Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which two will advance to the next round ?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sam Mendes

5 23.81%
  • Steven Spielberg

9 42.86%
  • Ron Howard

5 23.81%
  • Kathryn Bigelow

2 9.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TGDT - Round 1, Group H

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

hmmm... and there I was wondering how Spielberg got to be nominated to begin with... well, tastes differ

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just when you think of all the movies he's made and you put them in a list, it's quite impressive.

Close Encounters
    Indiana Jones
    ET
    The Colour Purple
    Schindler's List
    Jaws
    Jurassic Park
    Hook
    A.I.
    Saving Private Ryan
    Minority Report
    War of the Worlds
    Munich
    Catch Me If You Can
    The Terminal
    Empire of the Sun

He gets credit on plenty of movies because he gets the executive credit and thus his name is on it but he doesn't have much to do with them, like Transformers. I can't say I've ever seen a bad Spielberg film no two of them are the same. Plus the guy brought us Saving Private Ryan, created the Medal of Honour VG Series and The Pacific which I've not yet watched but can't wait.

I'm not saying he is most artistic director out there. But he's been making great movies for almost thirty years that usually do as well critically as they do in the box office. Even if he is not the greatest director he is without the greatest filmmaker of all time. Clint Eastwood is second imo.

Spielbergs best films have definitely been the last five to ten years. Many of his older movies are classic films but are more fun/family romps like Indiana Jones, E.T. and Hook.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Poltergeist
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I hate when I forget the deadline.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    To have a fair Greatest Director contest... Someone should not get credit for works they produced or wrote or such just because they are connected to them in the public mind. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Lucas is only getting votes because of people's knee-jerk Star Wars fanboy response. Truth be told, he is an excellent producer and a horrible director. ...
    Yar: What he said.
    I bet this will be an isolated case though. I skimmed through the list and don't see where else this could happen...
    ORELY
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    ...(Spielberg) gets credit on plenty of movies because he gets the executive credit and thus his name is on it but he doesn't have much to do with them, like Transformers. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Poltergeist

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

To have a fair Greatest Director contest... Someone should not get credit for works they produced or wrote or such just because they are connected to them in the public mind. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Lucas is only getting votes because of people's knee-jerk Star Wars fanboy response. Truth be told, he is an excellent producer and a horrible director. ...
    Yar: What he said.
    I bet this will be an isolated case though. I skimmed through the list and don't see where else this could happen...
    ORELY
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    ...(Spielberg) gets credit on plenty of movies because he gets the executive credit and thus his name is on it but he doesn't have much to do with them, like Transformers. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Poltergeist
    What? I'm not following you?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I believe that path, just like bears, doesn't think much about Spielberg, Brice.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So Path, do you not feel that people are voting for Spielberg based on Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, Jaws.... Those are all really solid films in my opinion.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I believe that path, just like bears, doesn't think much about Spielberg, Brice.
    Like him or not Poltergeist was a great fun horror movie.

If you rescue me

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Um... folks, Steven didn't direct Poltergeist ( at least not officially, though he was a constant on the set ) ... it was directed by Toby Hooper. Just sayin'.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    So Path, do you not feel that people are voting for Spielberg based on Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, Jaws.... Those are all really solid films in my opinion.
    People may have, but Mattrick and Brice were also talking about other films. I think it's worth mentioning again that directing is a specific discipline.
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    ...Steven didn't direct Poltergeist ...
    Exactly.

And in any case, to hear it said that "Spielberg is the greatest director of all time." simply blows my mind. No way.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

There will be a tie breaker thread for Mendes and Howard.
    Um...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Patience, grasshopper, patience

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2