects makes him a great director in the slightest, but with Star Wars at least he was able to tell a good story when he used those effects appropriately, and really knew how to make visual effects appealing to filmmakers. So we hate him for the prequels, but at least he inspired a ton of other great directors! )

Then, even better, he made Blade Runner, easily one of my favourite films of all time and to this day, looks absolutely fucking amazing (seriously, saw it at the cinema a couple of years ago in HD, and even after watching it a ton of times on DVD beforehand, it still amazed the hell out of me), and has one of the most complex and multi-layered plots I've seen. What really shows that Scott is a truly great director to me though is that Philip K. Dick absolutely hated the screenplay of Blade Runner. When he actually saw some footage of the film and saw it matched his vision, or at least was close to it, he gave Ridley Scott his full backing.

In my opinion, that's a sign of a great director. It's one thing to translate a great screenplay and turn it into a great film. It's another to take a completely shit screenplay and turn that into a great film instead! So Scott definitely gets my vote!
    this
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been impressed with Nolan, expect him to do great things... though I haven't had a chance to see Inception yet.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ridley Scott, not questions about it.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    ... though I haven't had a chance to see Inception yet.
    You should remedy that asafp.

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it was between scott and nolan. nolan is the best, but i voted scott because of blade runner. i couldnt vote against it
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Says the man who loves awesome shows and awesome storytelling and yet hasn't seen a single episode of Doctor Who!

Seriously, with all the hype and the discussion across this board, I think pathoftheturtle is at least slightly aware that Inception is certainly a highly popular film atm, but just remember that overhype can kill an interest in a film. I know that even though Christopher Nolan has directed two of the best Batman films ever, I was not only skeptical that another film focused on dreams could work (since I've seen it explored plenty of times in both a ton of scifi shows and films like the Matrix), but also a bit put off that, with all the huge critical attention it was getting, I'd have too high expectations that it wouldn't live up to the hype. It was only through recommendations on this board (most of which by you, feev!) that I finally decided to take notice. Still, I couldn't help try to be critical, just a little bit, just because I was so sure it couldn't live up to the hype, but it was too good for that.

Then again, I'm an idiot, especially when it comes to films, since I really haven't seen that many, or at least not as many as a lot of film fans on this board, so I'm sure someone can nitpick better, even as great a film as Inception, and then it'll become easy to focus on one particular tiny thing until it becomes your main point for saying "this film sucks" just because everyone else thinks it's great.

However, maybe I'm just petty like that, but it's worth keeping in mind: too much hype can really kill interest. That's why I limit my mentions and recommendations to people who haven't seen Doctor Who to watch it (including you, feev) to about, ooh, only 10 times a day!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Says the man who loves awesome shows and awesome storytelling and yet hasn't seen a single episode of Doctor Who!

Seriously, with all the hype and the discussion across this board, I think pathoftheturtle is at least slightly aware that Inception is certainly a highly popular film atm, but just remember that overhype can kill an interest in a film. I know that even though Christopher Nolan has directed two of the best Batman films ever, I was not only skeptical that another film focused on dreams could work (since I've seen it explored plenty of times in both a ton of scifi shows and films like the Matrix), but also a bit put off that, with all the huge critical attention it was getting, I'd have too high expectations that it wouldn't live up to the hype. It was only through recommendations on this board (most of which by you, feev!) that I finally decided to take notice. Still, I couldn't help try to be critical, just a little bit, just because I was so sure it couldn't live up to the hype, but it was too good for that. ...
    Um... actually, I've just not had time and $ for it... and feev's suggestion, to me, was hil-f'n-arious.
    Thx, tho, DD.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears can't watch Inception now, either... don't know how long they will have to wait...

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*Bump

Country
    Country Flag

here, at least, the result is pretty obvious, I don't think anything will drastically change at the 11th hour

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Nolan. A hundred times.
    I haven't seen The Inception yet. But, Memento is great. Ah, and there is The Dark Knight also.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Nolan. A hundred times.
    I haven't seen The Inception yet. But, Memento is great. Ah, and there is The Dark Knight also.
    I you to infinity and beyond.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Oh yay! So glad that one of the entries that didn't win didn't win.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast