Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 160 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 139 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching right now?

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Watching Right Now: Episode 1 of Trigun

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    Watching Right Now: Episode 1 of Trigun

Watching Right Now: Snatch.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Watching Right Now: Snatch.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I hope this means you'll be watching Withnail & I finally, Heather!

- Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

watching: Life on Mars

and enjoying it tremendously

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Again: yes!!!

This one, I honestly wasn't entirely sure you'd enjoy as much as my other recommendations, Jean. I remember how much you enjoyed Lost which, whilst it isn't in my personal top 5 shows, is one I liked watching at least, I wasn't sure how you'd react to another show with an ongoing mystery element. (Obviously, as you know, there's a lot more to it than that, but still couldn't be sure.)

Or maybe the fact that I was a little afraid that the test card girl signature I had a while back might've mislead you to what the show is generally like.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying what is possibly my 2nd favourite show of all time, anyway! Later tonight, I'll finally watch Cul-de-Sac!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You mean the creepy-ass test card girl with her clown? I hated her....with a passion. But the show, yes...the show itself is brilliant! It's something I aim to get on DVD at some point (hopefully soon!)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Did you not like her with her clown?
    I can see she made you frown.
    When on Earth will all this end?
    I'm your friend, your only friend...

...that's watched Life on Mars in full, anyway, but it's great to have bears amongst us Gene Hunt fans!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

okay...that's creepy. Thanks for the no sleep tonight, Dodge

but I am glad you are enjoying it, Jean! How far are you?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    okay...that's creepy. Thanks for the no sleep tonight, Dodge
    My pleasure!

Watching Right Now: Cul-de-Sac. The kind of film where from the opening credits, you know it's gonna be something very different and very interesting.

- Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The mystery element in Lost had nothing to do with my intense dislike of the show - generally speaking, the immediate content matters least of all as far as a movie (or a series) is concerned. The same way, if Life On Mars had as its premises an elderly lady rejoining her florist's club, it wouldn't matter to me. It's how it is done and what it is about - on a different level than the outer layer.

Life on Mars is one of the preciously rare TV shows that doesn't insult my intelligence. It addresses an audience other than junior high school, and abounds in subtleties. I love it. I love the dialog - the linguistic side always means a lot to me, and here it is developed to a perfection.

I already expressed elsewhere my unhappiness with the dialog in most American movies, those that are universally considered quotable. It always seems to me that some generic witty dialog is written by a team of authors and then sold to the studios wholesale; the lines are interchengeable from character to character, from film to film.

In Life on Mars, people say exactly what they, these particular characters, say in this particular situation, and it works perfectly well.

I may be able to say more when I have watched the rest of season 1

(the song - of course, DD, it kinda goes without saying!)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Cheers for the review, Jean, and you do raise several good points. Also, I think you're going to appreciate the psychological aspects of Sam's character, which whilst they aren't the focus of the show, are always there.

And the dialog: yes, I know exactly what you mean. Many of my favourite quotes from tv belong to this show. Specifically, they usually belong to Gene Hunt!

When I first heard about this show, it certainly grabbed my interest, both as a scifi fan and as a fan of 70s cop shows (particularly The Sweeney), so the idea of a modern day cop being confronted with more basic 70s methods really appealed to me. But, as you said, the fact that there is so much more depth to it is a massive reason I love it so much. It's a rare thing when I watch something initially for great entertainment and find something even better and deeper than that.

And I'm sure you're looking forward to the first appearance of the Test Card Girl soon, too!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if there is a Life on Mars thread somewhere

and if there isn't, shouldn't we make one?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Here you go, Jean:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...Ashes-to-Ashes

3 guesses who made the thread!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

who?... who?...

: bangs head against wall :

WHO?!!!!!!

: gives up, exhausted :

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Here you go, Jean:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...Ashes-to-Ashes

3 guesses who made the thread!
    Let me guess..the first two guesses don't count?

And why didn't I know about that thread? I've been a fan of the show for about 4 months, now...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I was thinking of mentioning it to ya, but I didn't want the slightest thing to ruin your experience. Also, I know what you're like with spoilers - they're all tagged in the thread, but I know how much you crave spoilers, sometimes!

Oh, and Jean, feel free to post any reviews or insight you have of the series as you continue watching it. Always great to know the opinions of a viewer new to the show - it's almost like watching the show for the first time all over again.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Precisely! of course I will post. I am looking forward to seeing today's portion (was interrupted last night, grrr...)

Gunslinger Apprentice deadohsky is on a distinguished road deadohsky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you guys! Thanks to the last few pages and raving comments i watched Withnail and I for the first time a couple days ago. Fantastic. So good in fact, i plan on watching it again tonight.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

How did I miss this earlier? Glad you loved it anyway, deadohsky! Yes, once you finish it, it does have that rare pull of wanting to re-watch it as soon as possible!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by deadohsky View Post
    Thank you guys! Thanks to the last few pages and raving comments i watched Withnail and I for the first time a couple days ago. Fantastic. So good in fact, i plan on watching it again tonight.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Watching Right Now: The Day Today.

Finding it very difficult to breathe by how fucking hysterical it is. Just sheer genius that, after 17 years, it still hasn't gotten old!

- Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice deadohsky is on a distinguished road deadohsky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How did I miss this earlier? Glad you loved it anyway, deadohsky! Yes, once you finish it, it does have that rare pull of wanting to re-watch it as soon as possible!
    No kidding. For whatever reason the feeling i had after finishing it was similar to what i felt after watching Lindsay Anderson's If.... for the first time. If you've never seen it i'd highly recommend it. After Stanley Kubrick saw Malcom McDowel as Mick Travis is when he approached him for A Clockwork Orange.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone out there a Haven watcher? I've watched about three episodes and it's interesting. It's supposed to be based on The Colorado Kid but the only characters I've seen so far from the book is the newspaper fogies.
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I am a Haven watcher, it good and it actually gets better the more you learn of the characters. It made me want to buy the Colorado Kid but its a fortune to buy so gave that up as a bad job

Let me know your thoughts lance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 160 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 139 ... LastLast