Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would happen to the world without Internet for a month?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default What would happen to the world without Internet for a month?

No Internet for a month all over the world.
    I guess most of the companies, spies and the military would have some serious problems but what I am interested in is the everyday people.
    How would we react?
    How would we spend the first days and then the first weeks? Would people come around more often? Would it change our habits for good?
    Just imagine... no FB no Twitter no mails no DT.com.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If I went a day without internet I'd build it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Torrance is on a distinguished road Jack Torrance's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know how the world would react however I know it wouldn't matter much to me. I would write more or read more.
    "You've had your whole F***ing life to think things over, what good's a few minutes minutes more gonna do you now?"

Gunslinger Apprentice JRM is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't speak of such things!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guys, use your imagination.
    I think I could do quite fine without it, too for a month. But I am sure there are many people out there who would feel quite lost without it. They would have too much free time to face themselves and their life. For example the ones who keep playing lots of games on it and are quite addicted to them. But I believe after the first hard week most of the people would realise there is life beside the Internet, too.
    Still I am quite sure most of the people would get back quite quickly to their old habits after getting back the net.

In nutshell: it wouldn't change the world a bit.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Sincerely, a month without TDT and my friends here ... that would truly stink.

I would feel rather lost. I get my news, friends and family contact, entertainment and a lot of my work done via the internet.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Sincerely, a month without TDT and my friends here ... that would truly stink.
    This.

Misha would be very upset, too.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I would lose my job and be homeless and broke from spending all my $s flying to come see you people.

Seriously I'd read a lot more and be lonely.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It would make life very difficult....

But I'd survive.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I would be locked in a room with padded wallpaper within three days.

Seriously. I do EVERYTHING on the 'net.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd miss my friends here at TDT obviously, but I wouldn't miss it too much. I have a myriad of activities outside of the virtual world to keep me busy.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I'd miss my friends here at TDT obviously, but I wouldn't miss it too much. I have a myriad of activities outside of the virtual world to keep me busy.
    You realize, of course, that no internet also means no online gaming, right?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I would have a clean house, folded laundry, every book in my house read...probably multiple times!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I'm guessing the world economy would come to a screeching halt considering the number of companies that rely on the internet for day-to-day business.

As for me, I'd live. Pretty much the only time I'm on it is during lunches and breaks at work. I'm hardly on it at all when I'm at home.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    You realize, of course, that no internet also means no online gaming, right?
    Actually, I do little to no gaming online. I use the PSN primarily for patches/updates. The last game I played online was Resistance 2 with Mike (Still Servant) back in .... January ? February ?

Gunslinger Apprentice Cujo56 is on a distinguished road Cujo56's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

All reality and no internet makes Jack a dull boy.

Well all know the ending to that story......

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i think on a personal level people would adapt quite swiftly, - on line for individuals is still a fairly new thing in the grand scheme of things, and people would remember what they did before the age of facebook

i do know people who are addicted to on line gaming, but i think they would just get addicted to some other gaming

however, i think companies would suffer quite badly though as they are mostly 100% reliant on it. When our computer went down last month - there was NOTHING we could do work wise. (it was ace)

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I remember life before the internet
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

As do I , my life was just fine then, and as for missing you guys
    I have free long distance.....do I have your # ?
    PM it to me please, before the system goes down for good.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So you're saying you're NOT devoting every second to us you could be?

If you rescue me

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I'd have to go back to writing actual checks to pay my bills and use the USPS, write more letters instead of emails, get out the REAL Scrabble board and actually drive across town to play with one of my local friends (which I do today on FB). No eBay, so I'd be back to digging through stuff at the local auction houses and bookstores. Come to think of it, I might actually have time to finish organizing my SK collection and logging tons of things I've missed. Plus, like Karen said, my house would be cleaner and my laundry would be all caught up!

Hmm . . . . . . maybe I need some self-imposed restraint, cuz all that doesn't sound so terrible. I'd really miss all you guys HERE, but . . .

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    Wow, I'd have to go back to writing actual checks to pay my bills and use the USPS, write more letters instead of emails, get out the REAL Scrabble board and actually drive across town to play with one of my local friends (which I do today on FB). No eBay, so I'd be back to digging through stuff at the local auction houses and bookstores. Come to think of it, I might actually have time to finish organizing my SK collection and logging tons of things I've missed. Plus, like Karen said, my house would be cleaner and my laundry would be all caught up!

Hmm . . . . . . maybe I need some self-imposed restraint, cuz all that doesn't sound so terrible. I'd really miss all you guys HERE, but . . .
    Well in fact it sounds pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo56 View Post
    All reality and no internet makes Jack a dull boy.

Well all know the ending to that story......
    I love this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I remember life before the internet
    So do I and I feel sorry for the new generation and those who were born with an Ipod in their hand.
    I remember when I was about 8 and I had a penfriend and every week I was deadly excited to get her letters. Sometimes I couldn't stop crying I was so happy (yep, I used to be a sensitive kid). And then when I was about 12 or 13 during the summer holiday me and my best friends kept in touch by sending letters to each other. One letter was as long as a book. I read them many times before I felt like answering.
    No, I wouldn't like to turn time back but I am so happy I could meet that world.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I would miss my friends too much, personally.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I remember when I was about 8 and I had a penfriend and every week I was deadly excited to get her letters. Sometimes I couldn't stop crying I was so happy (yep, I used to be a sensitive kid). And then when I was about 12 or 13 during the summer holiday me and my best friends kept in touch by sending letters to each other. One letter was as long as a book. I read them many times before I felt like answering.
    No, I wouldn't like to turn time back but I am so happy I could meet that world.
    Same! I had penfriends in France, Holland and other parts of England that I wrote to all the time - I still love getting and sending letters

I think I'd be alot more productive if I didn't have the internet. About, well it must have been 6 or 7 years ago before I joined tdt.net, I sold my computer because I felt like I was spending far too much time on the internet. I was without it for 6 months and did alot more art and left the house alot more in the day time. Then someone offered to give us a computer and I went back to my bad habits

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast