10 14.93%
  • Quality of the Story's Ending: Graded "C"

2 2.99%
  • Never Read

10 14.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Group 3: Misery

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Group 3: Misery

Misery, 1987

Please grade Misery in the following three areas using the grades A, B, or C:
    • Strength of Plot
    • Character Development
    • Quality of the Story's Ending

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure to select only one grade in each grading area. For complete instructions, see this post.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is one of King's best works to date. I think I would have to put it in my top ten, if I ever actually made a King top ten list that is.

All A's.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool, three votes thus far, including mine, and all are straight As!

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Straight A's.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, this one is getting very consistently high marks.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, this one was easy

Quality of the Story's Ending is actually A++++++++++++++; it's the best King's ending I personally know.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, for me the character development was very easy to grade. Annie Wilkes is one of King's best villains. She is so believable. This is one of my favorites because there is nothing supernatural about it, there is just one seriously fucked up lady.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

AAA ... and another one of my favourites! I really do love this book!

Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised this book didn't rate higher in Round 1, only garnering the 16th spot. I feel it could've placed in the top 10.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Me too All A's and kudos to the POV that AW is just
    one seriously messed up woman.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm trying to be tough in this voting; I'd hate to give all of the books all A's... but even though this is not my very favorite SK, I just could not find fault with any of those areas. AAA *shrug*

John F. Kennedy NicNac is on a distinguished road NicNac's Avatar

Yeah, I'm trying to be tough too, but this got straight A's from me. And, in thinking about it more, I think I need to add this to my fave's list, b/c this really is one of my favorite King novels.

Though, I did see the movie first, and Kathy Bates will ALWAYS be Annie to me...normally that kind of thing bothers me, but in this case...I love it.

And I agree, one of the best things about this novel is that there's no supernatural...hell, as humans, we don't NEED supernatural stuff to be scary; we're scary as hell all on our own.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

AAA. I literally stayed up half the night to finish this, it was so good.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I found it too "one demential."
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. This round Misery has earned an OAG (overall average grade) of 2.807017544 or 93.57% in addition to its FAS (final average score), making it 7.186764379 or 89.83%. In 2009, Misery received an OAG of 2.727272727 for a FAS of 7.127272727, so it gained 0.059491652 (+0.83%) this time.

Grade breakdown:
    Strength of Plot: 2.807017544 (93.57%)
    Character Development: 2.859649123 (95.32%)
    Quality of the Story's Ending: 2.754385965 (91.81%)

Country
    Country Flag

Great showing by one of my favorite King novels! I don't know if it'll be enough to catapult it from 16th into the Top 10 for Round 3, but I certainly hope so!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    lol, I don't agree, but I can see your point. on the wordplay.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    lol, I don't agree, but I can see your point. on the wordplay.
    applause from bears

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Jon, I'm your number one fan.
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread