Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 159 of 160 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 3999

Thread: What are you watching right now?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    THE BOYS... it’s the best show on TV right now
    Bro, how dope was that S2 finale?

Also, I completely forgot that I A) was subscribed to Kindle Unlimited, and B) had downloaded all issues of The Boys graphic novel series about a year ago. The books are like 10x more perverse and sadistic than the show. I recommend you checking it out if you're looking to delve deeper into that world.
    Just unreal. This show could not be better... Homelander fuckin rules. He did in Banshee too... but fuck that ending?!! Just as good as season 1!!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I couldn't do it either. Maybe it's one of those shows that you had to get it on the ground floor (i.e watching it when it first aired), but the melodrama was just too much for me sometimes. The mystery was engaging but everything else around it didn't click with me.
    So, I know what you mean, and that tone is very much not David Lynch. It may have been a commentary on the time, when primetime soap operas were still really popular; a hangover from the 80s, perhaps.

I think the premise he was working with was that we have what looks like a fairly run of the mill soap opera, with a basic mystery at its heart, but there’s something deep, dark and very strange behind it all. The melodramatic parts were very much a deliberate decision to tap into that soap opera vibe, I think.

There are also shots of a soap opera playing on TV in the series itself. But I’m not sure whether this is supposed to be Frost and Lynch showing their hand, saying “this is what we’re doing“, or whether the soap opera on the television is supposed to be a contrast to the series containing it. For example, while some scenes are melodramatic, others are almost too realistic for a soap opera-the way that Laura’s mother more or less falls apart for the rest of the series after Laura’s death, for example.

Unfortunately, will never really know what Frost and Lynch originally intended for the first two seasons, because they were forced to reveal the killer early in season two. I think that derailed their intentions completely. And Lynch never explains meaning behind his work.

That’s one thing I find fascinating about season three, because I think it’s giving Lynch the opportunity to re-introduce some ideas that he had had for the original series.

HBJ
    This is exactly it. He was both spoofing the soap opera and using it to draw in mainstream audiences so he could lead them down his weird path. It worked because people like my mom watched. She likes crime shows but not weird shows.

I have read in numerous places that Lynch NEVER wanted to reveal the murderer. He wanted to keep leading people down his weird path while focusing on these odd characters that he created. It's a shame that the network forced his hand too early but I am glad the murder was resolved. Otherwise we would have never got Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.

BTW, for those of you that tried Twin Peaks and couldn't get through the melodrama, watch Fire Walk with Me. It has the weirdness and horror but a lot less soap. It basically retells the events leading to the murder from the victim's point of view. You get two seasons' worth of discoveries in two hours of it just being shown to you. Obviously don't do this if you ever want to try the series again because the surprises will be ruined.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been curious about Fire Walk With Me for a while, wondering if I should give it a shot. Where is it streaming?

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I started watching BB for the first time a few months back. Got through the first 2 episodes and just never went back to it. Some day...

Currently I'm burning through Halt and Catch Fire on Netflix. I'm not sure why I never got into it when it was on AMC. I saw the previews for it all the time and thought it looked interesting. It really hits 2 of the things I like. Computers and retro 80's. It sort of feels like Silicon Valley meets Wargames. I'm already almost through season 2.
    FWIW, I was watching an episode last night and one of the main characters was shown sleeping and then waking up with her head on an open book.

The book was Gerald's Game.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I know I sound like a broken record, but you guys have to check out The Good Lord Bird. Fantastic show and Ethan Hawke is turning in the best performance of his career.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

First two episodes of Queen's Gambit have been excellent.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Along the Path of the Beam Jerrika has a spectacular aura about Jerrika has a spectacular aura about Jerrika's Avatar

I'm watching The big Bang Theory. Somehow it's become my favorite show.
    "Sometimes dead is better." ~ Jud Crandall

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrika View Post
    The first few seasons were really good, but once the show evolved, it grew tiresome.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    The first few seasons were really good, but once the show evolved, it grew tiresome.
    I loved it right to the end. Never grew tired cause that was me growing up.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

That reminds me: I really need to rewatch Spaced again. I don’t think any sitcom captured geek culture as well as that show did (with the possible exception of Community).
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah. I don't understand all the hate it gets.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

I can't think of a show more deserving of being launched into a dark oblivion so that mankind as a whole can be spared from ever having knowledge of its existence than Big Bang Theory.

On a side note, though I'd seen it before I wasn't really a watcher, but I just wrapped up watching The Office. Definitely a solid show all the way through. It loses a little something in Season 8 when Carrell leaves the show, but i thought Season 9 was excellent and I didn't feel it was missing anything. The finale was really strong. The documentary aspect of the show really allowed from some pretty unique retrospection on behalf of the characters...often times sitcom characters get suddenly start philosophizing in the final episode, but since the characters have a diegetic reason for doing it, it works really well.

I'd say it rounds out my top 5 comedy shows, knocking Eastbound and Down to the #6 spot.

1. Frasier
    2. Seinfeld
    3. Arrested Development
    4. Schitt's Creek
    5. The Office

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe because:

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy it, I have watched most of the seasons and liked them. But it's good to acknowledge flaws in our media and be critical of them.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Maybe because:

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy it, I have watched most of the seasons and liked them. But it's good to acknowledge flaws in our media and be critical of them.

My problem is the characters suck and there are like 3 jokes repeat ad naseum, and they were never funny the first time. It doesn't surprise me the show has issues with misogyny either considering the entirety of the Raj character boils down to "He's foreign so it's funny".

Also this video is fantastic.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I don't hate BBT, but I've never really found it very funny, even in an "I can relate to that" way. The characters, while representing nerd culture, always seemed to be a slightly exaggerated/cartoony representation. And even when I could identify with the characters, the humor seemed to be derived from laughing at their reactions, rather than laughing with them. Or their behaviour was so cringey that I didn't want to identify with them, even when I did. It was like looking at my own past, at events best forgotten. Or at behaviour I never engaged in at all.

One example of the former is when Penny gave Sheldon a napkin signed (and used) by Leonard Nimoy. Sheldon loves the signature, but his mind is blown when he realizes that he has Leonard Nimoy's DNA. Audience laughs - but I reacted the same way as Sheldon did, and so didn't find it funny. Having Leonard Nimoy's DNA is kind of mind-blowing - in a non-creepy way, that is.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished the mini series on Netflix Challenger: The Final Flight. I enjoyed it but most likely due to having watched it live on TV in '86. It's a good series (4 episodes at about 50 minutes long each) and it goes into the whole cover up on the "O" rings. They even have interviews with the two guys that gave the green light to launch (these two have ZERO remorse! UGH.) They also have interviews with two engenderers at the manufacturer who advised to NOT launch below 53 degrees F (11.7C) and the one who blew the whistle to Sally Ride (the fools launched at 36F (2C.) after clearing icicles off the vehicle and the launch tower.
    A very good series but I'm not sure just how much of my enjoyment was nostalgia.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Celebrating Doctor Who Day by watching the documentary drama An Adventure in Space and Time. Such a wonderful film about the creation of the show. Highly recommended, even if you’ve never watched the series.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Watched the first episode of Big Sky last night...WOW. If they can continue to keep the writing fresh and the viewer guessing? Great series possibly.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I know I sound like a broken record, but you guys have to check out The Good Lord Bird. Fantastic show and Ethan Hawke is turning in the best performance of his career.
    Mark Richard is an amazing talent
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Watched the first episode of Big Sky last night...WOW. If they can continue to keep the writing fresh and the viewer guessing? Great series possibly.
    Watched the second episode of Big Sky tonight, fun show so far. Part predictable and then shocking at times. The bad guy is a great choice for this one.
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

Watched the second episode of Big Sky tonight, fun show so far. Part predictable and then shocking at times. The bad guy is a great choice for this one.
    so worth a watch ?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Reviews are mixed but it is entertaining. Watch the entire 1st episode and tell me your thoughts. It is fun and unpredictable.
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I might give it a shot. I'm pretty over network dramas, but it sounds interesting.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Started watching Ratched the other day. Love it! It's very reminiscent of Alfred Hitchcock's films. The music, lighting, and filming. Really well done. Only have 2 episodes left.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 159 of 160 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 LastLast