• The Shining

5 13.16%
  • Desperation

1 2.63%
  • Black House

1 2.63%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FINAL: Most Frightening Published Work Award

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default FINAL: Most Frightening Published Work Award

As nominated by our membership in the nomination round and then the semi-final, please vote now for the work you feel should win the award for Most Frightening Published Work.

The 2009 finalists:

Desperation
    Gerald's Game
    It
    'Salem's Lot

The Boogeyman
    The Mist
    The Shining
    The Stand

2009 winner: Pet Sematary

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Got to be Pet Sematary!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think it will.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Pet Sematary.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    Got to be Pet Sematary!!!
    This is probably the only no-brainer award. 'Salem's Lot a close second.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It should be in first two.

PS: i think this is the third post in a row about IT that i made... In differents thread of course...

Country
    Country Flag

if not for Pet Sematary, I would have voted for Desperation

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dagavidiab View Post

PS: i think this is the third post in a row about IT that i made... In differents thread of course...

This is the only book that has ever really truly scared me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice JRM is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Pet Sematary
    Then I'll have IT
    . . . And surprisingly Bag of Bones.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

got to be the shining, for me anyways. It may be that i was younger when i first read it but i found it to be the scariest book, ever.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

Same here!

But.., read The Sleepless from Graham Masterton, it gets really close in the "scare the %& out of me" area

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

1. Pet Sematary
    2. "The Boogeyman"
    3. "1408"
    4. It
    5. Cujo
    6. Black House
    7. The Shining
    8. Bag of Bones
    etc. , etc.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    if not for Pet Sematary, I would have voted for Desperation

Yeah, that's my conundrum. Pet Semetary is horrifying. Perhaps the most gut-wrenching horrifying thing King has ever written. But frightening? I'll throw my vote toward Desperation, knowing all the while that Pet Semetary will win and that's all right with me.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

Same here!

But.., read The Sleepless from Graham Masterton, it gets really close in the "scare the %& out of me" area
    Thanks! I'm going to have to try to track down a copy
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Voted for Pet Sematary.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

It was scary as hell, and so were quite a few of others, but Pet Sematary was, for me at least, differently scary... Like, in all other scary stories you plunge into the story and live the scary stuff together with its characters, and Pet Sematary does just the opposite - it reaches out to you, with some invisible tentacle into your own life and the part of the multiverse where you, the reader, felt more or less safe prior to that - and changes it forever. The only other book I know that possesses the same quality is Desperation, but, while Desperation is both deeper and more complex, Pet Sematary is scarier. Ever scarier, I mean.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I found Pet Semetary gruesome but not scary. For me no other story sped me through on adreneline like 'Salem's Lot did the first time I read it back in 1976. King's slow build up added so much atmosphere and credibility to the concept that I was able to believe what I was reading. As SK says in his recent intro to the book "Most of all I like the moment where it takes off like a big-ass bird". And once it took off the thrills began!

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Pet sematary.
    The second one would have been The Long Walk for me if that's considered a King book.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

The Shining scared the shit out of me. And that's not easy to do.

+ Reply to Thread