Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: There Ought to be a Law

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, we tsk-tsk and shake our heads. This is the very point: there are things that can be legally regulated, and there are things that can't. It ultimately depends on the system of values, and on how much people want to integrate: what is universally considered comme il faut, and how desirable it is for a person to follow it. There's no other way to make people behave themselves. If it pays to be nice, people will tend to be nice. If it doesn't - if their reference group thinks that swearing in front of kids is cool, and it's their reference group that provides guidelines for society - no number of arrests, finings, etc will change anything, except deepen the abyss between those few (and fewer) who want to be nice and those many (and growing in number) who bully them around. If we want to break this tendency, society should learn to use subtler mechanisms.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

You cannot legislate morality.
    I wish my lawmakers would realize this.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    You cannot legislate morality.
    I wish my lawmakers would realize this.
    I agree - but then we need to have a clear distinction between what we consider strictly moral issues vs. what can be legislated. Why touching my breasts without my consent can be against the law, while saying "f*cking c*nt" in my presence can not? There is no physical harm done in either case, only moral suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Yes, we tsk-tsk and shake our heads. This is the very point: there are things that can be legally regulated, and there are things that can't. It ultimately depends on the system of values, and on how much people want to integrate: what is universally considered comme il faut, and how desirable it is for a person to follow it. There's no other way to make people behave themselves. If it pays to be nice, people will tend to be nice. If it doesn't - if their reference group thinks that swearing in front of kids is cool, and it's their reference group that provides guidelines for society - no number of arrests, finings, etc will change anything, except deepen the abyss between those few (and fewer) who want to be nice and those many (and growing in number) who bully them around. If we want to break this tendency, society should learn to use subtler mechanisms.
    Well, you're diving people in two groups: (1) those who have the responsibility and decency to behave properly, and (2) those who do not - these two groups will behave in accordance with their inner morality, or a lack thereof, regardless of the environment. I feel that these are two "extremes", so to speak, and there is a much larger intermediate group between them, who would benefit from setting certain boundaries. Oh, this reminds me of that well-known effect and experiment (jeez, can't remember what it's called) - spread some litter on the street and draw graffiti on the walls, and everything on that street will go downhill, i.e. soon you will have broken windows, vandalized cars, etc. To me, swearing in public is another element in that row.
    How do we, as a society, come to consider something comme il faut or not? What are those subtler mechanisms and why do you think they can be efficient against the "bullies" who outnumber the "decent" people? Oh, and what those "decent" people are supposed to do until the society reaches that stage? I mean, you and I can very well observe that, left to their own devices, masses of people tend to spiral all the way down - it's as if it is natural for humans to cluster together at the lowest possible denominator.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

::sigh::
    yes, wife, you're right too...
    (from an old Jewish joke)

you know, you are talking about immediate causes/effect process, and I am sure no result, or only very uncertain result - with immense possibility of backlash - can be achieved in this way. What I mean is reversing the roles. What we had for decades was unnatural and suicidal for society, but things will change for better as soon as priorities change, from immediate grab-and-run to forming normal capitalist relationships. We need bourgeoisie, and bourgeois values, and we need them to triumph, however unpleasant they are for bohemians like bears. An easy example is how much safer you feel in any Western country than in Russia: even in the districts all residents of which complain nonstop about the rate of crime, the odds that you'll be mugged, robbed, or have your possessions stolen, are beyond compare lower than in Russia. Because only hopeless junkies will risk their social status for the miserable contents of your purse. Behavior is a function of status. People who have nothing to lose behave differently from those who have worked hard to get what they have, and thus have everything to lose.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I understand what you're saying, and I'm hoping it will eventually work out for our country, too, despite the oft-cited "special way" of Russia. Forgive me for this quote in Russian, but lately it's been a favorite of mine: "Вот только жить в эту пору прекрасную уж не придется ни мне, ни тебе." (Nekrasov)
    Right now I am extremely pessimistic about any possibility for priorities to change in any foreseeable future (and no way for someone like me to do something about it). I feel that what we have now is even more suicidal - not just for society as a whole but for very real individuals. What we do not have is clear rules, applicable to all, that do not change and aren't bent at a whim of the powers-that-be or whoever else. No society, no business, and no individual can have any prospects for development in such circumstances, so it's strictly 'survival of the fittest', with 'fittest' in this case meaning those with the lowest morals. It's an upside down world ::sigh::

