Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which two will advance to the next round ?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sam Mendes

5 23.81%
  • Steven Spielberg

9 42.86%
  • Ron Howard

5 23.81%
  • Kathryn Bigelow

2 9.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Round 1, Group H

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default TGDT - Round 1, Group H

Sam Mendes's IMDB Page

Notable films : American Beauty, Revolutionary Road, Jarhead, Road to Perdition

Steven Spielberg's IMDB Page

Notable films : Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws

Ron Howard's IMDB Page

Notable films : A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13, Cinderella Man, Willow

Kathryn Bigelow's IMDB Page

Notable films : The Hurt Locker, Strange Days, Point Break

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sam Mendes
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spielberg. This was a tough call, but I really think he has a better win/loss record.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Sam Mendes
    Bears hesitated between him and Howard, and in the end went with Howard; bears love A Beautiful Mind. (Anyone but Spielberg, anyway...)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Crap!

Another tough one for me.

I love Kathryn Bigelow's work - I love it. Near Dark?!? Anyone?! Freaking awesome vampire movie. And Hurt Locker? And Strange Days!!? If she only had a larger body of work, I think for sure she'd stand out, even in this group.

I love Ron Howard, he's got some great stuff. Apollo 13 is one of my favorite movies. And don't forget Parenthood, a wonderful ensemble cast and movie.

And Spielberg is just amazing. He's iconic and nearly flawless. Grrrrrr. I'm tempted to vote for one of the others since I know Spielberg will do well.

Gonna hold off on this one for a bit, too.

ETA : Oh well. I decided to go with Bigelow! I know, I know, but I think Spielberg is going to get through - he should get through, and Kathryn Bigelow deserves some props. So, I'm giving them to her.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mendes is flawless and awesome.

My Mood
    Gay

pablo - I didn't think Jarhead was good at all. Excellent cast, but the movie just didn't work. That's primarily why I didn't consider Mendes.... not with these other choices.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Since Spielberg is sure to pass, I voted for Mendes based on the strength of American Beauty and Road to Perdition, the latter considered as one of the best graphic novel movies ever made.

I can't wait to see what brings to the Bond franchise.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Since Spielberg is sure to pass, I voted for Mendes based on the strength of American Beauty and Road to Perdition, the latter considered as one of the best graphic novel movies ever made.
    You should definitely check out Revolutionary Road at some point.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Away We Go was also a great movie by Mendes, but I guess it sorta slipped under the radar for most people.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I went with Ron Howard... I loved A Beautiful Mind as well, Jean!

Parenthood is a movie I can watch over and over!

"I thought somebody in this house should be having sex, at least with something that doesn't require batteries."

or

"As for the movies, well, I can assume that you're interested in sex... or filmaking."
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Voted for Bigelow because of Near Dark.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Mendes.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

another couple of votes for Ron Howard, anyone? we might be faced with another tie

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Voted for Bigelow because of Near Dark.
    Thank you!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*bump

I'm nervous for Mendes. I really hope he moves on.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm actually surprised Bigelow has 2 votes. Besides The Hurt Locker, she doesn't exactly have a laundry list of great films.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ...went with Howard; bears love A Beautiful Mind. (Anyone but Spielberg, anyway...)
    My sentiments exactly.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ...went with Howard; bears love A Beautiful Mind. (Anyone but Spielberg, anyway...)
    My sentiments exactly.
    this is really, really good to hear!

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm actually surprised Bigelow has 2 votes. Besides The Hurt Locker, she doesn't exactly have a laundry list of great films.
    Well, Hurt Locker was amazing. Near Dark is great and though some people didn't enjoy it, I thought Strange Days was excellent. Point Break is visually impressive ( the cast is horrible, though ). Blue Steel is just bad, but Jamie Lee Curtis is very gorgeous in it.

Not a fan of the Widowmaker, though ... and I like sub movies.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*bump

This poll is closing today ! Let's get those votes in !

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Spielberg advances !

There will be a tie breaker thread for Mendes and Howard.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

What it is that I find offensive about Spielberg is that he makes all of his films so inoffensive.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Spielberg is the greatest director of all time. Guy can make any movie he wants, in any genre, with any talent, and make it work. He's created some of the most beloved and iconic movies of all time. From Jaws to ET to Jurassic Park to Schindler's List and Munich. He is simply fantastic, he knows how to make a great movie regardless of the content. Not many directors can genre hop the way Spielberg can and not miss a step.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast