Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Let Me In" - Remake of the Swedish film "Let The Right One In"

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not a fan of this. As seen with so many of the Japanese horror movies (Ring, Grudge, etc...), another culture's view of horror is often darker and more monotonous than American's like. They're not flashy and not "jump out at you" scary. They leave the plot to speak for itself and use tension and visuals for the horror.

Let the right one in is the same way. i.e.
    Spoiler:
    Oskar is in the pool being held under. Eli there's the living shit out of the kids, but you never see anything more than a drop of blood in the water. You can only imagine the ass-whooping she gave them, which means it is better than being shown. You know the remake is going to have a big gorey scene with mini female vamire from hell bouncing around ripping off heads and arms with sprays of blood shooting all directions.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

very true

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

the only time I've ever liked an american remake more than the original was with quarantine, the remake of the mexican horror film REC
    It was almost the exact same film, shot for shot except that the ending was freakier

beyond that one exception I prefer the original versions of films hopefully in their original language with good subtitles

And quarantine/REC is a nasty slap-bam gorefest in either version

Let the right one in is subtle and nuanced in ways that I dont think can be copied
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I just dont like how it seems like we americans are too stupid to handle anything not specially made for us and for the most part there is little done to contradict this
    This is what I've failed to understand ever since I learned, many years ago, that there was an American movie for just about every real film. I've tried to treat this problem in one of the threads long ago, - namely, that American culture seems determined to aspire to as perfect cultural isolation as possible.

Melike: I am happy to see that we think basically the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I just dont like how it seems like we americans are too stupid to handle anything not specially made for us and for the most part there is little done to contradict this
    I completely agree.

Also I feel like a lot of the time they dumb them down for us, and take away the essence of the film. The remake of Dark Water is one that initially comes to mind. And that's what worries me with this one being remade as well.
    American culture does aspire to isolate itself from the rest of the world as it holds itself in much higher esteem than other countries. WE'RE the country that broke off from an oppressive government to form a new land of freedom and opportunity with liberty and justice for all!

They're not dumbing it down for Americans,* they're simply adapting it to a more American frame of mind so that it can be more accessible to Americans.

I agree that most remakes are unnecessary, but reinterpretations are another matter completely. I do tend to judge each on its own when possible, but I dislike, as a rule, all adaptations of Asian horror. Asian culture is so drastically different from American in many ways, especially horror, that I can understand why it is done. However, it is almost always fails. Aside from the subtle nuances that Hollywood misses, there is a different attitude toward horror and the supernatural. American film characters are long on denying it, whereas their Asian counterparts usually quickly adjust to the idea. I find that a difficult gulf for Hollywood to cross satisfactorily.

*Note: Not how I feel, just rationalizations I have heard.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Having read the script for this film and early screening reviews, I can safely say that this version is little more than a dumbed-down version of the original film with the provocative and ambiguous elements from the original film removed.

I'll give them credit for not ageing the kids and making it Twilight (although that's what the producers initially asked for) but that's as far as I'll go.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I just saw the trailer for the remake last night after i watched the original again, and I really hate that they make it look like some scary thriller/slasher type movie. I fear that the point of the movie will be lost in the "hollywood" of it all.
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

If you like it, click to go vote!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice !

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears have clicked, not sure if the vote went through

My Mood
    Worried

Thanks!

Jean, I should've been clearer on voting. Once you click the picture, you go to the voting page. Then you click on the cheeseburgers above the image to vote - a scale of 1 to 5 cheeseburgers, with 5 being Awesome!

*wolfhug* Thankee for voting.

Country
    Country Flag

I hope I have done it now

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

voted
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Worried

Thanks, guys! *wolfhug*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2