/end rant

On a lighter note, an impression from today's lunch (all said in jest): I wish I could legislate sloppy eating - it's a wonder what kind of sounds some people can make simply by eating soup

Country
    Country Flag

agree with every word

a very apt Nekrasov quote indeed. I am beginning to wonder if the fact that I've never thought of it in all those years reflects my innate optimism, or my acquired pessimism (like, there's gonna be no "beautiful times" at all); afraid the latter, given all we have - which you described, alas, very accurately

Country
    Country Flag

As for me, I am an optimist when it comes to small everyday things, and on a grander scale, I'm a pessimist, but what's worrying me is that I'm quickly becoming cynical and suspicious of everything. ::sigh::

Country
    Country Flag

::sigh::

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

*cleans up his yard*
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

San Francisco De California, Cusco, Peru, Peru
    My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    My father and other people always told me that it is illegal to drive with flip-flops on in my state (PA) I always thought it was myth, but apparently it is true. I found out two years ago when I was waiting in line at a convenience store. Two state troopers came up to me and asked me if I was driving a car. I said yes.

They both got very angry at me a started yelling at me to take my flip-flops off and to put shoes on or drive barefoot! I just rolled my eyes at them. The state troopers started to tell me that it is very dangerous to wear flip-flops while driving a car.

The state troopers told me that the flip-flops could get stuck on the accelerator and people could get killed by an out of control car. Then they told me a story about how 5 people were killed in a parking lot in Florida because somebody was wearing flip-flops and lost control of their car. (They claimed the person was charged with vehicular homicide!) Well I don't want to kill anybody or break the law so I don't wear flip-flops while driving any more!
    I heard about this a long time ago and use to drive barefoot instead of with flip flops on - However you cant hold the rest of us responsible because of the what FLORIDA does!

In regards to the "swearing" people need to get over it and stop trying to control others. If you're afraid your precious snowflakes are going to hear it and be "damaged" then you need to stick to your house or church. Do not infringe on my right of free speech because you dont like it. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I have 5 children from ages 13 - 3 and have never cared about people swearing around them. Now if someone starts spewing racist shit or something that actually matters I'll remove my kids or talk to them about it afterwards. Guess what they're going to hear when they are in school and later in life? Yup get over it
    Check out my website for all sorts of Crocheted Goods. Not your grandma's crochet http://www.etsy.com/shop/yeahsurewhatever and my FB Fan Page too: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacifi...05080416199057

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Sure Whatever View Post
    In regards to the "swearing" people need to get over it and stop trying to control others. If you're afraid your precious snowflakes are going to hear it and be "damaged" then you need to stick to your house or church. Do not infringe on my right of free speech because you dont like it. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I have 5 children from ages 13 - 3 and have never cared about people swearing around them. Now if someone starts spewing racist shit or something that actually matters I'll remove my kids or talk to them about it afterwards. Guess what they're going to hear when they are in school and later in life? Yup get over it
    I'm pretty sure my kids do it. I sure know I did when I was their age. Just never around my parents.

My wife talked to a guy at her work that was upset about his step-daughter using the word "crap". I asked her how old the kid was.

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

San Francisco De California, Cusco, Peru, Peru
    My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

My 11 year old and his friends swear like only true South American Soccer fans can, but my son can do it in both languages. He does it when they're playing soccer though so what are ya gonna do?

My 13 year old on the other hand wont say a swear word to save her life!

OMG those crappy 17 year old!
    Check out my website for all sorts of Crocheted Goods. Not your grandma's crochet http://www.etsy.com/shop/yeahsurewhatever and my FB Fan Page too: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacifi...05080416199057

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3