1 11.11%
  • Brave New World – Aldous Huxley

3 33.33%
  • The Prestige – Christopher Priest

2 22.22%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Third Book of 2010

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is it too late to nominate?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I don't think so, Ricky.

Toss in your pick !
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok then, I nominate The Prestige by Christopher Priest (I'd nominate a different one, but copies are difficult to come by). I can count on one hand how many people I know who read Priest's work, so I figured I'd try and share it with you all.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Ok then, I nominate The Prestige by Christopher Priest (I'd nominate a different one, but copies are difficult to come by). I can count on one hand how many people I know who read Priest's work, so I figured I'd try and share it with you all.
    Is the movie The Prestige based on this book?

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

ok peoples thanks for all your nominations

i am giving it till Friday night and then will get the info together and ask the resident bear to put me a vote up

Cheers for all the nominations, this has been a good one

sorry jean should ask first.............jean please

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Yup, but it's totally different from the movie. It's the only film adaptation of a novel that I can say is equally as amazing as the novel, though both are strictly different.

Even if it's not chosen for Libro #3, read it; you're doing yourself a favor.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

honeycandy: you're the President, everything is entirely up to you my sweet!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

Yup, but it's totally different from the movie. It's the only film adaptation of a novel that I can say is equally as amazing as the novel, though both are strictly different.

Even if it's not chosen for Libro #3, read it; you're doing yourself a favor.
    Thank goodness it's different, because honestly - I hated the movie.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think I can talk to you anymore.

Once again:
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Gay

I don't think I can talk to you anymore.

Once again:
    Over acted.
    Over directed.
    Bad script.
    I'm sorry, did we see different movies?
    It had all the nuance of an anvil hitting you over the head.

Country
    Country Flag

I think we must have, because I disagree with everything up there. Maybe I should start a discussion thread, as I'd love to hear more of why you didn't like it.

I can take you hating on the Titanic (I mean, because of your childhood boating accident and all) but The Prestige? I wish you were playing Wolves with us so I could lynch you.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Lynching Pam is not allowed. Really it's a safety issue.
    Spoiler:
    ...yours
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Lynching Pam is not allowed. Really it's a safety issue.
    Spoiler:
    ...yours
    Yeah? Well...
    Spoiler:
    she told me your a wolf.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If I am I'm a dead wolf.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

And who do you think is the cause of that? Just sayin'.

And holy crap, we have gone way off topic.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't hate that film, personally, but I am certainly not shocked, either, by anyone who did. It's really not so great.

Country
    Country Flag

It seems to either be a love or hate, for the most part.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I get that film mixed up with The Illusionist, because I saw them at about the same time. I cant remember which one is which, exactly, but I know that I liked one, and didnt care much about the other.

Which one was about the childhood sweethearts that were separated and then rejoined through the magicians act later in the movie?

Thats the one I liked.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Which one was about the childhood sweethearts that were separated and then rejoined through the magicians act later in the movie?
    With Edward Norton? That's The Illusionist.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep Edward Norton, thats it. Honestly, I don't think I remember The Prestige. I might have to revisit it. I would definitely read it though. Even if I didn't like the movie, as I don't judge a book by its movie.....at all.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well you have me intrigued. I might have to pick that one up soon.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

A NEW GAME BEGINS

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It seems to either be a love or hate, for the most part.
    Well... I do kind of hate how some people seem to love it so much... lol.
    I would like to read the book, though, now that you mention it.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for all the nominations people, i am going to ask the resident bear to put me up a voting thingymebob!

The nominations are;

A Game Of Thrones – George RR Martin
    Trick Baby; Story of the White Negor – Iceberg Slim
    A lesson before dying – Ernest J Gaines
    Lord Valentines Castle – Robert Silverberg
    Fevre Dream – G R R Martin
    What Dreams May Come - Richard Matheson
    Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
    The Prestige – Christopher Priest

I will also pop these on my first post

(if i have missed anyones let me know and i will slot it in)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

re-bump!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast