i read this twice while i was away;

i spent the flight home thinking about it and what questions i wanted to ask the Book Club in regards to the book. I am struggling to narrow it down to just a few questions though here are a few but i am hoping that the discussion will open up a lot more

a) how close do you think todays society is to the books fictional society
b) what were your thoughts on the characters, were they well formed?

c) what is your interpretation of the book

the reason i am struggling with the questions for this book are
this book was unlike any other book i have ever read, it made me look at my life very closely and i do not like what i see. I loved this book, and i will probabley read i again and again and find something new each time i read it. this book made me cry with how much we as a society seem to have lost but also to see how close it mirrored my own life. And i do not apologise for the drama of any statement i make in this review, as i feel very strongly about this book

a)
i believe with great sadness that we are more at less coming to or have arrived at the point where the book takes place. I walk to work and i see people with the ipods in, each in their own world, walking past people as if they dont exist. I see people watching their TV and taking it for fact what they are told, i see these same people get so angry and sad at fictional lives yet ignore their neighbours who are in need.

i see people ridiculed for their knowledge, for reading books, for not fitting the normal. I see stupidity rewarded and honoured.

b) i loved the characters in this book, i see people i know in every character in the book. and i weep because of it

c) the book is not about censorship in my eyes, the book is a warning to us about how we can ignore the people we love the most in favour of strangers. How intelligence is muted by todays 'entertainment'

i am really looking forward to reading other peoples views on this book and to see if anyone else was touched as i was by it?