Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: House of Leaves

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

Well, I'm not very far through it, but it's really excellent so far. A lot of what's in the Whalestone Letters is also in the Apendix II. But I'd still like to have that companion because it has more stuff in there. Lucky you for having it. The stuff from The Whalestone letters that was in the Apendix was really pretty awesome. Really trippy stuff. Have you started on this thing yet?
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.

My friend and I decoded the Whalestone letter dated May, 8 1987. Here it is:

Dearest johnny,
    They have found a way to break me, rape a fifty six year old bag of bones. There is no worse and don't believe otherwise. The attendants do it. Others do it. Not every day, not every week, maybe not even every month. But they do it. Someone I don't know always comes. When it's dark. Late. I've learned not to scream, screaming gave me hope and unanswered hope is shattered hope. Think of your Haitian. It is far saner to choose rape than shattered hope. So I submit and I drift. I let a price and a certain degree of free association take me away. Sometimes I'm still away long after it's done, after he's gone, the stranger, the attendant, the custodian, the janitor, cleaning man, waiting man, dirty man, the night tidying up after him. I'm in hell, giving in to heaven, where I sometimes think of your beautiful father with his dreamy wings, and only then do I allow myself to cry. Not because your mother was raped again, but because she loved so much what she could never have been allowed to keep. Such a silly girl. You must save me, Johnny. In the name of your father I must escape this place or I will die. I love you so much. You are all I have.

P.

We also figured out that there are random capital letters throughout the letter. When the capitals that aren't supposed to be capitalized are put together, they spell:

A FACE IN A CLOUD NO TRACE IN THE CROWD

Using long passages for -(dash) and short passages for . (dot), we discovered a code beginning on page 97, which says "SOS" from The Navidson Record, and from Johnny Truants footnotes, "FUCK", and "BUTTONS". Wikipedia has a few secret messages, including one from the whalestoe letters, appearing on page 615, apparently addressing Zampon, saying, "My dear Zampano, who did you lose?" And I think that is indeed a very good question. Anyone have any ideas? I'm still reading the novel. I'm on page 414, so if it's something I'll find out later, don't tell me. If it's something I have already missed and not noticed, by all means.

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by woodpryan View Post
    Well, I'm not very far through it, but it's really excellent so far. A lot of what's in the Whalestone Letters is also in the Apendix II. But I'd still like to have that companion because it has more stuff in there. Lucky you for having it. The stuff from The Whalestone letters that was in the Apendix was really pretty awesome. Really trippy stuff. Have you started on this thing yet?
    Not started it yet. I have a tonnoe to read for uni but since I am a bit ahead of myself, I think I might start this week.

On page 502, Johnny Truant is talking about his mother and what she would say if she were there at that moment.
    "Beware," she might have whispered. "Another holy other lessens your great hold on slowing time," as she would have described it...
    The quote from his mother translates to "Beware, a holy ghost."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2