Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: "Super 8" WTF is it!?

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default "Super 8" WTF is it!?

Leave it to Abrams to again release a trailer that screws with our brains.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwYpSMsD-Y"]YouTube- JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg New SUPER 8 Trailer![/ame]

EDIT: Was able to find a trailer that wasn't bootleg finally uploaded to Youtube.

Anyways, I can assure you that this time around, it doesn't look like another "barfcam" movie like "Cloverfield" (and hey I loved Cloverfield, but apparently people couldn't get past the camera thing... but whatever).

So what the hell is it? Anyone have any clues beyond this trailer?

I'm heading to unfiction.com to see if there's a fake website or something like there was for Cloverfield.

And look there is. I'm not a computer wiz, so... I aint gonna figure this crap out:

http://www.scariestthingieversaw.com/
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I have no idea what it is, but it looks really good
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I think I need to add. This is most definitely not a sequel or prequel to Cloverfield as was stated by J. J. Abrams himself.
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

Gunslinger Apprentice JRM is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hm. Looks like some kind of alien movie.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, like a "Look what escaped Area 51!" type thing...only better.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice Cujo56 is on a distinguished road Cujo56's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought this thread was about the hotel Super 8, but this is much better. Can't wait to see what to hear more about the movie

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

From the text on the trailer, Area 51 is well-known enough, but not sure how well-know Hanger 18, at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is.

Hanger 18 seems a likely destination for the train.

As far as the Title, Super 8, I think it referring to the film being used. The way the trailer ends by zooming out the a view of a camera lense, I think it's an old super 8 video camera.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Details surface on spooky Abrams-Spielberg project
    May 7, 2010

-By Ace Fernandez and Borys Kit

What if Stephen King and J.K. Rowling brainstormed an idea together? Just how big would the potential audience be?

Cosmic.

Well, moviemaking heavyweights J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg began collaborating on a hush-hush project a year ago called "Super 8" that they concocted from discussions of their own early filmmaking experiences. Despite Bad Robot's Cheney-level secrecy, bits and pieces about the project (some right, some wrong) started bubbling up last week.

Well, I saw the teaser trailer last night, and here's what I can finally tell you:
    Abrams has written the original script and will direct the film this fall for a summer 2011 release through Paramount, where Bad Robot resides. Spielberg is producing the project, along with Abrams and his producing partner Bryan Burk. The film will be in the $45 million-$50 million range.

It has nothing to do with "Cloverfield" and will be shot traditionally (i.e. not hand-held). It's potentially a huge movie for Paramount, despite its midrange budget, which is why it's got a slot during Paramount's already crowded 2011 summer slate.

The studio will have to fit it in with "Thor," "Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom," "Transformers 3," "First Avenger: Captain America" and the Abrams-produced "Mission: Impossible 4." (UPDATE: Paramount has shifted "M:i4's" tentative Memorial Day release date back to Dec. 16.) And "Star Trek 2" isn't expected until June 29, 2012, with an as-yet-unfinished screenplay by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof, so Abrams could still direct that after "Super 8" if he chose (which, technically, he hasn't yet).

But on to the trailer. It's 90 seconds long and plays out with utter simplicity. I'll leave it to others to ruin the surprises for the multitudes flocking to see it run in front of "Iron Man 2's" midnight screenings tonight (the trailer is not actually attached to the "IM2" reels, though they are locked away together in combo-locked canisters as they're delivered this morning to theaters at 8 a.m.).

But it's straightforward, effective and very, very enticing. Abrams shot it independently of the actual film shoot about a month ago, and the Bad Robot team cut together the teaser while putting together his new NBC series "Undercovers" and the trailer for their November release "Morning Glory" over the past month.

In terms of tweaking audience appetite for absolutely having to see the movie, Abrams and Spielberg are masters. This quick, visceral and creepy tease of "Super 8" certainly does the trick.

What it doesn't let anyone in on is the plot of the movie or the rest of the context that we had heard actually generated the idea. Namely, the possibility that a group of kids in 1979 are playing around making movies with their Super 8 cameras (as Abrams and Spielberg did as kids) and accidentally capture something ... sinister, on film.

Now, despite all our requests, Abrams and camp have refused to confirm anything about the plot. Abrams has said he doesn't want to comment on this -- he'd rather maintain the mystery and let the images speak for themselves.

Fair enough, and certainly expected. So take all these plot descriptions you're reading around the web with a giant heap of salt.

But the project is being produced by Amblin along with Bad Robot. So if you can imagine the supernatural styles of current BR and early '80s Spielberg combined, you should have a pretty good idea of where all this is going.

Bad Robot's first feature project, "Cloverfield," was rolled out in a similarly out-of-nowhere fashion, its teaser also filmed and cut together independent of the movie shoot. That teaser was thrown on the front of "Transformers" when it hit theaters in the summer of 2007. That monster movie ultimately grossed $168 million worldwide for Paramount when it opened in January 2008.

But again, "Super 8" has nothing to do with "Cloverfield." And "Super 8" is a solo J.J. Abrams movie, something we've never seen before and something sure to play much bigger.
    -The Hollywood Reporter

Life is a garden...dig it!

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo56 View Post
    I thought this thread was about the hotel Super 8, but this is much better. Can't wait to see what to hear more about the movie
    me too!

it looks bloody good though and abrahams and speilberg, cant get better than that

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I saw the trailer for this with Iron Man 2 yesterday. What I love about it - it totally and completely invokes the feeling of Close Encounters!!!

Looks great ... until you see those scary words ---- NEXT Summer.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lophophoras View Post
    The studio will have to fit it in with "Thor," "Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom," "Transformers 3," "First Avenger: Captain America" and the Abrams-produced "Mission: Impossible 4." (UPDATE: Paramount has shifted "M:i4's" tentative Memorial Day release date back to Dec. 16.) And "Star Trek 2" isn't expected until June 29, 2012, with an as-yet-unfinished screenplay by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof, so Abrams could still direct that after "Super 8" if he chose (which, technically, he hasn't yet).
    To quote Peter Griffin: "Woe, woe, woe, woe, woe, woe... woe... woe."

That is a loaded paragraph right there. I'm too tired right now and must sleep but will definitely be looking up news on those films.

Make a caption

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I saw the trailer for this with Iron Man 2 yesterday. What I love about it - it totally and completely invokes the feeling of Close Encounters!!!

Looks great ... until you see those scary words ---- NEXT Summer.
    I know right! The anticipation till it's finally released is going to kill me

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Here's the HD trailer

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Must. Not. Click.

Know. It's. Blocked.

AUGH!

Incidentally, I thought this thread was about 8mm film, and it sort of is! We still have our old Super 8 camera, the projector we used for watching our home movies, and the screen - as well as most of our home movies and a classic Mighty Mouse cartoon. I've been meaning to see if they're still viewable.

They're lucky. My parents never let us "play" with the Super 8. Oh hell no.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Gunslinger Apprentice High_Desert_Gunslinger is on a distinguished road High_Desert_Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

looks interesting. can't wait to see more though

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Here's the HD trailer
    Thanks, Bev. Looks very interesting.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

My definition of a "Super 8" is an RV-8 that has a 6 cylinder, 260 HP O-540 in it insted of the recomended 4 cylinder 180 HP O-360.

I know this is completely off topic, but since you asked WTF a Super 8 is, thats my answer.
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

Country
    Country Flag

Alright I edited the original post up there. A nonbootleg version of the trailer was finally uploaded to Youtube. Enjoy.

Make a caption

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

There's something from Todash space in there...and this...this has to be some advanced viral marketing for either Song of Susannah or The Dark Tower...I wish...

It is an pretty intriguing trailer. I'm interested in finding out why the truck decided to take that train head-on. I've seen some speculation that there's an infant Clovie in there. I doubt it, though. Of course I wouldn't put it past Abrams to have this as an unnofficial sequel to Cloverfield.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    There's something from Todash space in there...and this...this has to be some advanced viral marketing for either Song of Susannah or The Dark Tower...I wish...

It is an pretty intriguing trailer. I'm interested in finding out why the truck decided to take that train head-on. I've seen some speculation that there's an infant Clovie in there. I doubt it, though. Of course I wouldn't put it past Abrams to have this as an unnofficial sequel to Cloverfield.
    Abrams already said it's not anything to do with Cloverfield. Besides, Cloverfield WAS an infant.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Rocket Poppeteers

Has anyone joined up?

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what the hell is that
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

I have absolutely no idea But it's somehow related to the movie.