Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Cronin Spoilers!!!

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's cool - it's a great book so far, with a long way to go to tell the tale.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cujo56 is on a distinguished road Cujo56's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got about 30 pages left and kinda bummed about that.
    I received my signed copy from River Run and I've got to say, I'm impressed with their shipping.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finished the book last night. It was a good read. I look forward to the next one.

I got my signed copy from Riverrun and it was shipped in a padded envelope that took a hell of a beating on it's way to me. I was not impressed at all. The book didn't have any major damage other than the edges being dinged. I am the type of person who dosen't purchase dinged copies, so if I had seen this copy for sale on ebay I would not have bothered with it.

Live and learn...

Life is a garden...dig it!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If it were me, I'd call and complain. I'm the kind of person that if I pay for something that should be in good condition, I expect it to be in that condition when it arrives. Whether it's their fault of the post office's, you shouldn't have to pay for a damaged copy. Again, just my opinion.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice Cujo56 is on a distinguished road Cujo56's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

When I called them to order, I asked if they would ship the book in a box and that's what they did. Book was wrapped and padded in the box.

Banned demorgan is on a distinguished road

ordered a couple from Powel's books(bret easton ellis signed there..so, 2 birds one order).....not really impressed with their policies concerning pre-orders. Probably wont order from them if I can help it.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I really enjoyed this book. It was quite unique, yet it was obvious that the author has read the same post-apocolypse books I have (The Stand and Swan Song).
    I think the characters and their relationships are what makes the story interesting and keeps me reading. I guess there are some people who would rather focus on the action, but I like to see how the characters deal with the situations they find themselves in.
    I can't say I liked the ending.
    ~a great big raspberry to cliffhangers~
    If I heard right, this will be the first in a trilogy...
    I can't wait to find out what happens to everyone.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I leafed through this book at my local B&N and was shocked to see the book set in Times New Roman.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Many things have shocked me through the years, but never a font.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well it just looks amateurish, as if printed by a student from Word. For a major publisher, couldn't they used a more bookish font, like I dunno, Garamond?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, I understand! it just was so great how Brice put it, "many things...etc"

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally understand what you meant, Pablo. It's just when I think of fonts I don't think shocking...and vice versa. My brain would have exploded if I hadn't made that comment. Please don't take me (or anything else for that matter) too seriously.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Sure I understand. I just take it so seriously, because book design is one of my loves as a book collector. This book is designed very well, has an attractive cover, it's just the font is totally bland and that's actually a big deal, even though it may not seem like it.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished and like everyone else im abit anoyed about the ending ... not sure i can wait 2 years but i always thought a good book was all about the journey and not just the ending ... and really it was a great read!

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finished it this weekend as well. As a long time fantasy reader, I was not upset by the ending at all. Book One in a trilogy will set the story and begin to develop the characters, and will have a resolution at the end, but it won't answer all of the questions. Book Two will answer more, but still leave the story open so it can finish in the final Book Three. Lord of the Rings is a good example of this. I'm sure a lot of mainstream fiction readers have never experienced a trilogy before, so they may be a little upset. The waiting for the next part is always the worst. Had to wait three years in between Star Wars films...

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Default Collecting Cronin

Interesting to see if Cronin's 1st/1st books will ever be worth anything.

He will have to keep pumping them out to get the kind of collecting power you find with King.

Reasons to collect:
    1. Massive book hype for The Passage
    2. Movie deal by Ridley Scott already in the works
    3. Good story with at least 2 more books to come (3 book trilogy = even bigger money for 4th, 5th, etc... books where Cronin dictates his "share" of the profits which will be substantial.
    4. Vampires are a hot topic for the mainstream these days and this book is milking this (publisher not necessarily Cronin)

Reasons they won't be collectible like King (at least from a value standpoint):
    1. Cronin won't be as prolific as King. HUGE paycheck on 1st novel rather than having to grind it out and then getting the big payoff. I mean 1 book ever 2 years? jeez! Get to work!
    2. Book isn't about Vampires
    3. Pseudo-vampires does not = young likeable Potteresque figure to lure in the entire young population of the world, so locks out the market segment that spends/pushes parents to spend money and keep the dream alive. Have to come up with another idea for a book other than his previous "sensy" books.

I grabbed a s/l, a flatsigned, and a personalized signed copy just to hedge my bets. hehehehe!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ahhhh, it's part of a trilogy! Well that's alright then

I just finished without knowing that and thought, hey, I don't mind a cliffhanger but there's no closure in that at all! But that's cool, I can wait

As Bev said, I noticed echoes of I Am Legend and the Stand. I also thought it was quite like Margaret Atwood's The Handmaiden's Tale in parts and the feel of the writing akin to Doris Lessing's sci fi work.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just hope I'm still around when the last book comes out. I'm not getting any younger here!

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I hear you, John!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

NSFW:

Spoiler:

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

That is awesome!

Gunslinger Apprentice LineofEld is on a distinguished road LineofEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

NSFW:

Spoiler:

Dang... I wish I could W like that.
    "I have long stopped asking why the mad do mad things."

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Practice!

Amazing, but I'm still not shocked.

If you rescue me

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I found the book to be very well written and entertaining. IMO there was a strong Stand/Dark Tower vibe to the story.
    I've also read The Summer Guest and enjoyed it as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast